Main Menu

Maj Gen Wheless resigns!

Started by whatevah, June 16, 2005, 01:55:51 PM

whatevah

(he was the CAP National Commander)

CAP NATIONAL BOARD, BOARD OF GOVERNORS :

Outside of the joy of my family and personal friends, my greatest joy in
life has been my 24 years of service to my Country through Civil Air Patrol.
The past ten months since assuming Command of this great organization have
taken me all across the Nation carrying our story of better than 64 years of
commitment to the principles of freedom and liberty for all people, the
protection of our shores, the training of young people in the ways of
respect and discipline, and the teaching of the lessons of air power.

During these ten months I essentially retired from the practice of law to
devote full time to this Command, but I have clients I have served for 38
years who still rely on me for advice, and I have yet to fulfill my promise
to finish the completion of our law office's construction of a branch office
and the training of new associates. Also, I seem to be missing all the
junior baseball games and dance recitals that my grandchildren are involved
in every weekend.

These months have also given me the opportunity to work closely with Brig
Gen Tony Pineda whom I have tried to expose to all facets of commanding
Civil Air Patrol so that he could step into the Command position seamlessly
when the time came. Tony has been a loyal companion during these months and
has shown me that he has the potential of being a fine Commander.

I also believe our Headquarters staff is a fine group of professionals,
well-tuned, customer-oriented and will find great satisfaction and
fulfillment ahead. I know that the staff and Col Vogt will work well
together and only good things will come from that.

So, believing a transition would not be harmful to this great organization
at this time, I hereby tender my resignation from the office of National
Commander to become effective no later than July 1, 2005, or earlier at an
appropriate change of command ceremony at a time mutually agreed upon with
Brig Gen Pineda. I wish for Civil Air Patrol and all its members the
continuation of our fine tradition of service to Country, and the
satisfaction of knowing that volunteer time in Civil Air Patrol has been
well-spent.

Sincerely
[oricinal signed 15 June 2005]
DWIGHT H. WHELESS
Major General, CAP
National Commander
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

abysmal

Whats the normal length of term for this office?

10 Months seems mighty SHORT....??
2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona

fronzz

That was sudden. He has only been the National Commander for 10 months!
C/Amn Peter Hibma
CAP

Pylon

It may or may not have anything to do with it, but it just seems coincidental that both the National Commander and the Executive Director of CAP both resigned within the same week.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

CAPSGT

My intel sources tell me that the two resignations are unrelated; the timing is just coincidental.
MICHAEL A. CROCKETT, Lt Col, CAP
Assistant Communications Officer, Wicomico Composite Squadron

Pylon

Quote from: CAPSGT on June 16, 2005, 08:35:14 PM
My intel sources tell me that the two resignations are unrelated; the timing is just coincidental.

I would tend to agree; I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist.  Regardless, there is plenty of "chatter" within the membership, many of whom seem to think they are uniquely in-the-know.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

abysmal

In the halls of supreme power, there are no coincidences.
Everything happens for a reason.

The truth is out there.......

Major_Chuck

I feel that it is just a coincidence.  The mans been active with CAP since the 1980's;  he runs a law practice;  has family commitments just like all of us. 

I too don't believe in conspiracy theories (unless it relates to the X-Files) and don't recall reading or hearing any background chatter.

Chuck
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

abysmal

So I ask the same question as in the beginning, What is the normal term of service for this position, and is 10 months a bit on the short side??

arajca

I believe the term of office is four years. And yes, 10 months is on the short side.

abysmal

BlueLakes1

Has a National Commander ever resigned mid-term before? Also, does Gen. Pineda automatically fill out the remainder of the term, or will another vote be taken at the next National Board?

Col Matthew Creed, CAP
GLR/CC

Major_Chuck

Yes, previous National Commander's have stepped down before their term of office expired, only one in recent memory.  (I forget his name, promoted himself to Major General without AF and National Board approval then got the boot and we ended up with maroon epaulets).

BGen Pineda will serve as Acting National Commander until given the nod by the National Board.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

Yoda

General Pineda was pretty cool.  I think he'll get the nomination for CAP/CC.

The Admiral

Cross into the Blue!

Cadet Bonnett

how long was he in command of the nation. When does he offically resign.
Cadet A1C Christin Bonnett
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

El Campamento del Ala de NH aquí yo vengo.

Major_Chuck

Quote from: Cheergirl on June 22, 2005, 12:39:29 AM
how long was he in command of the nation. When does he offically resign.

10 months and he steps down officially 1 July.

-CC
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

Cadet Bonnett

does anyone know why he resigned. is he okay.   
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

MIKE

Mike Johnston

Cadet Bonnett

Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

abysmal

Brig. Gen. Pineda assumes command of CAP

Maj. Gen. Wheless resigns for family, professional reasons
June 16, 2005

Brig. Gen. Tony Pineda

NATIONAL HEADQUARTERS — Civil Air Patrol officials have announced that Brig. Gen. Tony Pineda will assume command of CAP on July 1 after CAP National Commander Maj. Gen. Dwight Wheless submitted his resignation citing personal and professional reasons for stepping down.

"During these 10 months (as national commander) I essentially retired from the practice of law to devote full time to this command, but I have clients I have served for more than 38 years who still rely on me for advice, and I have yet to fulfill my promise to finish the completion of our law office's construction of a branch office and the training of new associates," wrote General Wheless in a June 15 letter to the members of CAP's Board of Governors and National Board.

General Wheless went on to write that outside of the joy of his family and personal friends, his greatest joy in life has been his 24 years of service to America through Civil Air Patrol.  "The past 10 months since assuming command of this great organization have taken me all across the nation, carrying our story of 64 years of commitment to the principles of freedom and liberty for all people, the protection of our shores, the training of young people in the ways of respect and discipline, and the teaching of the lessons of air power."

According to General Pineda, the national commander's resignation is a saddening turn of events, but he understands the decision. "The future bode well for CAP with General Wheless at the helm — he is an inspirational leader and consummate professional. However, I fully understand his pressing need to focus on family and a host of professional commitments at this point in his life. Needless to say, in light of this decision, I stand ready to assume command of this tremendous organization and lead its membership until such time as a new national commander has been selected."

General Pineda began his CAP career as a senior member of Florida Wing's West Broward Composite Squadron when he and his son, Robert, joined in 1988. Since that time, he has completed all levels of the CAP Senior Training Program, having received the Garber, Loening, Yeager and Wilson awards. He attended both the Southeast Region Staff College and National Staff College, and is a graduate of the National Commanders Course and Air Force Air Command and Staff College.

The general's CAP awards include numerous meritorious and exceptional service awards for his service as both a squadron and group commander. He received the Distinguished Service Medal for his service as both the Florida Wing and Southeast Region commander. He has also received CAP's highest senior member academic award — the Gill Rob Wilson Award.

General Pineda holds an associate degree in police science and criminology from Miami Dade Junior College, a bachelor's degree in criminal justice from Florida International University, and he has completed numerous specialized courses in law and criminal justice. The general also holds a Federal Aviation Administration private pilot license.   

Cadet Bonnett

okay thank you very much.

:-[ this is me confused.
:( this is me sad.
:'( this is me right now.
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

Major_Chuck

Pineda is not the automatic selection for National Commander.   BG Pineda is only acting National Commander until the Board votes on it at the National Boards in August.  I am sure that there are others who feel that they are more qualified for the job.  (Greenhut, Glasgow, come to mind).

We'll just have to wait and see.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

CAPSGT

Folks, while this is a hot-button issue, it began to get out of hand and multiple posts were removed.  No conspiracy theories, trash-talking, or libel please.  While many of us have heard rumors, let's give the men who led our organization the benefit of the doubt, thank them for a job well done, and move on from there.
MICHAEL A. CROCKETT, Lt Col, CAP
Assistant Communications Officer, Wicomico Composite Squadron

whatevah

adding to the various theories, a former wing commander that I trust said that he resigned because he was butting heads with the BOG.

take it with a grain of salt, just like all the other theories. :)
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Skyray

quote:
Harry S Truman:
Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in fear.

Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

abysmal

Deleting posts has always smacked of censorship.
So long as idea and thoughts are presented in a fair and balanced manner, and are not profane, then the free discourse of ideas should be tollerated and embraced.

Seems to me that I spent several years of my life in the Army defending people's rights to speak freely, and more often than not, it was people I didn't agree with.....

Skyray

Quote from: abysmal on June 24, 2005, 05:17:36 PM
So long as idea and thoughts are presented in a fair and balanced manner, and are not profane, then the free discourse of ideas should be tollerated and embraced.

Seems to me that I spent several years of my life in the Army defending people's rights to speak freely, and more often than not, it was people I didn't agree with.....

I was quite a bit luckier than most Vietnam veterans, in that I come from Mississippi, and being a red state and a bunch of war mongers, I came back as quite a hero.  One of the perks of my return was that I got an extensive interview with the local paper.  The interviewer finally got around to the question of the day, what do you think of all the war protests?  My answer was: "Lady, what do you think I am fighting for."  I have even resolved my differences with John Kerry, because I think he was honestly reacting to what he considered to be a grievious wrong.  In the interests of introspection, I am not nearly as tolerant of Jane Fonda, and I am a real loss to say why.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Westernslope

I, too, believe in free speech BUT there is a proper time and place for everything.  I am not offended for having my post removed, instead I apologize and realize this is not the proper place for it.

abysmal

Then the question MUST be asked, if this is not the proper place for an honest discussion about the realities of CAP leadership and the inner workings of what goes on behind closed doors that the vast majority of us will NEVER be privey to, Just WHERE is the right place???

As all are well aware, those few that make it to the top leadership positions have a HUGE impact on the rest of us.

Westernslope

I often speak to cadets about their "circle of control" - in other words, are we complaining to complain or can we do something to resolve the situation.   There is little that can be done in this forum to resolve National Leadership issues.   Since the forum is comprised of both cadets and seniors, disparaging remarks of any kind really serve no productive purpose.

I think this is a great forum to share the common problems we have with  folks who have positive ideas as to how to address those issues.  I appreciate and applaud the efforts of those who reminded me of that.

Skyray

My opinion only, but the cadets you are protecting from reality are the leaders of tomorrow.  Once again, my opinion only, some of the best National Leaders have been former cadets because of their values.  I ain't gonna name any, because just sure as fire I would miss some, or worse yet name one who didn't meet my parameters although I thought he did.  But your "Circle of Control" is a lot broader than you think it is.  An honestly held and well defended opinion can have a remarkable effect on leaders, particularly leaders who are floundering, as our apparently are right now.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Skyray

FWIW, I am not a former cadet.  I only wish rural Mississippi had had a cadet program when I was growing up.

I think this is a great forum to share the common problems we have with  folks who have positive ideas as to how to address those issues.  I appreciate and applaud the efforts of those who reminded me of that.

Agreed.  As a positive solution I would like to propose that we campaign for Greenhut.  ;D
Doug Johnson - Miami

Westernslope

Quote from: Skyray on June 24, 2005, 07:49:15 PM
FWIW, I am not a former cadet.  I only wish rural Mississippi had had a cadet program when I was growing up.

Agreed.  As a positive solution I would like to propose that we campaign for Greenhut.  ;D

Actually, I was a MSWG cadet in the 60s. 

I am campaigning for Col Robinson though! ;) 

Skyray

QuoteActually, I was a MSWG cadet in the 60s. 

I am campaigning for Col Robinson though!   

I turned cadet age in 1950.  That doesn't mean that there weren't any cadet squadrons in Mississippi in 1950, there just weren't any inrural Mississippi.  Once I discovered CAP, I had a blast with MSWG.  T.J Fortune was the Wing Commander, and I used to fly to Jackson regularly to participate in SAREXs with them.  Kept it up until I was awarded an "Outstanding" in mission safety, and the Air Force refused to award it to the wing because I was from Florida.  Shoulda joined Mississippi Wing to start with; I'd probably still be in CAP.

Don't know Colonel Robinson.  Backchannel me.  The email is on my data sheet.
Doug Johnson - Miami

whatevah

free speech is one thing, but making accusations and slurs against somebody else without giving proof isn't looked kindly upon here.  I don't want CAP-Talk to get a reputation for hosting slanderous comments.

If the posts had given any proof for the claims mentioned, they would still be visible to everyone.  As it stands now, only the moderators can see the posts, we moved them to a restricted area.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Skyray

QuoteIf the posts had given any proof for the claims mentioned, they would still be visible to everyone.  As it stands now, only the moderators can see the posts, we moved them to a restricted area.

It would seem that the analysis obtained by drilling down into the National Board minutes as to who ran for what and who was nominated by whom would be self authenticating.  And my recollection is that many of the statements were framed as questions, not "claims."  My comment about Harwell not being a short term National CC was removed; Harwell served from April, 1986 until August, 1990.  Removing my clarification left standing the erroneous "claim" that he was a short term commander, and the implication that it was because he promoted himself to Major General, neither of which "claim" is true.  I was there for the Bowling/Bergman fight.  If you need proof, I would suggest the National Board Meeting minutes from Atlanta, summer of 1998.

That said, the thread was deteriorating badly and rapidly.  I suggest you leave it censored.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Major_Chuck

I agree that we should avoid the need to slander, libel, or otherwise trash someones reputations and characters.  However...public discourse about their actions in an official capacity and or their actions/inaction and how it reflects upon CAP should be an open topic.

MGen Wheless made a decision to step down after ten months of service as National Commander and another twenty plus years in service to CAP in a variety of positions.  I applaud his service to our organization and our country.

Are there politics involved in the selection of our leadership.  Oh yes!  I've seen it on the Wing, Region, and National level.  However because I am not privy to the backroom discussions I can not comment on them.

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

Skyray

What do you have to do to earn a Wheless Challenge Coin?

I would really like to have one, along with a Harwell, a Rich Anderson, a Bergman, and a Greenhut or a Robinson.
Doug Johnson - Miami