Main Menu

Uniform Troubles

Started by Cadet Bonnett, June 20, 2005, 10:45:36 PM

SarDragon

I used to put a light coat of Pledge on my Corfams. Spray onto a cloth and wipe it on. Don't spray directly onto the shoe; you use too much that way.

After consulting product literature related to Orange-Glo, I would not recommend using it on "plastic" shoes, since the solvents might leach out the plasticizer and cause them to get dry and brittle. That's another reason for not spraying Pledge directly on the shoe.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ladyreferee

Well well well!  I purchased some hockey helmet silicon polish made for plastic helmets.  It actually works pretty darn well!  Here is the link http://www.hockeyreferee.com/product_detail.aspx?base_item=OWHelmetShine
Although it doesn't take all of the scratches out that my son made, it covered most of them! 
CHERYL K CARROLL, Major, CAP

SarDragon

Hopefully he will outgrow the shoes before they become too damaged to wear. Silicone products work only so long as a cover-up, then the buildup becomes noticeable, and removal entails the use of products even more harmful to the shoe material. The best way to avoid all this is buy leather shoes and take care of them!  [Isn't it tough being a parent?]
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

airforcecolors

Quote from: ladyreferee on October 13, 2005, 11:44:08 PM
Hello C/2d Lt Kristin Ruesch,

Nice to see you at CAC last Sat!  I didn't get to ask you though about Orange Glo.  Is that a furniture polish?
  Capt Cheryl Carroll

Yes it is furniture polish. I got the idea for the AF Honor Guardsman who use pledge, but I think Orango glo works much better. The only reason they work well is because coraframes arent leather. Obvioulsy it will do nothing for leather shoes.
There are three kinds of people in this world...people that get things, people that watch others get things done, and people that wonder what just happened...WHICH ONE ARE YOU?

SarDragon

[slightly off topic] It's C o r f a m with a big C because it's a trademark, though the trademark was abandoned by Du Pont when they quit making the stuff.

More info here. This is not to be confused with patent leather.
[/slightly off topic]
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

airforcecolors

Quote from: SarDragon on October 28, 2005, 07:31:27 PM
[slightly off topic] It's C o r f a m with a big C because it's a trademark, though the trademark was abandoned by Dupont when they quit making the stuff.

More info here. This is not to be confused with patent leather.
[/slightly off topic]

Thank you. I can honestly say I have never seen Corafam spelled out. Learn something new everythin
There are three kinds of people in this world...people that get things, people that watch others get things done, and people that wonder what just happened...WHICH ONE ARE YOU?

airforcecolors

ok my last post meant to say

**Learn something new everyday

shorning

Quote from: airforcecolors on October 28, 2005, 08:23:36 PM
Thank you. I can honestly say I have never seen Corafam spelled out. Learn something new everythin

Quote from: airforcecolors on October 28, 2005, 08:24:29 PM

And you still can...  it's "Corfram". ;D

SarDragon

Quote from: shorning on October 29, 2005, 12:33:52 AM

Wrongo, Stevie Boy! See my post above - C o r f a m. Big C, one r. You won't find it on the Du Pont web site, but there are many other good references with the correct spelling, including the USPTO site here and here. It gets a big C because it's a trademark, like Xerox, Velcro, and Timex. Arguably, since the trademark has expired, a little c might be OK, but I can't consult my English expert right now.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

shorning

Quote from: SarDragon on October 29, 2005, 08:11:17 AM
Quote from: shorning on October 29, 2005, 12:33:52 AM

Wrongo, Stevie Boy! See my post above - C o r f a m. Big C, one r. You won't find it on the Du Pont web site, but there are many other good references with the correct spelling, including the USPTO site here and here. It gets a big C because it's a trademark, like Xerox, Velcro, and Timex. Arguably, since the trademark has expired, a little c might be OK, but I can't consult my English expert right now.

Dang it!  That's what I typed! >:(

Although it doesn't seem like anyone on the 'net can agree.

WICAPMOM

I call them "high gloss military oxfords" ;D

spelt = Corfram ::)

when most people speak the word it sounds like = CORE-A-FRAM  8)

Some words are just plain strange!  :P

Feel the WIND blowing while you WIND up the kite's sting.  :-*

Have to love the art of language!  :-X
Julie Anne
Major, CAP ~ Commander
Milwaukee Comp Sqdn 5 (WI-061)

airforcecolors

How about a new subject... :)

footballrun21

The best thing to do, regarding dress shoes, is to buy all leather and keep them polished.  Use plain old Kiwi to get an OK shine and if you want the patent leather look, use Leather Luster.  I wouldn't recommend it on boots, though.
C/2d Lt. Stephen Pettit, CAP
New Jersey Wing