Main Menu

Cloth Insignia

Started by JCW0312, November 13, 2007, 11:22:00 PM

JCW0312

I think the BBDUs look okay, but am I the only one who thinks there are a few too many uniform choices in CAP? I would have to take out a second mortgage on my house if I wanted to collect them all...
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
Memphis Belle Memorial Squadron
SER-TN-144

JCW0312

Not to mention trying to keep up with the changes in all of the uniforms...
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

CapnSuper

Lemme go back a bit in the thread:

Quote from: O-Rex on November 14, 2007, 08:58:02 PM
Remember that if you are wearing BBDU's you can wear pin-on rank on the hat.  I sewed mine on anyway....

Really?  I can't find a reference to that, and if I show up like that without documentation... well, let's just say that I should have documentation.  Can you provide a specific reference?  I'd rather NOT have to sew on that part of a cap.

Thanks,
CapnSuper

jeders

Quote from: CapnSuper on November 16, 2007, 04:12:24 AM
Lemme go back a bit in the thread:

Quote from: O-Rex on November 14, 2007, 08:58:02 PM
Remember that if you are wearing BBDU's you can wear pin-on rank on the hat.  I sewed mine on anyway....

Really?  I can't find a reference to that, and if I show up like that without documentation... well, let's just say that I should have documentation.  Can you provide a specific reference?  I'd rather NOT have to sew on that part of a cap.

Thanks,
CapnSuper

It's at the bottom of one of the uniform change letters. I forget which one, but if you read through them you'll find it.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Eclipse

June '06 ICL.

"Secondly, senior members wearing the blue field uniform may now wear embroidered or metal grade insignia on the blue BDU cap..."

http://cap.gov/documents/2006_06_Corporate_Uniform_Changes.pdf

"That Others May Zoom"

CapnSuper

Eclipse

Also, just for grins - its been pointed out to me that the use of the word "may", instead of "will" or "shall" indicated grade on the blue BDU cap is optional.  YMMV

"That Others May Zoom"

JCW0312

Quote from: Eclipse on November 16, 2007, 06:29:57 AM
Also, just for grins - its been pointed out to me that the use of the word "may", instead of "will" or "shall" indicated grade on the blue BDU cap is optional.  YMMV

I like the way you interpret things  :)
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

JCW0312

I got the cloth EMT badge in from Vanguard today. Mike, you were correct. It is thin like it's supposed to be, not thick like the Hock Shop's version.

Thanks all for your ideas and assistance!
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
SER-TN-144

tjaxe

Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 13, 2007, 11:25:11 PM
For best results, I would highly recommend folding it.  When you fold it under, try to trim some of the excess away and iron it down, just watch those fingers!!!

If you don't fold it, the edges will fray unless you use one of those over edge stiching patterns they use on patches. (please don't :) )

As for the border, 1/8" is what you want all the way around.

Forgive my complete ignorance but I simply cannot find in what direction to sew the CAP insignia on the BDU lapels.  :(  I've attached a picture with two options -- can someone tell me which to go with? 

Also, in regards to the pasted in quote I guess I shouldn't use "over the edge stiching."  If I don't do that then how much material should be on the outside of the "sew line," (or whatever it's called)? 

Thanks so much!! 

- Tracey, Captain
Public Affairs Officer, Professional Development, Logistics: NER-PA-160

_

tjaxe

Wow!  Thanks for the quick response!!   :D

- Tracey, Captain

tjaxe

Quote from: tjaxe on January 15, 2008, 03:01:25 AM

Also, in regards to the pasted in quote I guess I shouldn't use "over the edge stiching."  If I don't do that then how much material should be on the outside of the "sew line," (or whatever it's called)? 

How should I sew the insignia on if it's prefered that the "over the edge stitch" isn't used?  Thanks!!!!!

- Tracey, Captain

mikeylikey

^ umm......an alteration shop, laundry etc.  Just Kidding, I think you use that "behind the shirt collar method".  You know, where you come up from underneath, instead of going through the blue first. 

Sorry I am not much help, but that is what I recall hearing once.  I should have paid attention in Home Economics class.
What's up monkeys?

Eclipse

Quote from: tjaxe on January 15, 2008, 07:21:05 PM

How should I sew the insignia on if it's prefered that the "over the edge stitch" isn't used?  Thanks!!!!!

I'm not sure what you're asking, just fold it over so you have 1/8" of blue edge all the way around from the white letter.

Trim the excess so it's not too bulky underneath (you may not need to), and sew using a straight stitch from the top. 

The over-edge, or "embroidery" stitch looks nice when done right but is a bear to take off, and unless you are an NCO, you'll have to change it in 6 months.

Ironing the insignia to shape helps a lot, and I use iron-on sizing to place it instead of pins - makes it much easier to sew.

"That Others May Zoom"

tjaxe

Quote from: mikeylikey on January 15, 2008, 07:25:31 PM
I should have paid attention in Home Economics class.

That's my problem!!  Home Ec definitely hit one ear and zoomed right out the other!

- Tracey, Captain

tjaxe

Quote from: Eclipse on January 15, 2008, 07:33:19 PM
Quote from: tjaxe on January 15, 2008, 07:21:05 PM

I'm not sure what you're asking, just fold it over so you have 1/8" of blue edge all the way around from the white letter.

Trim the excess so it's not too bulky underneath (you may not need to), and sew using a straight stitch from the top. 

The over-edge, or "embroidery" stitch looks nice when done right but is a bear to take off, and unless you are an NCO, you'll have to change it in 6 months.

Ironing the insignia to shape helps a lot, and I use iron-on sizing to place it instead of pins - makes it much easier to sew.

I think I got it now.  Thanks for your help!   :D

- Tracey, Captain

Hawk200

Quote from: tjaxe on January 15, 2008, 07:37:35 PM
Quote from: mikeylikey on January 15, 2008, 07:25:31 PM
I should have paid attention in Home Economics class.

That's my problem!!  Home Ec definitely hit one ear and zoomed right out the other!

I learned to sew on my own. The school I went to wouldn't let guys take Home Ec. Issues about proper gender roles and all.

Even such, I save a lot of money sewing my own uniforms over the years.

tjaxe

^ Ah yes.  Proper gender roles.  Gotta love it.  But THAT'S a whole other topic.

- Tracey, Captain

Hawk200

Quote from: tjaxe on January 15, 2008, 07:43:22 PM
^ Ah yes.  Proper gender roles.  Gotta love it.  But THAT'S a whole other topic.

No kidding.