CAP First Responder Patch

Started by CAPLAW, August 26, 2007, 02:16:22 AM

RiverAux

I've seen a few generic First Responder patches in my Wing -- never any with wording specific to my state.  I had assumed that they met some sort of national CAP standard, but apparently not. 

alamrcn

Quote from: mikeylikey on August 26, 2007, 04:10:37 AM
Pictures of the patch please?  I would like to see it, as I got rid of my 39-1 from 1997 like in 1999. 

Can't really answer the question, but I've seen a few different agency patches that qualify people as EMT/1st Resp being worn on the uniform... not to say that was right or wrong.

In any case, if you ever need them, I have the last two issues of 39-1 permanently on my website, along with some other current and obsolete uniform related documents...
http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/library.html

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Stonewall

Quote from: CAPLAW on August 27, 2007, 03:39:07 AM
When I was a cadet I was wearing the unathorized FR patch DOWN here in FLA  WITH MANY OTHER cadets . 

I may have been one of those "many other cadets" you speak of.  WIWAC in FLWG, I too wore a First Responder patch until I got EMT, then I wore the EMT patch, until CAP came out with the EMT sew on badge....

Here is the patch I wore:

I have seen a few of these around too.

Serving since 1987.

JC004

Quote from: alamrcn on August 27, 2007, 02:28:08 PM
Quote from: mikeylikey on August 26, 2007, 04:10:37 AM
Pictures of the patch please?  I would like to see it, as I got rid of my 39-1 from 1997 like in 1999. 

Can't really answer the question, but I've seen a few different agency patches that qualify people as EMT/1st Resp being worn on the uniform... not to say that was right or wrong.

In any case, if you ever need them, I have the last two 39-1 on my website.
http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/library.html
If anyone has older ones in electronic form, I'd love to get a copy of them as well.

-Ace

Thanks, Ace.

smgilbert101

CAP First Aid patches on the pickle suite ala 1979.  Chemnug County Composite Squadron, NY Wing.

Dig those crazy haircuts, makes you miss the 70's.  ;D

Steve Gilbert
SWR-TX-434
Too much rack for my uniform, favorite job is "mentor" (or was that mental..hmm)
ex-alot of things and sometimes gumbly old bear.

Stonewall

I love old CAP pictures!!!! 

I see you have canvas buttpack turned into an aid bag.  I swear, I did the same exact thing to include white/blue nametags!!!

I love old school CAP!!!
Serving since 1987.

Lancer

Quote from: Stonewall on August 27, 2007, 07:29:42 PM
I love old school CAP!!!

<off topic>
I'd give my right <insert body part> to have picture(s) of me WIWAC.  That brings back memories for sure.

When I was in Alpena at encampment this year I had the chance to thumb through Slim's encampment photo album going way back...pictures of him, NIN and a few other famous MIWG folks.

It would be SO great to have past/current members scan photos from long ago. From what I've see online, you either have photos from the 40's and 50's or the 90's and current...I haven't really seen much 60's - 80's wise.
</off topic>

Stonewall

Quote from: mlcurtis69 on August 27, 2007, 07:54:34 PM
I love old school CAP!!!

<off topic>
I'd give my right <insert body part> to have picture(s) of me WIWAC.  That brings back memories for sure.

When I was in Alpena at encampment this year I had the chance to thumb through Slim's encampment photo album going way back...pictures of him, NIN and a few other famous MIWG folks.

It would be SO great to have past/current members scan photos from long ago. From what I've see online, you either have photos from the 40's and 50's or the 90's and current...I haven't really seen much 60's - 80's wise.
</off topic>

I have lots of pics of 80s and 90s, pickle suits and all.  Just not any of MIWG.
Serving since 1987.

_

Quote from: Stonewall on August 27, 2007, 02:28:20 PM
I have seen a few of these around too.

Just remember Wilderness First Responder is a different qualification than normal First Responder.

Slim

Quote from: mlcurtis69 on August 27, 2007, 07:54:34 PM
I love old school CAP!!!

<off topic>

</off topic>

I had pictures going back to 1989 in that album, one of these days I'll have to fire up the scanner (as soon as i figure out which bin it's in) and scan a bunch of them.  I just might have some more turn up as I sort through things.  Just today, I turned up a Polaroid from the 1987 MIWG encampment of me, proudly wearing a pickle suit, doing egress training on a DCANG F-4 with the CFR guys.

Now, to find the album from my basic encampment...1984  :o.  Haven't seen that one in years

Oh, by the way, when I was a first responder, I wore the same patch as what Kirt showed above.

Slim

alamrcn

Quote from: smgilbert101 on August 27, 2007, 06:09:58 PM
CAP First Aid patches on the pickle suite ala 1979.  Chemnug County Composite Squadron, NY Wing.

Must by American Red Cross - I see "CPR" and "Standard First Aid" patches. There were a lot of non-authorized by National uniform modifications and combinations in the 70s. Looks like MIWG had it's own "Ranger tab" heh.

Dig those crazy haircuts, makes you miss the 70's.  ;D

Not too far off from the new cadets that show up at their first meeting as a visitor nowadays!

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

SAR-EMT1

Official word:
the EMS badge is for EMTs only not FRs or WFRs (although you can get those recorded in your ES records)
Reson being is - the USAF only gives bling to EMTS
basics get the basic device, Intermediates get Senior and Paramedics get the Master EMT badge with star and wreath.

Persons with CPR or First Aid are no longer allowed to wear said patches on BDUs

Sorry.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Flying Pig

I loved the fatigues.  You could really square them away.  I hated t see them go.

alamrcn

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on August 28, 2007, 06:23:57 PM
Persons with CPR or First Aid are no longer allowed to wear said patches on BDUs

Well, kinda...

23 March 2005:
CAPM39-1, Table 6-4, Item 7

Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Patch (see note 1)
embroidered centered on the lower portion of the left breast pocket between left and right edges and bottom of flap and pocket of BDU and field uniform shirt and BDU or dark blue field jacket.
May be worn only by members who have satisfactorily completed a training course in CPR techniques.
Note 1: Any nationally recognized patch awarded by a certifying agency (Heart Association, American Red Cross, etc.) upon completion of a CPR training course. Patch will be removed when no longer current.

No mention of any First Aid course - Standard, Advanced, or First Responder and the like. CPR still Ok however, unless there's a Nat'l Board meeting note somewhere rescinding it.

What WAS removed from the previous book...

01 July 1997:
CAPM39-1, Table 5-3, Item 7

7 EMT/Paramedic Patch(see Note 1)(CAPR 160-1)
Embroidered Centered on the lower portion of the left breast pocket between left and right edges and bottom of flap and pocket of BDU shirt, field jacket, and jumpsuit.
May be worn only by members who have satisfactorily completed any of the DOT training courses or an approved equivalent.
Note 1: Any cloth patch displaying the blue six-sided cross referred to as the "Star of Life" awarded by a certifying/licensing agency upon satisfactory completion of a US DOT EMT/Paramedic Training Course or approved equivalent. Patch will be removed when no longer current or when certifications are withdrawn.

That's what I think you meant of patches that are no longer authorized. That's my one and only reg quote of the year... please forgive me, I'm NOT a reg junkie!

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

BlueLakes1

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on August 28, 2007, 06:23:57 PM
Official word:
the EMS badge is for EMTs only not FRs or WFRs (although you can get those recorded in your ES records)
Reson being is - the USAF only gives bling to EMTS
basics get the basic device, Intermediates get Senior and Paramedics get the Master EMT badge with star and wreath.

Sorry.

So here's one for you. In Kentucky, the proper legal title for a First Responder is "EMT-First Responder". So, since they actually have EMT in their title, do they get to wear it?

(I say no, but I want to see what the rest of you have to say.)
Col Matthew Creed, CAP
GLR/CC

Stonewall

Quote from: MCreedKY214 on August 28, 2007, 09:55:21 PM
So here's one for you. In Kentucky, the proper legal title for a First Responder is "EMT-First Responder". So, since they actually have EMT in their title, do they get to wear it?

(I say no, but I want to see what the rest of you have to say.)

What are the other ratings/titles in Kentucky?  If there is EMT-FR is there EMT-EMT and EMT-Paramedic?
Serving since 1987.

rdmcii

Just to set the record straight: The National Registry of Emergency Medical Technician now does include registry (and patches) for First Responders.

This in no way means I'm saying they can wear the patch on their uniform

Bob

SAR-EMT1

On a personal level, I'd want anyone with FR or WFR or even CPR to have a patch on their BDUs. But its not my call.

As it is FR's cannot wear the EMT patch that Vanguard sells. (even if your title is EMT-FR)

I would assume that National Registry would want a hand in FR education for the same reason they initially got started as the National Registry for EMTs. -- To try and standardize training and education.
Is it going to work? Who knows.   
Oh, btw, the National Registry sells a EMT-B patch that is subdued and looks pretty good on OD green and BDU fabric.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

pixelwonk

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on September 14, 2007, 06:14:30 PM
On a personal level, I'd want anyone with FR or WFR or even CPR to have a patch on their BDUs. But its not my call.
Speaking as someone formerly First Responder licensed,  I don't agree.  There's too wide a gap in allowed protocols.  Only if EMT-I goes away would it make some sense.

I would assume that National Registry would want a hand in FR education for the same reason they initially got started as the National Registry for EMTs. -- To try and standardize training and education.
Is it going to work? Who knows. 
like this? http://www.nremt.org/EMTServices/reg_1st_history.asp
QuoteOh, btw, the National Registry sells a EMT-B patch that is subdued and looks pretty good on OD green and BDU fabric.

Subdued patch bad-juju notwithstanding, the Winter 05 NB voted to create the three EMT level badges but that also included getting rid of the EMT patches worn on the pocket.  Can't find it in a subsequent reg or change letter though.

Flying Pig

A First Responder is nothing near being at the EMT level.  So having the EMT badge for FR's would be a little misleading as far as quals go.

What it comes down to, and I know this wont be popular,  is that not everyone needs a badge.  From a SAR stand point, it makes us look a little silly showing up with CPR-First aid and First Responder badges.  In most agencies involved in SAR those are often the basic requirements just to be able to get on the team.  The EMT-B level is where one begins break away from the pack when it comes to training.

Of course...this is cool