Customs/courteousies and the State Guard

Started by Hawk200, October 14, 2007, 08:21:08 PM

Should Civil Air Patrol officers render salutes to State Guard officers?

Yes
70 (86.4%)
No
11 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 81

NAYBOR

John K:  Major, for the record, I do know the article I referenced was not specific to the SDFs.  My point for referencing the article was to show that, now that a president can call up the National Guard in a state WITHOUT the governor's consent, the SDFs may see more active service if/when this presidential call-up happens.

I will say, however, that I agree that any/all SDFs could be federalized if the US governement chose to do so.  While I don't know if this is through "draft" or not (I don't interpret it as being through draft--the act speaks of "state organized militias" in my mind, but I ain't a lawyer), if this is through draft of all "able bodied men" in the unit, that's how they'd do it.

SDFs, I feel, are basically the same type of troops that were around prior to the National Guard.  None had the same standards of training, but all fought honorably for their states and country.

An act that keeps going before Congress, the State Defense Force Improvement Act, would allow states to purchase DOD equipment, and DOD to to train SDF troops at DOD installations (at the states expense and states protection--no DOD liability), etc. so that there are standards and equipment for SDFs across the US.  I would ask people to look into this act, and write there US congress men and women to support this act.  I think it would be good to have SDFs with good equipment and similar standards across all of the states.  DOD training would be very good for the home defense of America too, IMHO.  Look into it and write your congressperson if you feel the urge.

Smokey

If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

Hawk200

OK, folks, I'm just as guilty on the thread drift as anyone, but can we get it back on track? Does anyone else want to cast a vote that hasn't yet? I'll give this thread a few more days, then I'll lock the voting down. Speak up while you can.

pixelwonk

I'd say you've got an unmistakably good answer already.  At 86% in favor of, it's not exactly close.

Hawk200

Quote from: tedda on October 27, 2007, 04:02:20 PM
I'd say you've got an unmistakably good answer already.  At 86% in favor of, it's not exactly close.

I guess 81 voters are a good cross evaluation. Seems like the general concensus is that we should render salutes to SDF officers. Pretty much satisfies my curiousity.

MIKE

Mike Johnston