Cadet Promotions

Started by capchiro, October 26, 2005, 05:49:25 PM

capchiro

When and how are cadets promoted in your squadron?  On Moral Leadership night, at special times, on testing night?  Does your squadron provide the metal rank at the time of promotion or do the cadets purchase them?  One or two pieces, or three (including blues?)?  Does your squadron provide ribbons with each promotion or do the cadets buy them?  What about ribbon holders?  How about shoulder boards for cadet officers?  How big of a thing is promotion in your squadron?  Is something different done for the seniors when they get promoted?  What percent of your squadron is able to earn promotions every two to three months?  10%, 50%, none?  What is the average time between promotion for most cadets at your squadron.   I appreciate it.   
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Pylon

I'll take a stab at parts of this, while I pass the hours here at work.  :)

I've got most of my cadet programs experience from two units.  We'll call them Unit A and Unit B for simplicity sake.

Both do regular cadet promotions at closing formation, as soon as the cadet earns the promotion.  If a cadet fulfills the last of the requirements on a certain night, the squadron will sign-off the paperwork and do a little promotion ceremony at closing.  For your non-milestone promotions, this usually consists of: Calling the cadet front-and-center of the Squadron Commander, announcing the promotion to the whole unit, pinning on the new chevrons/epaulets, shaking the cadet's hand, and doing the whole salute back-n-forth and return to the ranks.  When the commander does the grab n' grin handshake, the whole unit claps.

It's a nice little ceremony that leaves a fuzzy feeling inside for the promoted cadet, but still allows you to do 3 or 4 promotions in a reasonable amount of time if need be.  The whole exchange can be pulled off in a minute or so, if the promoter is adept at those little clutchbacks.   ;D

Unit's A and B also both trade-up insignia.  For example, C/SSgt Snuffy gets promoted to C/TSgt.  Snuffy can come in with as many chevrons as he or she has, and trade them into squadron supply for C/TSgt chevrons.  Sure, the squadron looses a few cents each time you trade up a grade but it's negligible and not worth worrying about. 

In Unit B, when the cadet joins, they pay the squadron a pre-determined price (about $30) that includes all the items they'll need (nametapes, nameplates, cutouts, belts, covers, slingshots, etc.).  So they're issued a set of cut-outs to begin with (though they actually are paying for it).  From then on, unless they want more than two cutouts, they can trade-up all they way to C/CMSgt.

Even though you need two chevrons for the BDUs now, but still need one chevron plus a CAP cut-out for blues a cadet can still get away with only owning two chevrons and switching one between BDUs and Blues as necessary.

Unit's A and B both currently charge for ribbons, a flat-price, such as 60 cents.  When a cadet earns a promotion, they generally come buy the ribbon from supply, though some of the more saavy individuals order their own stuff right from The Hock or CAPMart.  I am considering a change of this policy for Unit B to issuing one free ribbon when it is initially earned -- it's certainly something we need to consider and I think it's a nice inexpensive gesture of appreciation, as well.

As for ribbon holders and shoulder boards, every unit I have experienced generally lays the burden of cost upon the cadet.  In Unit B, I know recently when we did a Mitchell promotion, the unit provided the first set of shouldermarks with minature insignia, cloth insignia for the BDUs, and the one large insignia for the flight cap.  I'm not sure how Unit A does it now, but back in '98 when I got my Mitchell, they did the same deal.

Promotions can be a big deal, especially for the Milestones.  I think they ought to be, too.  It helps unit and individual morale and it doesn't take much effort to do it right.

Promotion times at Unit B are pretty big.  It takes cadets a long time to promote (6+ months often for a grade).  Unit A however, has had quicker promotion rates statistically, keeping around the average 2-4 months per promotion for some of the younger ones.

Hope this helps (and I hope I'm not the only one to share!  ;) )
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

MIKE

Quote from: capchiro on October 26, 2005, 05:49:25 PM
When and how are cadets promoted in your squadron?

Usually following a satisfactory Promotion Review Board. (Edit: See below for more detail on the promotion ceremony itself.)

Quote from: capchiro on October 26, 2005, 05:49:25 PMDoes your squadron provide the metal rank at the time of promotion or do the cadets purchase them?  One or two pieces, or three (including blues?)?

Cadets purchase their cutouts as part of their initial uniform upon joining the unit... IIRC this fee also factors in cost of the cadet grade insignia from C/Amn to C/CMSgt on a trade in basis... Cadets were required to purchase a second grade insignia with the change to the insignia requirements for the BDU... Subsequent cadets will be issued two grade insignia via the trade in process with the increase in cost factored into their uniform packages.

Quote from: capchiro on October 26, 2005, 05:49:25 PMDoes your squadron provide ribbons with each promotion or do the cadets buy them?  What about ribbon holders?

Cadets purchase ribbons, but IIRC the Curry and a single ribbon bar is included in the unit uniform packages.  I'm not sure but I think that if ribbon bars are traded in a percentage of the total cost is defrayed for the new one.

Quote from: capchiro on October 26, 2005, 05:49:25 PMHow about shoulder boards for cadet officers?

Most Cadet Officer stuff is a individual purchase item unless someone has traded in some insignia they no longer need.  Even then, they may have to pay for 'em.  IMO Cadet Officers should have to buy their own insignia.  

Quote from: capchiro on October 26, 2005, 05:49:25 PMHow big of a thing is promotion in your squadron?

Not too much of big deal IMO... Every promotion I have seen at this unit, even for a Mitchell presentation, has been done by the local leadership... There is a standardized promotion speech that is done for each promotion... Though I don't care for it personally.

Quote from: capchiro on October 26, 2005, 05:49:25 PMIs something different done for the seniors when they get promoted?

Not of the ones I have seen... Capt and below... Pretty much the same deal as the cadets... Even the same little promotion speech. 

Quote from: capchiro on October 26, 2005, 05:49:25 PMWhat percent of your squadron is able to earn promotions every two to three months?  10%, 50%, none?  What is the average time between promotion for most cadets at your squadron.

Not sure percentage wise.  We have a few rank crankers/fast burners... and it shows IMO. For the others the promotion rates are much slower or non-existent in a few cases...  I have seen many problems with cadets who progressed at the minimum TIG/TIS in my time in CAP, to include my own cadet experience, so I'm not a supporter of the rank cranker/fast burner.  Promoting just because you can get everything out of the way at the minimum TIG/TIS is a disservice to the cadet, the unit and CAP as whole IMO.  IMO our recruitment versus loss rates are pretty disappointing also, particularly for those in their first six months to a year of membership.
Mike Johnston

MIKE

Quote from: Pylon on October 26, 2005, 06:22:33 PM
I am considering a change of this policy for Unit B to issuing one free ribbon when it is initially earned -- it's certainly something we need to consider and I think it's a nice inexpensive gesture of appreciation, as well.

That's one thing I learned about the Coast Guard Auxiliary that I think is cool... When you get an award with an associated ribbon (which in most cases also has a corresponding mini-medal), you'll get the ribbon and mini-medal with the certificate on the Coast Guards dime.  For subsequent awards of the same ribbon/medal they only provide a certificate and the authorized attachment(s) though.  Still pretty cool IMO.
Mike Johnston

abysmal

Quote from: capchiro on October 26, 2005, 05:49:25 PM
When and how are cadets promoted in your squadron?  On Moral Leadership night, at special times, on testing night?

Promotions are held once a month, on the meeting night following testing.

Does your squadron provide the metal rank at the time of promotion or do the cadets purchase them? 

We provide them to the cadet at no cost.

One or two pieces, or three (including blues?)? 

Two pieces, sufficient for whichever uniform they are wearing at the time of promotion.
But, we also collect the previous rank and return it to inventory to be recycled again.

Does your squadron provide ribbons with each promotion or do the cadets buy them?

Ribbon is provided free of charge.

What about ribbon holders? 

Ribbon holders are provided free of charge, but the previous holder is collected and recycled.

How about shoulder boards for cadet officers?

IF we have them, they will be presented as well.

How big of a thing is promotion in your squadron? 

Depends on the Rank and the Score.
For Making 2LT, Capt or Maj. its a BIG DEAL.
If a Cadet scores 100% on his Leadership Exam its a BIG DEAL.
Otherwise is pretty much routine unless there is something special about the cadet in particular.

What percent of your squadron is able to earn promotions every two to three months?  10%, 50%, none? 

NONE that I am aware of.

What is the average time between promotion for most cadets at your squadron.   I appreciate it.   

Its not uncommon for our cadets to go several months between ranks.
Sr. Airman slows most of them down around 4-6 months.

2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona

BlackKnight

When and how are cadets promoted in your squadron?
The effective date for achievements in our squadron is the date on which the cadet completes all requirements, subject to the CAPF 52 form being signed off. Milestone awards become effective when they are posted by NHQ. We do formal promotion ceremonies once a month on our regular leadership lab night when the UOD is blues.  Milestone awards such as the Mitchell or Earhart are special- we usually devote a special evening just for them and the VIP who confers the award.

Does your squadron provide the metal rank at the time of promotion or do the cadets purchase them?  One or two pieces, or three (including blues?)?
We provide one set of metal grade insignia on a complementary basis. Cadets are supposed to buy additional sets as needed, but they are able to trade old grade insignia for new, so the total long term cost for Phase I/II cadets is quite small.  Cadet officers are introduced to the "come and pay" aspects of CAP. They don't get any freebies, just like in the real military.  ;)

Does your squadron provide ribbons with each promotion or do the cadets buy them?
Ribbons are inexpensive and it seems cheap not to provide them on a complimentary basis. We provide free ribbons with all awards (even those that don't involve a promotion), along with a letter of congratulation on squadron letterhead signed by the unit DCC or CC.

What about ribbon holders?  How about shoulder boards for cadet officers?
Ribbon holders are recycled. As cadets get up to officer rank however they often start buying their own because they want everything to be "oh-so-perfect".

Officer shoulder boards are a bit expensive.  With all the work the squadron puts into a Mitchell ceremony, we expect the cadet officers to buy their own. (Of course arrangements are made if a cadet simply doesn't have the money...)

How big of a thing is promotion in your squadron?  Is something different done for the seniors when they get promoted?
We try to make promotions a big deal.  For routine promotions it's the first order of business as soon as soon as meeting opening ceremonies are completed. That way we have the full attention of everyone (both seniors and cadets).  Lots of pomp and ceremony, saluting, reporting, etc. Arrangements are made with our PAO and a suitable photographic background (flags, posters, etc) is set up for "grip & grin" photos. Parents are invited to pin the new grade insignia on the cadet.

My unit CC is a bit less formal with senior promotions. He awards them as soon as they come through. No special preparation. The senior member often doesn't know about it in advance, which makes it somewhat awkward if the promotee shows up out of uniform.

What percent of your squadron is able to earn promotions every two to three months?  10%, 50%, none?  What is the average time between promotion for most cadets at your squadron.
100% of our cadets are able to earn achievements every 60 days. Several cadets who are in AFJROTC are able to promote on the 30-day schedule.  Do they always promote at the earliest opportunity? Of course not. I would say that we're averaging 4 promotions per year per active cadet. Some are doing 6-7 per year, others manage only 2-3 achievements per year.  I see a strong correlation between regular meeting attendance and promotion frequency.  We offer regular academic testing twice a month, on AE nights and Leadership Lab nights (2nd and 4th Tuesdays).
Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/