Mini Medal or Madness?

Started by James Shaw, January 30, 2008, 03:02:24 PM

FLCAP390707

I have seen the new Mini Ribbons.  They are made with the fabric from the mini medal drapes.  What are the ideas as to the CAP producing these ribbons for mess dress?  It cuts down on cost (I have seen them for $3.95 per) and "bling"
Rangers Lead The Way!

Hawk200

Quote from: FLCAP390707 on February 23, 2008, 10:49:28 PM
I have seen the new Mini Ribbons.  They are made with the fabric from the mini medal drapes.  What are the ideas as to the CAP producing these ribbons for mess dress?  It cuts down on cost (I have seen them for $3.95 per) and "bling"

There are no ideas to wear ribbons on the mess dress. It isn't done. Medals are worn on mess dress, and that's all that is authorized.

Plus, ribbons on mess dress would just look wierd. Mess dress is all about the bling.

SAR-EMT1

I dont wear them because I am disturbed by the fact that they are all practically identical:
a little bronze disk with "civil air patrol" followed by a single word ex: "leadership"

I think its sad and tacky.

C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on February 24, 2008, 03:16:49 AM
I dont wear them because I am disturbed by the fact that they are all practically identical:
a little bronze disk with "civil air patrol" followed by a single word ex: "leadership"

I think its sad and tacky.

When the mess dress miniature medals were created back in 1969, it was felt that CAP awards for the most part were (and are) awarded for service; in keeping with US military tradition, service medals are circular disks. Only the highest CAP decorations (SMOV, BMOV and the three service awards) have unique medal designs. (The CAP DSM, ESA and MSA use the military's hexagonal commendation medal design.)
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

SAR-EMT1

I know this, however it doesnt change th fact that they all look alike in design/wording

and I feel its sad and tacky.

Personally I feel that we should NOT have a mini medal for every ribbon.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

SARMedTech

Quote from: ddelaney103 on January 31, 2008, 04:30:18 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on January 31, 2008, 12:58:16 AM
Quote from: cnitas on January 30, 2008, 03:21:22 PM
Well, as a MG, he would be expected to have more 'bling' than anyone else, so I would say he is trying to live up to the expecation.

If you are a CAP Capt, and you have 40 minis, you may want to cut back a little.

I disagree....if you earned them and are wearing the properly.....do so with pride and gusto!

You can't wear 40 medals properly - you start to overbalance and pull to the side, not to mention the possibility of capsizing.

Or CAP-sizing!  Couldn't resist. 

"I'm sorry for that right there, Lord. Please help those starving pygmies in Africa...."--Larry the Cable Guy
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

James Shaw

I personally feel that anything that honors the hard work, dedication, and volunteer hours of a person in CAP or anyother selfless job could be made out of clay and it would still be honorable and I would wear it proudly.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Major Carrales

Read up, folks, you don't have to wear mess dress nor the medals that are authorized for wear on said uniform.  (in fact, I don't even own a Mess Dress uniform) The Mini-medals actually reflect CAP history in that their design is somewhat parallel to the design of the "cartoon" CAP ribbons from the 1960s-1970s.  They have their place...that that is a place that no one is compelled to go!!!

Smacks of more self-loathing of CAP and its history.  I, too, would just wear them proudly or not at all (if that were my choice).
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: Major Carrales on February 24, 2008, 07:30:45 PM
Read up, folks, you don't have to wear mess dress nor the medals that are authorized for wear on said uniform.  (in fact, I don't even own a Mess Dress uniform) The Mini-medals actually reflect CAP history in that their design is somewhat parallel to the design of the "cartoon" CAP ribbons from the 1960s-1970s.  They have their place...that that is a place that no one is compelled to go!!!

Smacks of more self-loathing of CAP and its history.  I, too, would just wear them proudly or not at all (if that were my choice).

Now dont get me wrong... I dont think there is anything wrong with the Mess Dress or the idea of the medals... I just want some variety in the medals themselves.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328