Any ideas on where to get surplus Blue Jackets?

Started by RickFranz, March 24, 2008, 11:58:57 AM

RickFranz

I have been trying to find a source for the "Class A" Blue Jacket.  I know we can buy them at AAFES but I am trying to save some folks some money.  I have tried DRMO but they say they hardly get any AF uniforms through there. 

I think it is kinda funny that we are about to move out of the "new" 3 button jacket, back to a 4 button; however we still can not get enough of the outdated ones to outfit our Cadets.

Any ideas???
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

Maj Ballard

For the enlisted type, eBay.

Also, check with any local AFJROTC units.
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

mikeylikey

^ Check with your local AFROTC unit as well.  In a few months they will be required to send all used (and slightly worn) jackets and uniforms (including Flight suits) to DRMO, so they can get brand new ones in for after summer.  I am sure they would rather donate to CAP than make a trip to DRMO.
What's up monkeys?

jimmydeanno

If you are near an AF base, many have a "thrift store" where you can pick up cheap uniform items that were 'donated.'  Kind of like goodwill.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

surplus, ebay, thrift stores.

3-button officer jackets are fairly rare in the secondary market, however there are lots of NCO jackets about.
The problem with the NCO jackets is that a lot of the times the stripes leaves marks that can't be removed (or holes).

I have seen a number of people take material from a new-style unservicable NCO jacket to a tailor with
a serviceable NCO jacket and have the epaulets made and added - the good ones will open the sleeve seams
and do it right.

"That Others May Zoom"

mikeylikey

Quote from: jimmydeanno on March 24, 2008, 02:06:42 PM
If you are near an AF base, many have a "thrift store" where you can pick up cheap uniform items that were 'donated.'  Kind of like goodwill.

Yeah I tried that at Wright PATT about 6 months ago when traveling, and instead of bringing back tons of uniforms for the Cadets, I wound up getting X-MAS presents for the family.  Weird, what kinds of stuff they sell in those places.  I just picked up the whole Indiana Jones trilogy for 5 bucks and an awesome Hawaiian shirt for 50 cents (got to get ready for summer time you know).

I see more uniforms toward the end of the month in the base thrift shops.  The one at McGuire is open on certain days and not every week like most.  PLUS when you make a purchase in those places it helps out the family support groups or Enlisted Wives Clubs.

I also reccomend looking contact info up for your nearest shop, and calling them.  Most will accommodate you and hold certain items if they come in.  

NOW with that said, if you live near an AD military post/base/station, check out all the local pawn shops.  When soldiers/airman/marines/ are hard up for cash, they sometimes pawn their uniforms.  When ever I had a soldier "misplace" a uniform I would run off post, hit up the pawn shops and pick him up his needed item.  (once I actually found the same item the guy claimed he "lost" but actually pawned that morning, so being the Awesome Officer, I charged him double to buy it back from me, with the proceeds going to the flower fund).

Check out local tailor and dry cleaning places.  Sometimes they will have racks and racks of military uniforms ready to just be purchased cause the owner never came back to pick his or her item up.

JIMMY...thanks, for bringing up the Thrift Shops, I forgot all about that!
What's up monkeys?

MIKE

http://olcnet.com/index.htm#af1  used to advertise in CAP News.  Never ordered from them myself.
Mike Johnston

IceNine

Quote from: MIKE on March 24, 2008, 04:04:26 PM
http://olcnet.com/index.htm#af1  used to advertise in CAP News.  Never ordered from them myself.

Good people but you have to call them if you want any sort of real time answers.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Gunner C

In my old squadron, we had a good relationship with the base Chiefs' Association.  They'd query their airmen who were separating from the AF if they'd be willing to donate their uniforms.  We got so many that we donated a huge amount of them to wing.  We did a lot of good with that (not to mention garnering a lot of good will with the other groups & squadrons).

GC

Kal

RickFranz

Hey Folks, thanks for all the ideas!  I am working with a AFJROTC unit to try and get some and I will get over to the Univ. and talk to the AFROTC people.  I liked the idea about checking with the base, I see if some of our folks over there can swing that.

Thanks Again.
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1