Main Menu

Humor in Uniform

Started by Stonewall, January 07, 2008, 06:32:33 AM

Stonewall

Has anyone every submitted anything to Reader's Digest's "Humor in Uniform"?  As a cadet, my buddy, one of the guys that recruited me, submitted a story that didn't get published, but it got me thinking.  I've seen ROTC, OCS, Academies and JROTC stories, why not CAP?  May I suggest someone think back to a story in CAP and submit it to see if you can get it printed.  Two things will happen, it'll be a funny story and I think you win $100, plus, one more way to get CAP's name out there.  Just a thought....

To celebrate 50 years of Humor in Uniform, we published five real-life anecdotes in our September issue and asked you to vote for the laugh-out-loudest one. After the 7,191 votes were tallied, the Army prevailed.

The winning story was sent in by Kathleen Hodge of Niota, Tennessee. A military brat who's now married to an Army major, Kathleen has traveled the world on the Army's dime, seeing cultures and countries she'd only dreamed of. Here's her winner:

My father was often away on lengthy tours of duty, leaving my mother to manage five kids by herself. While he was gone, we used to sneak into their room to sleep. So before shipping out one time, Dad reminded us to respect Mom's space and sleep in our own rooms. Upon his return, as Dad disembarked the plane with the rest of his unit, my brother ran up to him, jumped into his arms and loudly announced, "Dad, you're going to be so happy. While you were gone this time, nobody slept with Mom."
Serving since 1987.

mikeylikey

!!!  Freaking Hilarious!   :D
What's up monkeys?

SarDragon

That was the first thing I read every month when the 'rent's RD came in.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ThorntonOL

I'm not sure if this was in humor in uniform but it was definately in RD.
A SM won award for communicator of the year and his wife thought it ironic.
(I can't remember when this was published but it was in the past 13 years.)
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron