Worth it?

Started by emttobe, August 16, 2007, 05:19:21 PM

Major Carrales

Quote from: JC004 on August 16, 2007, 08:10:39 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on August 16, 2007, 08:00:44 PM
Well said JC004 and Stonewall.

The WEB is a double edged sword.

thank you, but I do believe that the interweb is a series of tubes...   >:D

12BA6...diodes...triodes...penthodes.   Who could forget the DUMOUNT and GM/DELCO tubes...and that unique smell of radio and television tubes?  It slike it go burst into flames at any minute.

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

JC004

^ I don't think Senator Stevens has any concept of it all   >:D

Major Carrales

Quote from: JC004 on August 16, 2007, 08:57:02 PM
^ I don't think Senator Stevens has any concept of it all   >:D

The Senator is likely hoping the WAR will end soon so we can begin the rebuilding of Europe...then he will wonder what we are going to do with Kaiser Wilhelm.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

MIKE

Thread is drifting into a restricted zone.  Alter course immediately or you will be locked.
Mike Johnston

brasda91

I'm a volunter firefighter and EMT.  If it wasn't for the f.d. I wouldn't have the EMT cert.  I'm an old school emt, just state certified, never had to be nationly certified.  You need to consider that unless you are in an organization group where you have the opportunity to use your emt skills regularly, it's alot of training to go through.  You would benefit more by taking the Red Cross Community First Aid class.

Both organizations provide different opportunities.  The f.d. has the advantage of responding to calls on a regular basis.  Now depending on the units in your area, they may be very active.  You will have to visit with them and see.  In my area, I can respond to f.d. calls every day, CAP calls are few and far between.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

Dragoon

If your goal is to do emergency medicine and rescue people, you'll get a lot more of it in the VFD.

The main draws of CAP compared to VFDs would probably be:

1.  Airplanes
2.  Military trappings
3.  Working with Cadets
4.  Doing ES, primarily Search and Disaster Relief.
5.  The federal USAF connection

CAP does not have the laser-like focus of a single mission organization like a Fire Department.  It has several missions that don't always mesh perfectly.  And therefore it attracts different kinds of people who don't always share the same vision of what CAP is supposed to be.  Hence all the [censored]ing.

If you are thinking about aircrew, CAP is about your only choice,  If you're interested in 2 or more of the 4 things listed above CAP is probably a good choice.

But if you're main goal is to use you're EMT rating - there are better places to volunteer your time.

Skyray

Just mild curiosity, but does it still take EMT or RN status to qualify for GTL?  We found ourselves in that situation some years ago when the Red Cross quit teaching the comprehensive first aid that wqs required for GTL.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

Al Sayre

No.  In fact Red Cross first aid is not required at all.  You can have your Medical Officer (Doctor or Nurse) teach the USAF Buddy First Aid course or any of several military courses to satisfy the first aid requirement.  As long as the instructor is SET qualified and a Medical Professional and uses a standard curriculum, they can sign you off with no problem at all, and you don't have to pay the Red Cross $40.00 a head for the class.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Skyray

Thanks, Al.  Under the original title of this thread, I am perhaps going to have to make a value judgement as to whether it is worth it.  If they offer me my membership back, with or without restoration of rank and time in grade, there is going to be an issue as to my qualifications.  North Carolina blacked out the check box in my day, and my 101 card is durn near black.  Corporate liability requires currency, so If they take me back, I am going to have to start working on getting current.  I have taken all the ICS training courtesy of the Coast Guard, but that is pretty much the only thing that cross references.  I suppose the Senior Training Levels are good forever, but a lot of the operational stuff has to be renewed.  I suppose I shouldn't get the cart before the horse; I should wait and see what the board does first.
Doug Johnson - Miami

RiverAux

When did you have to be an EMT to be a Ground Team Leader?  They used to require "Advanced" First Aid -- which actually wasn't defined.  Can't believe EMT was ever actually required because we never would have gotten more than a handful to meet that qual. 

Stonewall

Quote from: RiverAux on August 17, 2007, 10:12:13 PM
Wh  They used to require "Advanced" First Aid -- which actually wasn't defined.  Can't believe EMT was ever actually required because we never would have gotten more than a handful to meet that qual. 

Roger that on "Advanced First Aid".  Never heard of a requirement for EMT to be a GTL.  If that were the case, we would have had a shortage of GTLs for as long as I've been in CAP.
Serving since 1987.

Skyray

O.K. you guys, remember where I am, in the land of over-professionalism.  My recollection is that the Red Cross used to teach "Advanced" First Aid, and when they were teaching it, the requirement was for Advanced First Aid or equivalent.  The only equivalent my wing would accept was EMT or RN.  When my "Advanced First Aid" expired (three years?) I had to drop back to GTM.  My mentor was an EMT or Paramedic (whichever is higher, sorry I don't keep up with medical politics) and my Group Commander was an RN, so it didn't hurt us too bad.  It was just a pain having to wake them up to go out on an EPIRB mission.  Wasn't long until that requirement was waived for DF missions.
Doug Johnson - Miami

RiverAux

At least where I'm at now, they interpreted Advanced First Aid to be the 40-hour First Responder course, but I think in most cases they just pencil-whipped it as very few of the people that I know were GTLs back then had done that course. 

Skyray

Quote from: RiverAux on August 18, 2007, 12:57:14 AM
At least where I'm at now, they interpreted Advanced First Aid to be the 40-hour First Responder course, but I think in most cases they just pencil-whipped it as very few of the people that I know were GTLs back then had done that course. 

First Responder was what they put in to replace Advanced (told you I was old) and my wing wouldn't accept it.  It is water under the bridge now, Al tells me that there is now a reasonable requirement.  My command structure was adamant about pencil whipping.  If it said Advanced First Aid or equivalent, you took Advanced First Aid or you were a medic or an RN.  I took Advanced First, albeit when dinosaurs roamed.
Doug Johnson - Miami

sarmedic70

Hey all.  This is my first post..............have been a "side-liner" as such...........:-)  Have been reading the various comments with interest........

I have been a CAP member for well over 20 years, am currently a RN and a medic. I have served in various capacities within CAP throughout the years to include Emergency Services.

I started out in CAP while in Army Aviation (military veteran of well over 26 years military service). One night, while waiting to do some night flying, noticed some rather small Air Force types walking around over on the other side of our facilities. I go into our weather flight office and inquire with the AF NCO as to whom these miniature AF types were. He told me they were Civil Air Patrol Cadets.  The following week, again, while waiting to do some night flying, went over to where they were meeting, visited with them for awhile and observed, and the next thing I knew, the following week, I was attending their squadron meetings, joined, and started out as the Leadership Officer working with Cadets..................it wasn't till a few years later did I start flying with CAP.........had so much fun working with the cadets and GT...............so, I started off working with cadets and then it evolved into doing Ground Team work/training..........again, it was great!!!!...............It has evolved ever since....................again, having served in many different roles in CAP (leadership, training, training development, et al)................I could give you the LONG laundry listing of my qualifications and assignments, but...........................................I need not too my own horn......................... :D

At any rate, for GTL, it was never ever EMT or RN requirement.  The 60-3, simply put, is the basis for what is needed and required.  I would suggest/advised to read it for yourself to get what is required.  TONS of different opinions, well meant, out there, but the 60-3 IS the "gospel." So read it for yourself.  Basic first aid, as such, has essentially been the only requirement for GTs..................to require EMT status (or even RN) is not right.  First of all, to function as an EMT MUST be under medical direction in order to do certain things. Just because one is licensed or certified, doesn't mean they can function outside of medical direction/control, simply put  So basic first aid (or even advanced) is the degree of medical training needed.
Again, I cannot emphasize enough to first and foremost go to the 60-3 to get the straight scoop as to what is required for GTM/GTL................it minimizes errors in information/misinformation......................

As far as uniforms go:  CAP is no different than the regular military in the constant changes in uniforms.  Since coming into the Army (during Viet Nam time period.......toward the end of it), I have seen uniforms change to the point I have actually lost count. I still have all of my original uniforms since day one.....................And I have no doubt it will be a constant state of change throughout...................to include CAP.  I do feel, however, that CAP has way too many varied options for the uniforms though...........and does need to be simplified.....................but I won't go into that......that is for a different discussion thread elsewhere.

To address comments about the nature of CAP:  I read somewhere somebody stating people will be people. That is so very true.  You see that in alll walks of life..................CAP gets is membership just from the same sources as the military, businesses, et al.......from the "real world." There are no guarantees in anything. The thing somewhat different with CAP is that it often does bring in those "wanna be's" and that is where sometimes the problems do arise; however, it also brings in more often than not, some really wonderfully dedicated individuals who love working with cadets, enjoy aerospace education or have an interest in emergency services be it flying, communications, ground teams, et al......................different strokes for different folks.....................  I have a motto I like to abide by, and have always stressed with my soldiers (and fellow CAP members):  adapt, improvise and overcome...............SEMPER GUMBI..............(always flexible............for those of you who remember the little green man, Gumbi).........In CAP you have to or else you will go nuts...........go with the flow.....................and abide by the regulations..............when we start listening to the gossip, varied interpretations of how things are done (without regards to the regulations), and so forth, that is when the trouble begins.................present solutions vice problems...................HOW can we make things better?...........HOW can we do things better?................HOW can we present CAP in a positive light to attract members?................

Truth be told:  CAP is NOT for everybody......................there is a certain amount of dedication and selfless service that is required for our organization.........along with professionalism...................we are truly UNPAID PROFESSIONALS...........we are NOT just VOLUNTEERS.........................CAP has its own uniqueness about it that sets it apart from any and all other "volunteer" organizations, and thusly sets us all apart from all other "volunteers.".................as was outlined by another individual post:  airplanes, military trappings, working with cadets, et al........................a nice mixture of a little bit of everything...............

CAP is truly what the individual makes of it......either recognize we are all UNPAID PROFESSIONALS or "just volunteers," getting caught up with all the various gossiping and grumblings about the organization.  We can truly be our own worst enemies in this organization......................

Nothing and no organization is ever perfect......................however, by working all together and being a TEAM (setting the example for our cadets, eh?), we can most definitely make it better at all levels, overcome the political garbage that comes with it, and truly be UNPAID PROFESSIONALS.

Again, I could personally write a book about stuff I have encountered throughout the years I have been in CAP at ALL levels that I have been involved (and could have easily quit), but just like with the military, I resisted the political garbage and truly remained dedicated and true to self with my own personal integrity, ethics, and standards and rose above the negative and truly adapted, improvised and OVERCAME those obstacles............it was not easy however..................lead by example, set the example, BE THE EXAMPLE.

We all come into CAP for various reasons............it is up to each individual to make of it what he/she wants..............good or bad..............each individual has certain expectations for when they come in...............good or bad....................WE, as a team, can assist them in achieving their expectations as much as possible and a realistically as possible, and that is first of all, have the correct information before presenting it to them (via the regulations/manuals), if unclear, getting clarification from higher channels experts in the area vice guessing and trying to individually interpret something, presenting CAP (be it at the lowest level to the highest) in a POSITIVE light..................overcoming the negative aspects of it..............of which is just life period no matter where you are..................adapt, improvise and OVERCOME...........Semper Gumbi!