COMMENDATION AWARD

Started by jason.pennington, February 07, 2008, 04:31:28 PM

jason.pennington

Not sure if someone has already started this somewhere else, but...

It's good to see that someone has suggested an Achivement Award that can be approved by Group CC!  As it is, I have created many different awards that were not more than certificates, but they meant something to my members.

Now we can have a recognized award that does not have to go through the whole red tape process of a Wing Approval - depending on NB approval and guidelines in March.

Of course, like achievement medals in the Navy (and I am sure in the other services, because afterall, you get a ribbon for just being in the Air Force!), do not be surprised if A LOT of people end up getting this award.  Many of our members do outstanding and exceptional work to warrant some bling.  However, this work does not always equate to a Commander's Comm.

Pylon

+1 for the Achievement Medal.  It would bring some of our awards more in line with USAF awards (at least one step closer).

As for the design, I wonder if a color-change and if needed, a slight alteration of the pattern, to the comparable Air Force Achievement Medal would be acceptable?  See attached image for concept idea.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

You could use it as a screwdriver in a pinch!

Or sharpen the edges for those times at a banquent when a speaker goes on too long.   ;D

"That Others May Zoom"

jason.pennington

Looks good to me!  The NB agenda said there was an idea attached to the agenda, but I could not find it.  I wonder if the gif here is the same idea.

DNall

The concept has been talked about for over a year now I guess. I didn't know it was going to be Gp lvl appvl, but that's fine. I'm good with that design as well. I do favor keeping designs in line with their AF counterpart (and rouch award criteria as well). Got my vote, not that I get one.  ;D

notaNCO forever

jimmydeanno

On the Group Approval.

These concepts work great for people who have group structures, but many wings don't.  Otherwise, for the rest of us it's just business as usual - send the request for the Wing King to sign - and with that, why not just submit a CC - same sign off.

However, since the NB doesn't actually think like that...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

arajca

The Achievement Award should have easier standards than the CC.

DNall

The proposal actually says wgs w/o Gps the approval authority would be designated to PDO for adults & DCP for cadets, and of course lower standards for award. Cdr's Com would still be thru a board rec'ing appvl to Wg/CC.

PhoenixRisen

Awesome idea, but just a bit of an issue with the design.

If we're going to make one of our medals "mirror" it's AF counterpart, I would suggest re-doing ALL of our decorations and trying to make them as close to their AF counterpart as possible (if one applies to it).  But... considering how that's not really going to happen for cost sake...

Why just make THIS ONE look like an AF decoration?

jason.pennington

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on February 08, 2008, 08:40:48 AM

If we're going to make one of our medals "mirror" it's AF counterpart, I would suggest re-doing ALL of our decorations and trying to make them as close to their AF counterpart as possible (if one applies to it).  But... considering how that's not really going to happen for cost sake...

I don't really think the design is as important as what the award could mean to our members.  Do we really have to worry about if this medal mirrors an AF one?

JayT

That's a really bad idea.

I've noticed that a lot of the guys on this website love to say 'Well, we should change all the patches to match Air Force standards.'
But you don't consider the fact we'd have to change fifty thousand plus patchs, ribbons, etc etc.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Pylon

Quote from: JThemann on February 08, 2008, 01:51:05 PM
I've noticed that a lot of the guys on this website love to say 'Well, we should change all the patches to match Air Force standards.'
But you don't consider the fact we'd have to change fifty thousand plus patchs, ribbons, etc etc.

Right.  You don't change all the unit patches at once to meet a standard, but you do re-do them properly when you have the chance and have all new ones meet the standard.

Quote from: jason.pennington on February 08, 2008, 11:16:23 AM
I don't really think the design is as important as what the award could mean to our members.  Do we really have to worry about if this medal mirrors an AF one?

I agree that the design is not the most important part; I just got a bit excited and whipped something up in Photoshop.  It looks like the proposal for the award itself is on the right track, though.

Flying Pig

So what is the status on this?  I think its a great idea.  Pretty sharp looking medal also.

DNall

Quote from: jason.pennington on February 08, 2008, 11:16:23 AM
Well the AF has one at that level for a good reason, we're picking up on that. Far as looks, this would be the time to make it look right versus not.

Bigger picture... ribbons cost 60 cents, it's not a freakin cost issue to change a few. There is a concept out there to bring our matrix of awards in line with AF decs. That includes using designs that, while dif, are recognizable as associated with the same level AF dec by AF personnel. That also included AF awards. The majority of AF decs are awardable to civilians & are in many cases. However, the approval authority is out of whack as that's an honorary thing. There's an effort to get AF to add two sentences to an AF reg to bring that appvl authority for award to CAP on AFAM down to CAP-USAF/RegLO/state dir levels on par w/ AF levels. That'd bring us more in line w/ how CG-CGAux as well.

Pylon

Quote from: Flying Pig on February 08, 2008, 03:56:31 PM
Pretty sharp looking medal also.

*Note!*
That medal isn't a part of the actual NB proposal.  I saw the NB proposal, we wondered what a potential design for the ribbon/medal might look like, and I quickly drafted something up in Photoshop.  Not an official concept.  Just "Pylon's" idea of what a good suggestion might look like.

But thanks for the positive comment   :D

Flying Pig

I think having an award at the Group level is outstanding.  In the Marines we had the Navy-Marine Corps Achievement Medal that was awarded at the discretion of the Battalion Commander.  In certain areas, Wing can be very removed from Group. Giving the Group Commander the discretion to award almost on the spot, within days of a recommendation can be very positive. 

We had talked about an Aerial Achievement Medal before.  This is one where placing a device, such as a silver propeller on the medal, would signify that, vs adding an entirely different ribbon.  By simply adding a device completely changes the meaning of the award.

Example, In the Marines, the Navy Achievement Medal can be awarded for Valor by placing the Bronze "V" on the ribbon.

Ribbon with silver propellor device for achievement involving flight.  Without the prop is for all other.  Whudda ya think......Sounds like a photoshop mission in the works.

Cecil DP

I think the CAP Achievement Medal is a good idea. But several award have been approved by national and haven't been seen since. Who recalls that about 5 years ago Col Matt Sharkey of SER proposed a CAP DFC and Air medal type awards. They were approved and lost in the shuffle. Of course we got the National Commander's Commendation  instead.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

James Shaw

Quote from: Cecil DP on February 08, 2008, 05:55:54 PM
I think the CAP Achievement Medal is a good idea. But several award have been approved by national and haven't been seen since. Who recalls that about 5 years ago Col Matt Sharkey of SER proposed a CAP DFC and Air medal type awards. They were approved and lost in the shuffle. Of course we got the National Commander's Commendation  instead.

Both of the medals were proposed and designs done. They were turned down last year at the NB in Washington.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Flying Pig

I still havn't seen the photoshopped Aerial Achievement Medal complete with Prop device that I had requested! ;D