Ebay Historical Item?

Started by IceNine, February 09, 2008, 02:07:48 AM

IceNine

Just saw this little gem on ebay for 99.99 HA!

Anyone know what it is?  Colors are similar to the Com Comm... but the pattern is wrong

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

James Shaw

Somebody is trying to fool someone. They took the CAP enlisted device and made it into a medal with some old high school award. NOT CAP!!
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

JohnKachenmeister

Yup.  CAP Historian beat me to the punch, but this is a fake.
Another former CAP officer

♠SARKID♠

Someone should tell him.  That way nobody will be tricked into purchasing it.

SarDragon

I looked at the site about an hour ago, and didn't see it in my CAP search. OP got a link?

Regarding the pattern not matching Com Comm, most of the CAP mini-medals don't match the ribbons they are associated with.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: SarDragon on February 09, 2008, 03:35:16 AM
I looked at the site about an hour ago, and didn't see it in my CAP search. OP got a link?

Regarding the pattern not matching Com Comm, most of the CAP mini-medals don't match the ribbons they are associated with.

Here ya go

SarDragon

So, has anyone contacted the seller to let him know that it's a fake?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Major Carrales

Could it be that this was some "local" award made up for some occasion in CAP's arcane past?

I heard of units creating Certificates, the Hock Shop selling trophies and plaques and "honory" local accolades/novelties.  Maybe this is that sort of thing.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

alamrcn

I know who the seller is, and he is a current and active Civil Air Patrol member. He's also well aware that this is not an officially issued CAP insignia, and that it was most likely made by hand for some local purpose.

Like Sparky kinda eluded to, my thoughts are that it was a "civilian award" - an actual medal given to a member of the community for their support to Civil Air Patrol. Something like a Mayorial Award would be. Maybe national should come up with something like that.

There are TONS of what I call "novelties" like this - serious purpose or even gag awards created for presentations and not for uniform wear. Think of it like the CAP award certificates made on MS Word that aren't recognized by anyone but those who gave and received it.

A long time ago, my unit gave a GT badge made with pilot wings to a member that succeeded in taking a crop van on a "Dukes of Hazard" style ride!

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

alamrcn

Hey, this reminded me of some items that regularly appear on eBay as Civil Air Patrol...

Marksmanship or Shooter Proficiancy badges:
These cloth badges were incorrectly published in a militaria reference book as WWII Civil Air Patrol insignia, and later again in another book that used the first book as a reference. The National Historian and National Headquarters Archives Currator both agree they are NOT Civil Air Patrol. They could be ROTC, JROTC, or even US Army.

If you feel like doing collectors a favor and pointing this out to the sellers, that would be a great service!

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: alamrcn on February 09, 2008, 06:50:24 PM
I know who the seller is, and he is a current and active Civil Air Patrol member. He's also well aware that this is not an officially issued CAP insignia, and that it was most likely made by hand for some local purpose.

Like Sparky kinda eluded to, my thoughts are that it was a "civilian award" - an actual medal given to a member of the community for their support to Civil Air Patrol. Something like a Mayorial Award would be. Maybe national should come up with something like that.

There are TONS of what I call "novelties" like this - serious purpose or even gag awards created for presentations and not for uniform wear. Think of it like the CAP award certificates made on MS Word that aren't recognized by anyone but those who gave and received it.

A long time ago, my unit gave a GT badge made with pilot wings to a member that succeeded in taking a crop van on a "Dukes of Hazard" style ride!

-Ace

That's funny!

I remember once a cop who jumped out of his cruiser so fast that he forgot to put it in "Park."  The cruiser rolled into a building.

The next day at roll call the shift gave him a boat anchor.
Another former CAP officer

alamrcn

Quote from: alamrcn on February 09, 2008, 06:50:24 PM

Oops, I meant "corp" - as in a corporate white van, but I think you figured that out. This was awhile ago, but I remember it as this...

We were haulin' donkey down a rural gravel road in a dense wooded area, plane flying overhead leading us to a simulated crash site. There were numerous small, water-filled potholes everywhere so it was like being on Paul Bunyon's Log Ride with the water splashing down the sides of the windows. She put the pedal to the metal while climbing a lengthly, graduating hill until we reached the peak of the climb.

On the otherside of the apex was a VERY sizable "pothole" or rather waterfilled PIT. I swear I could hear the horn play Dixie as there was a moment of weightless clarity and my unamusing life flashed before my eyes. Evenutally the front wheels did come down - and maybe the rear too - into this gaping chasm with a HUGE THUD! All the GTMs reached the extent of their seatbelts, the rear-view mirror flew off the windshield and cracked my noggin (I was in the navigator seat), and a cascade of mud came over the bow like the wave in The Poseidon.

We didn't stop! We kept going, following the plane! But on the way back from the search we were able to stop by the launch site and marvel at the road geology that contributed to our crazy Dukes of Hazard moment. It took a couple years of talking about the mocked-up GT wing badge before we finally got one together and presented it to the very embarrassed and humbled driver.

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Al Sayre

ROFLMAO  :D  Had a similar experience in one of the old Dodge power wagon ambulances back in the '70's...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787