Gortex Parka/BBDU in winter

Started by davidsinn, February 02, 2008, 04:03:46 PM

davidsinn

My Unit has acquired a regulation gortex jacket. What items can I add to it to make it a little more suitable for Northern Indiana winters since it's so light. We've had cold snaps down to 0 with high winds of late and nothing in the manual is warm enough for that weather. :o
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

jimmydeanno

The gortex parka should have a black fleece liner that you can get for about $30 from the other CAP uniform supplier.

If I were operating in cold temperatures in CAP, this is what I'd probably wear -

1. Thermal shirt.
2. Layered on top of that, an turtleneck black long sleeve shirt.
3. BDU Shirt
4. Black fleece gortex parka liner
5. Gortex parka.

If needed, I might add a "shirt, sleeping, heat retentive and moisture resistant" (that's the description on the label). between 2 and 3.

For the bottom half,

1. Thermal pants
2. BDU pants
3. Gortex BDU pants.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

davidsinn

Sounds like a plan. Now for myself. I'm stuck in Corporates for at least the rest of winter because it'll take that long to lose the baggage. What do I wear on the bottom half to stay warm and still present a uniform appearance?(I know I can wear my Carharts per reg but I think that looks stupid) I've got an M-65 with liner and I have thermals but that doesn't do a whole lot for your legs with high winds. And I don't think blue M-65 pants exist.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

afgeo4

Are we talking about field use or going to meetings? I would say wear whatever you want over them if you're going to/from meetings (you can change there) and wear whatever will keep you warm and still look relatively uniform when in the field. The last thing you want to be when you go to do ES is the victim.
GEORGE LURYE

davidsinn

Quote from: afgeo4 on February 02, 2008, 07:02:47 PM
Are we talking about field use or going to meetings?
Both.
QuoteI would say wear whatever you want over them if you're going to/from meetings (you can change there) and wear whatever will keep you warm and still look relatively uniform when in the field. The last thing you want to be when you go to do ES is the victim.
Emphasis mine.

That's the problem. There isn't anything that looks uniform that does the job. Bout the only thing I can think of is to get the next size up in pants and put a liner in them to simulate M-65s. What I'm looking for is a layer I can remove with out stripping all the way down or taking my boots off.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

afgeo4

Quote from: davidsinn on February 02, 2008, 10:21:50 PM
Quote from: afgeo4 on February 02, 2008, 07:02:47 PM
Are we talking about field use or going to meetings?
Both.
QuoteI would say wear whatever you want over them if you're going to/from meetings (you can change there) and wear whatever will keep you warm and still look relatively uniform when in the field. The last thing you want to be when you go to do ES is the victim.
Emphasis mine.

That's the problem. There isn't anything that looks uniform that does the job. Bout the only thing I can think of is to get the next size up in pants and put a liner in them to simulate M-65s. What I'm looking for is a layer I can remove with out stripping all the way down or taking my boots off.
Well... there's never a uniform item for EVERY occasion. Do what the military/first responders do... adapt and overcome. Use what you have if nothing proper was provided for you. Safety is the first concern. Mission is the second. Once you're squared away on those, worry about how you look.

Someone who is an operational zero wont look any more professional if he/she is wearing a proper, neatly pressed uniform. However, someone who isn't 100% rightly dressed, but gets the job done right, will impress many.
GEORGE LURYE

davidsinn

Quote from: afgeo4 on February 03, 2008, 06:12:46 PM
Someone who is an operational zero wont look any more professional if he/she is wearing a proper, neatly pressed uniform. However, someone who isn't 100% rightly dressed, but gets the job done right, will impress many.

I understand what you're saying and I do agree with you. I'm just trying to do both. Unfortunately the items I need simply don't exist.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

afgeo4

Quote from: davidsinn on February 03, 2008, 06:17:16 PM
Quote from: afgeo4 on February 03, 2008, 06:12:46 PM

I understand what you're saying and I do agree with you. I'm just trying to do both. Unfortunately the items I need simply don't exist.
Just layer up really well underneath. Use Underarmour and cotton clothing at the same time. Then BBDU pants. It should work well. Limit your time of exposure as well. Operating in extreme cold takes special precautions.
GEORGE LURYE