Acquiring Uniform Components

Started by abysmal, February 16, 2005, 09:30:51 PM

abysmal

Quote from: Pylon on February 19, 2005, 08:08:50 PM
I agree that some items from The Hock may not be of the highest quality, but this is usually limited to cloth items (such as patches, nametapes, grade insignia, BDUs, etc).  The Hock is an excellent source, still, for all your needs of pins, cutouts, cadet grade, shoulder cords, blues, mini-medals, and plenty of other stuff.

Tom, the guy who runs the Hock, is a really nice guy and has been in the business of supplying CAP members for a long time.  If you call him up (phone # is the on their website), he'll go out of his way to make sure you get exactly what you need.

He has a flat shipping rate of $4, regardless of whether you buy $3,000 worth of supplies or one nameplate.  However, he is flexible on this, too.  If you are only ordering one little thing, like a few ribbons or some extra clutchbacks, call Tom and he'll lower the shipping rate accordingly.

CAPMart charges absolutely mind-blowingly high shipping rates, but their cloth item quality is better than The Hock.  You can get around the high shipping rates by getting your order togehter on paper and calling it in to CAPMart by phone.  When you get the rep. on the phone, you can haggle shipping prices.  They usually have to ask their manager, so if they tell you they can't reduce the shipping, ask them to talk to their manager.

Reminder:  Just a reminder, especially for those looking to help supply their cadets, all of your uniform purchases are tax-deductible because of CAP's status.  So if you donate $100 of your personal funds to buy some uniform stuff, that hundred bucks (with your order receipt, of course) is tax-deductible.  So are your dues, and other CAP-induced expenses.  See your tax advisor, if you have one.   8)

Thanks!
2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona

Slim

As someone mentioned earlier, 1800nametape.com is a great source for CAP nametapes and service tapes.  I've used them as my source for years, for CAP, USCGAux and other needs, and have been more than satisfied with their quality and service.  Turn around time is usually about a week from the time I order until they show up in the mail.

The only thing I've noticed is that their nameplates (for blues) are sized differently than those from CAPMart, so you might want to go with those.  Another option (if you have an engraver in town) is to buy them blank, and have the name engraved locally.

1800nametape also has a package deal for CAP members, 3 each nametapes/branch tapes and 2 nameplates (available in both blue and gray) for $15.00.  A very reasonable price to me.

Slim

abysmal

Quote from: Slim on February 26, 2005, 09:55:28 AM
As someone mentioned earlier, 1800nametape.com is a great source for CAP nametapes and service tapes.  I've used them as my source for years, for CAP, USCGAux and other needs, and have been more than satisfied with their quality and service.  Turn around time is usually about a week from the time I order until they show up in the mail.

The only thing I've noticed is that their nameplates (for blues) are sized differently than those from CAPMart, so you might want to go with those.  Another option (if you have an engraver in town) is to buy them blank, and have the name engraved locally.

1800nametape also has a package deal for CAP members, 3 each nametapes/branch tapes and 2 nameplates (available in both blue and gray) for $15.00.  A very reasonable price to me.

Nothing but GOOD suggestions all the way around!

Yoda

I thought that CAPMart had some kind of hissy fit a while back over other businesses selling CAP things.  Or is this different because they don't specifically advertise themselves as selling Civil Air Patrol nametapes but just put on the tape whatever you say to?

abysmal

I thought that CAPMart had some kind of hissy fit a while back over other businesses selling CAP things.  Or is this different because they don't specifically advertise themselves as selling Civil Air Patrol nametapes but just put on the tape whatever you say to?

Would seem hard to see how they could have a "Hissy-Fit" when its a free market out there and anyone can sell. They could of course always try to do a BETTER job and win more customers back!

Yoda

Quote from: abysmal on February 26, 2005, 05:32:00 PM

Would seem hard to see how they could have a "Hissy-Fit" when its a free market out there and anyone can sell. They could of course always try to do a BETTER job and win more customers back!
IIRC, they were upset that others were using a copyrighted logo and seal when selling their products, and took legal action to ensure that those businesses could not do so anymore.  I vaguely paid attention when it came up in discussion, but it was more of an "Oh, that's interesting" type of thing for me than anything I really looked into.

Major_Chuck

My understanding is that CAPMart is operating at a loss, which by the comments would explain why.  CAPMart doesnot own the copyrights for the CAP Logo and Seals where as Civil Air Patrol does.  If CAP wanted to stop someone from selling items with CAP logos then they could take legal steps to do so. 

However, as it has been stated, it is a free market system and many vendors will sell their wares through many different sources.  If a CAP member can find a uniform item cheaper  through a outside commercial source then more power to them.

The danger is always cheaper quality imitations and being able to present a professional appearance.

Where Civil Air Patrol could make some money off of us 67,000 people is by licensing the logo to be used on items and then collecting some sort of royalty of the sale of the goods.

-CC

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

Slim

Quote from: Major_Chuck on February 27, 2005, 02:39:03 AM
Where Civil Air Patrol could make some money off of us 67,000 people is by licensing the logo to be used on items and then collecting some sort of royalty of the sale of the goods.

-CC

Amen to that!

I first started using 1800nametape some time back in the mid '80s, when they were strictly mail-order through clothing sales.  I picked up an order slip, called them and told them what I needed, asked if they could do it (they hadn't done them for CAP before, and had just gotten a contract through AAFES).  Next time I went to clothing sales, there were new order forms, with a CAP option on them. 

I did pretty much the same thing with the CG Aux when I found that what their vendor sent wasn't quite what I expected.  Checked with Spur Cleaners (now known as 1800nametape.com), and sure enough, they sell Coast Guard stuff.  Emailed them with the info for branch tapes, dimensions and such for namte plates, and there they were.

I think the problem with the copyrights came from the fact that some of the vendors for leather nametags (for flight suits) were making them embroidered.  I've uses Williams & Williams for years also, they were one of the vendors for the AF when they had the ASNP on BDUs craze.  Their product is of a higher quality than those sold by CAPMart (or the bookstore).  Thats also why I bought  a Dymo label maker and covered "CAPT" with "MAJ" when I got promoted.

Anywho, when people started turning up with unauthorized embroidered nametags on their zoom bags, someone realized there was a problem.  Since the wings are a logo and copyrighted, that's where the problem came up.  I'm sure that this never would have happened if people would have stuck to the regulation and kept their leather tags.

Sorry, back on topic.

Slim

Major_Chuck

Thats also why I bought  a Dymo label maker and covered "CAPT" with "MAJ" when I got promoted.

:)  Did the same thing.

-CC
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

abysmal

Quote from: Pylon on February 19, 2005, 08:08:50 PM

Tom, the guy who runs the Hock, is a really nice guy and has been in the business of supplying CAP members for a long time.  If you call him up (phone # is the on their website), he'll go out of his way to make sure you get exactly what you need.

Have to agree with you on Tom.
Another package arrived on time and just as ordered.
Very happy with him.

Pylon

Christopher,

How is it coming along with repairing your uniform situation?  Have you found success with a particular method?

I see you're ordering some things from Tom at The Hock and all.  Hopefully you're getting everything you needed!  ;)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

MIKE

[brag] I just got back from the thrift store at Hanscom AFB today, I picked up a nice Overcoat for $15 with the liner... They had loads of Overcoats and some All-Weather Coats... And I found Mess Dress that might have fit me for $55 that I didn't buy.

Another senior I went with was looking for officers Service Dress, but we couldn't find one that fit. [/brag]
Mike Johnston

abysmal

Quote from: Pylon on March 10, 2005, 08:05:18 PM
Christopher,

How is it coming along with repairing your uniform situation?  Have you found success with a particular method?

I see you're ordering some things from Tom at The Hock and all.  Hopefully you're getting everything you needed!  ;)

Its still pretty grim at the moment.
A whole lot of cadets that do not have complete uniforms.
The Squadron Commander seems to have his sights on a stash of uniforms that we are hoping are going to materialize at an upcoming SarEx in 2 weeks. If they come through, life will be good. If not, its time to hit the fundraising bandwagon and start soliciting funds.

I am thinking of going after some corporate sponsorships from some folks I know in town.

cmoore

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm still new to CAP...but I thought Cadets got free uniforms, and only the Senior Members had to buy them.  Is that not true?
1st Lt Chris Moore
Sacramento Composite Squadron 14

Pylon

Quote from: cmoore on March 30, 2005, 12:04:24 AM
Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm still new to CAP...but I thought Cadets got free uniforms, and only the Senior Members had to buy them.  Is that not true?

The Free Cadet Uniform (FCU) program is not really a complete deal.  The cadet gets shirt, pants or skirt, belt, buckle, and hat.  They still need shoes and all their insignia and accessories.  In addition, they have to completely supply their BDU uniform at their own expense.  (Yes, regulatory-wise, cadets are not required to possess the BDUs but I'd like to see a cadet try and get through the program only in blues).

So, no, it's a myth.  CAP members really pay for their own uniforms, regardless of being a cadet or senior.  New cadets just get a good head-start.

Welcome to CAP and CAPTalk by the way!  Glad to have you here!  :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Major_Chuck

Of course the next question is "no shoes?"

Last year to save money and keep the free uniform program in place shoes were cut from the list of uniform items, otherwise they probably would have scrapped the program.

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

abysmal

Quote from: cmoore on March 30, 2005, 12:04:24 AM

S/M Moore, WELCOME.!!
I too am a relative "Newbie" and am doing my absolute best to SUCK every tidbit of information out of all the fine CAPers that hang out on this www site. I am sure you will find it just as usefull as I have..

abysmal

The squadron commander read an interesting note last night from the wing commander.
In short it said that we should expect to see a suddensurge in the availability of Used BDUs coming out of the Army & Marine Corps due to an accelerated roll out of the new digital Camoflauge pattern. Looks like sometime later this year we will have some BDUs to pass out to the Cadets after all.

abysmal

Update: Army/Marine Corps BDUs: Expect DRMO to receive a large surplus of woodland camouflage BDUs as the Army and Marine Corps transition to their new-style BDUs. Phase-out dates for the woodland style are Jan. 1, 2008, for the Army and Oct. 1, 2006, for the Marines.
Ref: EXs OPEN COCKPIT #15 Apr 2005 EXs OPEN COCKPIT

From CAP Logistics Plans and Analysis: BDUs, clothing, and other textiles are available to screen and withdraw from the Defense Reutilization Marketing Offices. Authorized members within CAP wings may screen in person or online at DRMS (Defense Reutilization and Marketing Service). Uniform/clothing items do not require justification or approval from NHQ/LGS, but remember to get only what you need. All other items require justification and approval from NHQ/LGS prior to withdrawal. Contact your State Director or NHQ/LGS with any questions on withdrawal procedures. K C Jones .
Open Cockpit, February 2004.

MIKE

A word of caution on accepting USMC and some USN Combat Utility Uniforms from DRMO.  The USMC blouses have Eagle Globe and Anchor insignia stenciled on the left pocket which is permenent... Wearing a CAP BDU with an EGA and USMC on the left pocket won't endear you to many Marines out there and in general just looks bad/sad.

Some USN utilities might have similar SEA BEES stencils on the left pocket also.
Mike Johnston