Duties of the Deputy Commander

Started by IceNine, March 29, 2008, 04:05:43 PM

IceNine

In the CV vs CD discussion I noticed this little gem, and now I need to get this squared away.  I am working on our tentative SUI scheduled for Nov timeframe.

Quote from: CAPR 20-1
NOTE: The duties above also apply to the deputy group commander. Group commanders should develop a detailed position description for their deputy, outlining his/her specific duties and responsibilities in support of the overall group mission.

When I was appointed Group Deputy my commander said that I will be in charge of the group staff, and will provide assistance to the Squadron Commanders in their endeavors.

So does anyone have an example of the position description?
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

DeputyDog

Quote from: IceNine on March 29, 2008, 04:05:43 PM
In the CV vs CD discussion I noticed this little gem, and now I need to get this squared away.  I am working on our tentative SUI scheduled for Nov timeframe.

Quote from: CAPR 20-1
NOTE: The duties above also apply to the deputy group commander. Group commanders should develop a detailed position description for their deputy, outlining his/her specific duties and responsibilities in support of the overall group mission.

When I was appointed Group Deputy my commander said that I will be in charge of the group staff, and will provide assistance to the Squadron Commanders in their endeavors.

So does anyone have an example of the position description?

I was a group deputy commander for three years. I didn't have a written position description, and my duties were similiar to yours. Basically, I was to relieve the group commander of the staff work of the group and help train the staff officers of the squadrons.

At one point the group commander and I had discussed developing a position description for the me, but he felt it wasn't necessary.

Here is my take:

Provide group staff support of all units in their group.

Promote the objectives and purposes of CAP by assisting in the achievement of established goals and programs by all units, by recommending new goals and programs and recommending revisions as necessary within the group in support of the Corporation's objectives.

Supervise and promote plans, policies, and procedures necessary to the proper conduct of group affairs that are not in conflict with national, region, and wing policies and directives.

Be aware of accomplishments, problems, and degree of compliance by subordinate units  through a system of inspections, reports, and staff visits.

Inform the group commander of progress toward achievement of objectives, notable accomplishments, problem areas, and other matters of interest within the group.

Ensure safety of personnel and equipment through monitoring policy guidance regarding safety procedures and equipment.

Recommend high caliber personnel for apppointment as group staff members and recommend the removal from group staff positions those members deemed unqualified or otherwise unsuitable to continue in their positions.

Assist in the selection process of high caliber personnel for the command of subordinate units and assist in and recommend the removal of those unit commanders whenever they are considered unqualified or otherwise unsuitable.

Refer problems that cannot be resolved at subordinate unit level to the appropriate group staff officer or to the group commander.

Of course, depending on the characteristics and the nature of the group, it can be tweaked and narrowed down more specifically. My group is geographically large with a small CAP membership (about 200 members). A duty task that I would have added for myself would have been the ability to travel to the subordinate units (they are about a two hour drive apart each).