Main Menu

iron at encampment?

Started by ladyreferee, June 14, 2005, 10:48:56 PM

ladyreferee

My son is attending an encampment in two weeks and he is worried about failing inspection if his uniform gets wrinkled.  Any truth to this?  Should I have him bring an iron along?  I've never starched anything. Would this be a solution?  What have you who have been to encampments done with keeping your uniforms looking crisp?  Any suggestions much appreciated!
CHERYL K CARROLL, Major, CAP

Pace

In my experience, an iron and starch have always been provided by the encampment.  Some wings have individual cadets iron their uniform in their free time while others delegate this task to the cadet on CQ duty.  Also, starch will definitely help his uniform's appearance.
Lt Col, CAP

MIKE

I've never brought an iron to encampment and I don't use starch, but I do know cadets who do, many even bring ironing boards.

I've found that you can survive without an iron or starch if your uniforms are carefully packed in a garment bag and they get hung up ASAP... Seen many cadets who bring their uniforms on hangers and plastic wrapped fresh from the cleaners, only to be ruined between arrival and the time you finally get your stuff to your room.

MAWG encampment usually requires two sets of BDUs... I usually bring three and can make it through the week without laundry... Only wore Short Sleeved Service Uniform twice during encampment my basic year, and that was only for relatively short periods for an inspection and graduation.  Never once ironed or starched a uniform during encampment... My roomie once ironed my ascot when we were on staff though, and I know of cadets who iron their bedsheets for inspection ready crispness.
Mike Johnston

whatevah

look at the packing list, if it says to bring an iron and starch... definately do so!  :)

at my encampment, we stay on military bases, not in dorms where we'd have access to ironing boards and such.  so, everybody brings their own irons and supplies.

for many encampments, spray starch will probably come in handy, to keep the humidity from removing the creases as quickly.  make sure the uniforms fit well, though.  if they are tight, the body heat won't be able to escape from the clothes (because of the starch and tight fit) and will increase the chance of a heat-related illness (exhaustion, pass out, hit face on pavement, get stitches, etc)
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

fronzz

The packing list in the Optional section says to bring "Iron and Spray Starch"
C/Amn Peter Hibma
CAP

ladyreferee

I've never starched anything.  Do you use it on just the BDU's or the blues?
CHERYL K CARROLL, Major, CAP

MIKE

Quote from: fronzz on June 16, 2005, 02:24:35 PM
  The packing list in the Optional section says to bring "Iron and Spray Starch"

If it's optional, then you don't have to bring it if you don't want to.  Items that are optional are not required, but items that are required are not optional.
Mike Johnston

whatevah

Quote from: ladyreferee on June 16, 2005, 03:00:23 PM
I've never starched anything.  Do you use it on just the BDU's or the blues?
both, but at encampment... it's best for the blues, as it won't last long on the BDUs.   of course, my brother and I use liquid (like the cleaners use) starch before we leave for encampment, so it lasts a couple of days. :)

IMO, an iron should be a required item for encampments, nothing worse than having pictures posted of you on the encampment website with a sloppy uniform. you can still see the 1999 encampment website of the encampment that I go to.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

MIKE

Would you starch the Service Uniform trousers, slacks, skirt etc being that they are dry clean only?  For some reason I thought the Service Uniforms were permanent press. ie. Starch BAD, but it doesn't say not to use starch on the labels of my Service Uniforms like it does for my BDUs.

I think starch on any current USAF style CAP uniform is unnecessary, I disagree with it being required at an encampment or by a local commander.

Quote from: CAPM 39-12-1. General Information. This chapter prescribes men's and women's service, dress, battle dress
uniform, flight suit, sweaters, outergarments, caps, and appearance. Uniforms must be clean, neat and
correct in design and specifications, fitted properly, pressed and in good condition (that is not frayed,
worn out, torn, faded, patched, and so forth). Uniform items are to be kept zipped, snapped, or buttoned.
Shoes are to be shined and in good repair.

Emphasis added.
Mike Johnston

Pylon

In keeping with what Mike said, I've never used starch once -- on any uniform from BDUs to Blues -- in my 8+ years of CAP and I've never had a problem making my uniforms look perfectly presentable when properly washed and pressed.

That being said, I think that access to some sort of iron and ironing board at encampment is crucial to maintaining a proper appearance.  This does not necessarily mean that each cadet will need to bring an iron, however, someone in the flight (whether that be staff, the TAC, or a cadet) ought to.  I myself am going to be a TAC officer this summer at the NYWG encampment and I plan on bringing an iron or two for the use of my flight.

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Pylon

An addendum to what I said, I did end up bringing an ironing board and iron for my cadets, as well as some bottles of febreeze.  I put the iron and board out in our cabin and announced it on the first night as a communal iron -- just use it and put it back when you're done.

It was used very frequently and the cadets appreciated it very much -- they had a bigger advantage over cadets in other flights without access to an iron.  In fact, cadet staff even borrowed my iron on occasion.  (Keep in mind, this is at an encampment with no access to laundry facilities for the entire 12 days)

So -- yes, an iron is very important to have.  There's no way that a cadet will keep both BDUs and Blues wrinkle-free the entire duration.  They'll certainly need them for the end of encampment inspections and pass-in-review if nothing else.

My advice for in-flight basic cadets attending their first encampment is to ask their flight sergeant well in advance if one of the flight staff or the TAC officers is brining an iron for the flight.  If not, request permission to bring one yourself.  Everyone will appreciate it.

(Oh, and bring a cheap iron to encampment -- not your Rowenta)   ;)

BoomStick4U

We actually had problems with Irons at my encampent. We had 2 people burn themselves because they had ironed their BDUs while they were wearing them. Its amazing how stupid people can be.
Chris Hackett, C/CMSgt.,CAP
Morgantown Composite Squadron, WVWG
C/Deputy Commander
WVWG CAC Vice Chairman
Write Brothers Award #2635

Matt

<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

Pace

Lt Col, CAP

JCSCADET

Quote from: ladyreferee on June 14, 2005, 10:48:56 PM
My son is attending an encampment in two weeks and he is worried about failing inspection if his uniform gets wrinkled.  Any truth to this?  Should I have him bring an iron along?  I've never starched anything. Would this be a solution?  What have you who have been to encampments done with keeping your uniforms looking crisp?  Any suggestions much appreciated!

i have been to two encampments and have never failed an inspection.  but it does not really matter what his uniform looks like i mean after day 5 everyone fells like crap anyways.  but its always good to give off that professional image while wearing the cap uniform.  tell him not to worry soo much encampments are not something to worry about

Cam89

usually other cadets tend to have one that you can use.
Carrisa Marinshaw
    C/Amn

Schmidty06

But that doesn't mean that they'll LET you use it.  ESPECIALLY if they're from another flight that isn't friendly with your own.

Pylon

Which is why it's good for TAC officers to bring irons.  ;)

Matt

or at least supervise the use of the irons
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

NDCS

I allways bring a iron with me to encampment with ironing board both are travel size. In question to starch some of blues shirts will yellow if you starch them especially citadel brand. I carry so much gear that I feel like I need a semi-truck to haul it (laptop, laser printer, wireless router, iron ironing board, and sewing machine) as to sewing machine there is allways a cadet who has patches that are not IAW CAPM 39-1.

Deputy Chief Cat Herder JDAEE  ::)
Dean Reiter Col CAP
ND/CC ND001