AAFES online sales

Started by Wildblueflyer, January 18, 2008, 09:34:27 PM

Wildblueflyer

Is there any discussion on allowing CAP to use AAFES online catalog sales??  I tried to setup an account and was told CAP isn't authorized.  It would save time+gas=$$$$ if we could order online.  Vanguard doesn't have many items, in fact they direct you to AAFES BX's for AF style/service related items.

Thanks in advance.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Lancer

mikeylikey

I wish they would!  It would allow the membership to have options other than Vanguard.  

Here is my idea.  When CAP NHQ sets up the new membership website (my.cap.gov) get a secure link on there that links directly to the military clothing section of AAFES.COM.  The CAP membership info is sitting in a NHQ database already.  Biggest problem though is AAFES.  If they do that for us, I am sure other groups would approach them for the same thing.  That may be why it will never fly!
What's up monkeys?

afgeo4

Quote from: mikeylikey on January 18, 2008, 09:50:49 PM
I wish they would!  It would allow the membership to have options other than Vanguard. 

Here is my idea.  When CAP NHQ sets up the new membership website (my.cap.gov) get a secure link on there that links directly to the military clothing section of AAFES.COM.  The CAP membership info is sitting in a NHQ database already.  Biggest problem though is AAFES.  If they do that for us, I am sure other groups would approach them for the same thing.  That may be why it will never fly!
Mikey, as stated in the threads, AAFES has CAP membership info in paper files which are referenced each time one of us calls.

CAP members are not in the DEERS system because they are not DoD employees and the AAFES.COM site uses DEERS for authentication. Thus, we are not able to log into the site.
GEORGE LURYE

RiverAux

Just technicalities.  It could be done if someone gave the order to do it. 

mikeylikey

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 18, 2008, 10:00:08 PM
I wish they would!  It would allow the membership to have options other than Vanguard. 

Here is my idea.  When CAP NHQ sets up the new membership website (my.cap.gov) get a secure link on there that links directly to the military clothing section of AAFES.COM.  The CAP membership info is sitting in a NHQ database already.  Biggest problem though is AAFES.  If they do that for us, I am sure other groups would approach them for the same thing.  That may be why it will never fly!
Mikey, as stated in the threads, AAFES has CAP membership info in paper files which are referenced each time one of us calls.

CAP members are not in the DEERS system because they are not DoD employees and the AAFES.COM site uses DEERS for authentication. Thus, we are not able to log into the site.

Understood.  I was trying to get across that AAFES could set it up so that CAP could only log into the military clothing sales portion.  They can then use the membership databases at NHQ to verify a CAP members eligibility to log on there and order uniforms.
What's up monkeys?

afgeo4

Quote from: mikeylikey on January 19, 2008, 02:06:43 AM

Understood.  I was trying to get across that AAFES could set it up so that CAP could only log into the military clothing sales portion.  They can then use the membership databases at NHQ to verify a CAP members eligibility to log on there and order uniforms.
Yeah... I wish that could be done, but the AAFES website isn't split into military/non-military. Access is full or none.

Unfortunately, AAFES simply accesses DEERS, it does not set it up or run it. DEERS is simply cross-referenced with the member's SS#. The DEERS entry is made by personnel clerks at DoD. Entries are made for all members, dependents, contractors and civilian employees. DEERS is also what DFAS (Defense Finance and Accounting Service) uses to pay people. It is also used to issue base vehicle decals. That's why we don't have any of that.
GEORGE LURYE

tkelley004

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 19, 2008, 07:39:52 AM
Quote from: mikeylikey on January 19, 2008, 02:06:43 AM

Yeah... I wish that could be done, but the AAFES website isn't split into military/non-military. Access is full or none.

Unfortunately, AAFES simply accesses DEERS, it does not set it up or run it. DEERS is simply cross-referenced with the member's SS#. The DEERS entry is made by personnel clerks at DoD. Entries are made for all members, dependents, contractors and civilian employees. DEERS is also what DFAS (Defense Finance and Accounting Service) uses to pay people. It is also used to issue base vehicle decals. That's why we don't have any of that.

DEERS is not used for pay or decals. It major uses are issue of ID cards (all types) and verify Medical benefits, and as a side note the Air Force has stopped issuing decals in most places.

Tim Kelley, Lt Col, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Wright-Patterson AFB, OH
Active Duty SMSgt 3S091
HQ AFIT
Tim Kelley, Lt Col, CAP
Bellingham Composite Squadron
Retired USAF SMSgt

mikeylikey

DEERS is a system to register a person for military benefits.  Nothing More. 

It only happens that CAC cards are issued at RAPIDS Offices that are located with DEERS computers.  The same system that gives you your CAC card is the real system that sets you up for DFAS, etc.  You can see where the confusion comes in.   

As far as DoD decals.......I actually got mine taken back by the AF base about 4 months ago, went to the Air National Guard Base (which shares the same hangars etc. with the AFB) and just got one from them.  The Air Force and its reserve may have gotten rid of stickers, but the National Guard didn't.

It makes it easier when I travel to have a decal on the windshield, especially when I access facilities that are not AF.
What's up monkeys?

afgeo4

RAPIDS and DEERS aren't linked?
GEORGE LURYE

mikeylikey

^I don't believe they are.  RAPIDS computer spits out my CAC, DEERS computer updates my address and phone number for Tricare.  However, they are usually found in the same RAPIDS or DEERS Office.  Or in short the ID issue office.  Most are one-stop-shops!

Then again, I don't work for either and I am only going off what I have seen and witnessed when getting my CAC or updating dependants in DEERS.
What's up monkeys?

afgeo4

Quote from: mikeylikey on January 19, 2008, 09:12:47 PM
^I don't believe they are.  RAPIDS computer spits out my CAC, DEERS computer updates my address and phone number for Tricare.  However, they are usually found in the same RAPIDS or DEERS Office.  Or in short the ID issue office.  Most are one-stop-shops!

Then again, I don't work for either and I am only going off what I have seen and witnessed when getting my CAC or updating dependants in DEERS.
I always thought they were linked databases. I think the person I spoke to in DFAS did mention what my address was in DEERS... dunno... I'm not personnel nor finance or even SP.
GEORGE LURYE

mikeylikey

^ Maybe they are linked.  Everything else in the modern military seems linked to each other.
What's up monkeys?

tjaxe

I called AAFES customer service and they directed me to contact "nicholsde@aafes.com" regarding purchasing uniforms since I'm with the Civil Air Patrol.  The person at customer service also said that catalogs are no longer being printed.  (So if we can't order online and there are no more catalogs...)   ???

I sent an email to this address early Wednesday and haven't heard back (yes, I checked my spam filter).  Can anyone verify that this is indeed the current process?

Thanks and have a great weekend!

- Tracey, Captain
Public Affairs Officer, Professional Development, Logistics: NER-PA-160

mikeylikey

^ I also heard from the clerk at the mcss counter that catalogs will no longer be printed. I hope CAP NHQ puts the catalog info on the E-services site.
What's up monkeys?

MIKE

And an up to date price list.
Mike Johnston

Lancer

Quote from: tjaxe on January 25, 2008, 09:44:41 PM
Can anyone verify that this is indeed the current process?

Did you click on my link to my post that linked to my previous thread about buying from AAFES? Debbie works 3rd shift and is pretty busy, but she should get back to you.

tjaxe

^ Lancer, I did check out your other thread.  I'll just hang tight and wait a while for a reply from her.  Thanks.

- Tracey, Captain
Public Affairs Officer, Professional Development, Logistics: NER-PA-160