Ack! Starting a unit from scratch with little help!

Started by Pylon, August 23, 2005, 02:48:36 AM

Pylon

I've recently been given charge of a squadron of cadets in a nearby area which was falling into neglect and disrepair.  One day the Group Commander invites me to come down to the unit.  Next thing I know, somebody is handing me a guidon and I'm muttering "I accept the command..."   ;D

I'm actually a bit excited about the task because it gives me the chance to pretty much mold a unit from the ground up.  The unit previously had no structure, no SM support, no worthwhile activities.  One SM would show up... late... and the cadets would drill (poorly) for two and a half hours and then go home.  That was it.

So, I'm starting with the bare minimums.  Luckily, the unit has an excellent administrative officer, who has been keeping immaculate personnel records (one of my biggest worries when I inhereted the unit).  Right now, they have about 4 - 6 regularly showing cadets, all Cadet Enlisted.  There is only one C/2d Lt. in the unit, who is not a regular show.

I spoke with the unit candidly on the night I received the DCC position, and asked them what they wanted out of CAP.  ES Training was the resounding answer, with a few other minor ideas throw in for good measure.  Since, they've had Red Cross CPR Training and we're working on doing extensive ES training over the next quarter or two, first getting everyone GES qualifies and then working on specialties.

I still, however, seem to have a few issues that I don't understand with my limited experience.  The cadets still seem partially unmotivated to want to really do their best.  They often put in the bare minimum, but the whole unit shows up late regularly, they ignore various uniform and military bearing requirements, and occassionally cop an attitude. 

They've been briefed with the information that, if I can't get their unit running smoothly, we're shutting it down.  They understand the gravity of the current time period and they seem like they want change and they want worthwhile programs.  But even when I offer what they want, why does everyone still mosey in at 7:01, 7:05, 7:10, etc.

I arrived last week a bit late for myself -- only 8 minutes early.  I was alone at the FBO.  In fact, with 3 minutes until the meeting opened at 7pm, I was still alone.  With two minutes to meeting opening, it was only myself and a cadet I invited from my home unit to do some training.  The whole unit didn't show until about 10 to 15 minutes after 7.   I've talked with them about this, yet it happens regularly.

Ideas?  Tips?  Guidance?  Been there done thats?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

SarDragon

Get the parents involved. They are usually the cadets' "wheels" and may be part of the problem. Make sure they know that there is a scheduled starting time, when the cadets are supposed to be there and ready to start the meeting.

I had a problem with a couple of kids in my old unit, and finally talked to the parents, who accepted a part of the blame for the lateness. Kids were on time after that.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Major_Chuck

Ouch.  Right now you are the new face and they have probably heard everything you've said before.  "Yah, right...the last guy said the same stuff but didn't deliver...' type of thing.

You need to figure out who's who in your cadet leadership (if any) and fast.  If you drag it out you're going to set yourself up for failure.

If you have cadets in leadership positions that shouldn't be there, or cadets in general that shouldn't be there remove them.  A bad cadet leader will only poison your newer cadets and prospective cadets.

I would rather lose a lot of dead weight and work to establish a strong core element and build on that then try to reform a lot of headaches.

You're right in asking them what their goals and interests are.  It is possible that previous adult leaders were pointing them down the wrong track.  You are not meeting their needs if you don't find out what their goals are.

-CC
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

whatevah

ahh... join the club!  I'm in a similar situation, in fact, if I hadn't taken over the unit, it was going to shut down.  1-4 cadets and 2-4 seniors show up at meetings, with 16 people (8 and 8) on the roster.

I'll post more tomorrow when I get a chance.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

dwb

As an aside...

Quote from: Pylon on August 23, 2005, 02:48:36 AMI spoke with the unit candidly on the night I received the DCC position, and asked them what they wanted out of CAP.

It has been my experience that cadets don't know what they want.  Or, at least, Phase I cadets don't.  They want ES training, but I wonder if they really understand what that entails...?  My advice on this would be to setup a kickin' cadet program that covers all the core elements (leadership, aerospace, physical fitness, moral leadership, and activities).  Let the cadets digest what being a CAP cadet really means.

Then, after a few months, take the ones that really understand it and start bringing them to the Group ES training on UTA weekends.

On to what you really asked...

Quote from: Pylon on August 23, 2005, 02:48:36 AMBut even when I offer what they want, why does everyone still mosey in at 7:01, 7:05, 7:10, etc.

Because they don't get it, yet.  I suggest downloading the Capwatch database, and doing a mailing to all the members (or all the cadet members anyway, since that's what you care about).  Setup an information night for parents and cadets, and make it clear what the program is that you're offering and what the expectations are to participate.  Parents will appreciate the information, and the cadets that actually want to be CAP cadets will appreciate the guidance.  The others will leave, and to heck with 'em.

In the mean time, you should try handing out the schedule to each cadet, make them take it home.  The schedule should state clearly what time cadets are supposed to arrive, what they have to bring with them, uniform of the day, etc.

Finally, you have to make sure there is a consequence for being late.  Once 90% of people start showing up on time, the 10% need to feel the heat for lacking the ambition to be timely.  I'm not sure what form this should take, and if I were you, I'd worry about getting the 90% to show up on time before worrying about that other 10%.

(Before I catch flack, I understand that sometimes, people are just late, and it's not the cadet's fault.  I'm talking about the chronically tardy).