Main Menu

Here's an Idea...

Started by jb512, August 14, 2007, 05:50:27 PM

jb512

Obviously the uniform section is the most posted in on this whole board.  We have more discussions, complaints, suggestions, ideas, etc., about uniforms than anything else having to do with CAP.  That being said, why don't we just go with what we have and move on.  I have my own ideas about what should change but it really won't do much good unless there is a concerted effort by everyone in one direction.

We have a whole closet full of uniforms to choose from now depending on your taste or weight so just pick one, or two, or seven, that you want to collect, and wear what your squadron commander sets as the uniform of the day.

The only thing I'd like for us all to push for as a collective group is to get the background color of our nametapes to change when we switch to the ABU.  Maybe that is one specific thing we can all get behind because everything else seems to be manageable.  Call me crazy...

mikeylikey

Changing the nametape and service tape will never happen.  Vanguard would never allow it.  They are the "REAL" driving force behind the all of our uniform decisions now.  How nice it would be to be able to order those tapes from any supplier.  Not just vanguard.
What's up monkeys?

jb512

Well, I'm not real sure that we need to deviate from one supplier once we set what we want.  That just keeps everything the same quality (yes, I know about the problems with them...).

Nothing against thehock... great place, but the quality of some of their stuff is lacking.  There is a definite difference in the embroidered wings/badges/rank than those I've got from Vanguard.

Maybe if we specified to the stitch what our specs are, like the military does, then we could open it up to different suppliers.

IceNine

WHAT!?!?  Vanguard is the driving force behind our uniforms??  They can't choose, dictate, or reject any part of what CAP says we wear.  All they can do is be super slow and miss the promised deadlines repeatedly until such a time when the Leadership of this organization say "make duty or get off the pot".  

That being said there are tons of things that I think we should address before we push for something that has been shot down several times over the years, and even taken away from us at times.

Agreed, We should absolutely publish the specs and allow for an open market on CAP devices.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Lancer

If Vanguard would even simply do the job they were tasked to do in the beginning, and DO IT WELL, like most other vendors in this world, I'm sure 95% of the CAP population would be happy.

Case in point, I helped one of my new cadets order what he needs for his uniform. We order nametapes for his BDU's 3 of his last name, and 3 of the 'US Civil Air Patrol' branch tapes. Everything except the latter shows up, due to the tapes not be in stock! EXCUSE ME? 'US Civil Air Patrol' tapes are out of stock? If they can embroider the cadets last name on a tape, what in the name of all that is holy is keeping them from just making more branch tapes at the same time?

It's stuff like this that makes us all crazy.

jb512

And we have no recourse.  If we had "capspecs" for our insignia, then we could get anyone we wanted to make them as long as they were held to those guidelines.

LtCol White

Quote from: mlcurtis69 on August 14, 2007, 06:15:12 PM
If Vanguard would even simply do the job they were tasked to do in the beginning, and DO IT WELL, like most other vendors in this world, I'm sure 95% of the CAP population would be happy.

Case in point, I helped one of my new cadets order what he needs for his uniform. We order nametapes for his BDU's 3 of his last name, and 3 of the 'US Civil Air Patrol' branch tapes. Everything except the latter shows up, due to the tapes not be in stock! EXCUSE ME? 'US Civil Air Patrol' tapes are out of stock? If they can embroider the cadets last name on a tape, what in the name of all that is holy is keeping them from just making more branch tapes at the same time?

I ordered the tab for the gortex jacket on 7/30 and still don't have it. And its supposedly was in stock. Website says it was shipped but still don't have it. I guess it costs 7.00 to ship via camel.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

IceNine

Obviously there are not specs period. 

Case in point "new" CAP cutouts for cadets

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

jb512

Quote from: LtCol White on August 14, 2007, 06:44:09 PM
Quote from: mlcurtis69 on August 14, 2007, 06:15:12 PM

I ordered the tab for the gortex jacket on 7/30 and still don't have it. And its supposedly was in stock. Website says it was shipped but still don't have it. I guess it costs 7.00 to ship via camel.

2 weeks?  That's pretty quick...

Hawk200

Quote from: LtCol White on August 14, 2007, 06:44:09 PM
..... I guess it costs 7.00 to ship via camel.

Wow, cheap camel...

SARMedTech

I have a uniform shop down the street from my house that gives me a discount because I have a side business doing acupressure and I treat their staff when they are hurting or sick so they cut me a deal. They can get anything I could possibly need for CAP including specialty embroidered stuff, with the possibility of some of the more intricate designs and they can often do up stuff for me for EMS as far as alterations and tailoring, patches sewn on etc while I wait. Whats to stop me just from going there? All of there BDUs, ODUs, TDUs, etc are mil-spec or better. Ive never had anyone come up and turn my collar inside out to check the tag, so whats the problem? Ive never understood why folks just dont go some place else? Vanguard clearly isnt going to get its act together so why should the membership have to bow and scrape just to get the item they ordered? Ridiculous.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

mikeylikey

^  Ah.....please report the name, address and phone number of this shop to the black van that will be outside your residence in approximately....5......4......3......2......1!  Cease and Desist order being printed as you sit there, corporate Lawyers notified, assault teams preparing for first strike.

Thank you for alerting us to the presence of an illegal manufacturer/ supplier.  You can exchange the uniforms you have purchased there for Vanguard issued clothing.  A Vanguard box has already been shipped to your home, please insert your uniforms and a $7.00 cashiers check for shipping.  At your earliest convenience please place your on line Vanguard order for new uniforms.  Until you do you are suspended from any and all CAP activities as you may be out of uniform. 

Seriously.......I agree, get your uniforms and uniform items at the places that offer good quality at a decent price without a huge shipping fee!
What's up monkeys?

IceNine

It's still funny to me that apparently people way above my pay grade, with the ability to affect change in this organization Monitor, slap wrists, and occasionally publish there thoughts here yet  our concerns, complaints and hardships are STILL being ignored...  usually people with the power to do something will eventually jump on board to keep their membership happy.  But I guess thats the joy of having commanders appointed by commanders huh

(steps off the soapbox)

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

alamrcn

Quote from: mfd1506 on August 14, 2007, 06:02:33 PM
WHAT!?!?  Vanguard is the driving force behind our uniforms??  They can't choose, dictate, or reject any part of what CAP says we wear.  All they can do is be super slow and miss the promised deadlines repeatedly until such a time when the Leadership of this organization say "make duty or get off the pot".

Maybe not directly, but I'll bet CAP has a "buy back" policy in place with them. Such as if we chose to discontinue and phase out a particular item, National has to buy-out the remaining liability supply from Vanguard. It's a policy that makes sense.

I do remember an announcement by National of a phase-out date for the Royal Blue <Smurf> Jumpsuit. Not properly communicating this idea to the Bookstore far enough in advance, the Bookstore was just about to receive a large shipment of freshly made Smurf Suits. National almost immediately added a couple years onto the original date. That was awhile ago, so I only remember the gist of the situation and not the exact facts, sorry. So here is an example where the Bookstore altered a uniform decision because National (one and the same I guess) didn't want to eat the loss.

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota