A Future in the Navy?

Started by skippytim, December 15, 2007, 08:01:39 PM

skippytim

I am curious as to whether or not the Naval Academy looks as highly upon Mitchell recipients as the Air Force Academy?

Currently I'm trying to decide; I'm going for a career as a military fighter pilot aviator; but I'm not sure whether the Air Force or the Navy is the right move?

afgeo4

One of my former cadets who finished the program as a C/Maj, is a graduate of the Class of 2007 from the United States Naval Academy and is now a USN Ensign. I believe he went into sub-surface warfare.

I think what you have to think about are the traditions, lifestyles, customs, and typical workdays of a member of each service.

Aviators and pilots may have similar jobs, but their lives are very different. The Navy primarily flies fighter aircraft off of ships. The Air Force primarily flies "heavy" aircraft from airbases. Not only are aircraft different, but so are lifestyles. Also... think of what will happen if you aren't qualified or picked for fighter duty (as most aren't). Will you be happy flying a C-2 or would you rather fly a KC-10 or C-17? Did you consider that you could become an AC-130 or HC-130 special ops pilot in the Air Force even if you didn't make the selection for fighters? There are a lot of factors to figure into this. I think least of them should be which academy you end up going to for 4 years (besides, most pilots come from ROTC anyway).
GEORGE LURYE

mikeylikey

Some Advice...... Try to get nominations to both.  The people who will be looking at your applications are your elected representatives, and deciding whether you are deserving enough to go.  When you get your packet together your Junior Year of HS, you will include CAP, but believe me, they will look at grades, sports, extracurriculars at the same time.  You might be awesome in CAP, but keep your other evaluated areas on track.  

There is more than one avenue toward becoming a military Officer.  At the time you apply for the academies, also apply for ROTC scholarships.  More ROTC cadets receive aviator slots each year than those given out at the Academies (contrary to popular belief).

In the end, and I say this to all of my Cadets in ROTC Land, "You are here to become Military Officers first.  You may have specific desires as to what you want to do in the Military, but never forget you will fill the needs of the service first before personal wants".  

I applaud your desire to become an aviator, but you should know chances are very slim that you actually will do that.  

Finally, you should apply to all of the Service Academies (West Point included), as you may receive an appointment to West Point, and a another kid will receive an appointment to AFA, in the end the two of you can trade before accepting the appointments.  I forget the name of the program for trading appointments, but it is out there.
What's up monkeys?

DNall

No one can make that decision for you.

I've sent 16 or 17 (I forget) cadets to service academies in my almost 14 years of CAP officership. Many to both AF & Navy, several to flight slots. Right now I got one that's a senior at Navy, just got his flight slot right before thanksgiving. Got a couple went AF as well. I'd be happy to connect you with all these folks and highly encourage you to spend some time talking with folks that have travelled the road you're considering.

You also need to spend some time considering if you really want to go to a service academy. It's a good (free) education with some minor career benefits, but it takes away a lot of things about the college experience that most people value, and it really is quite difficult academically, mentally, & physically. I would not personally choose that route if I were your age again, but that's just me. I don't want to discourage you, I just want you to get past that place before you apply rather than show up over there with doubts. Once you commit (for the right reasons) to getting there & succeeding once you are there, then you'll be fine.

I think working through the decision process on if you really want to go to a service academy is going to help you decide which one. When you get that far, you should be able to find a cadet programs officer with some experience getting people into academies. If not & you need some help then let me know.

Michael

I was under the impression from an Air Force grad that slots were given to all AFA cadets who wanted them.

I am also considering a sea-going aviation career through the Coast Guard Academy, and understand that they have a higher percentage of pilots than the Air Force. 

Can anyone offer an outlook regarding this career path?
Bill Coons, C/Capt

mikeylikey

The academy has a set number that may change each year.  Slots are divided between AFA, ROTC, direct Commissions and OTS. 

As for the Coast Guard, I am not sure.  Sorry.  One word of advice though.......apply to all the Service Academies.  It would not hurt!
What's up monkeys?

ThorntonOL

If any cadet or former cadet now SM (have a few in our unit.) enlists in any of the armed forces.
Does giving the file to the recruiter do anything for the enlistee even if he doesn't have the Mitchell? (this includes training recieved as a SM also) Does it help with any job decsions or is for show?
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

Flying Pig

Giving your file to a recruiter isn't going to matter.  If you enlist, they are only interested in your Mitchell and your ASVAB score. 

mikeylikey

Quote from: Flying Pig on June 22, 2008, 05:36:00 PM
Giving your file to a recruiter isn't going to matter.  If you enlist, they are only interested in your Mitchell and your ASVAB score. 

Unless you are enlisting in the Coast Guard.  You don't have to have your Mitchell any longer to receive E-3.  Just two years in CAP, verified by your file.  So yes, I would say you file does matter to Coast Guard. 
What's up monkeys?

afgeo4

They don't need and shouldn't have access to your CAP file (we have to protect our personnel's privacy and the organization).

A letter from the commander as to the record of service should suffice just fine.
GEORGE LURYE

mikeylikey

Quote from: afgeo4 on June 23, 2008, 02:31:30 AM
They don't need and shouldn't have access to your CAP file (we have to protect our personnel's privacy and the organization).

A letter from the commander as to the record of service should suffice just fine.

I wouldn't accept just the letter.  I would want the original CAP application that shows join date, and something to verify two years of active service.  That could be the cadets progression record.  For Seniors Enlisting, I would want their application, and the Senior Member PRO DEV chart along with the Senior Member Master Record.

Actually anything that shows two years continuous ACTIVE participation should do.  Honestly, what is in the CAP local file that a recruiter probably already does not have?  They have socials already, so that point is mute.   
What's up monkeys?

lordmonar

Member applications are required to maintained at the squadron level....National keeps them for 5 years.

Just a question....why would you not accept a letter from the commander?

It could be forged just as easily as a bogus CAPF 53 Folder.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

afgeo4

Military enlisted people (and officers for that matter) aren't in the habit of not accepting official letterhead letters of statement from officers of other agencies. The trust is built in and if they find out that something was fake, it's not going to be the recruiter's head rolling anyway.

Remember, there's an officer's grade and "USAF Auxiliary" on the letterhead. That DOES mean something to recruiters.
GEORGE LURYE

NavLT

Getting into any competitive program is like playing poker.  You have a number of cards in your hand and you are playing against the other applicants.

Your education, your outside activities, your experience, your recommendations and your presentation are all up to you.

If you have B grades and 1 outside activity and are competing against an A grade student with 1 outside activitey for 1 seat you will loose.  If you Add CAP  and a Good set of interview skills (hopefully developed by your public speaking as a cadet officer and being grilled by CAP Promotion boards) you might beat the A Grade contender.

You must consider each element of your resume and polish as many as you can.  Two pair might be enough today, it might not tomorrow.  Dont settle for anything less than 4 aces and a king if you can help it!

V/R
Lt J.