Main Menu

AFRC Uniform Change

Started by sardak, August 10, 2007, 06:52:27 AM

sardak

Interesting comments.  The rationale for uniforms applies to CAP,  for both corporate and USAF uniforms, regardless of Aux on/off.

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123063842

Rules change to require technicians to wear uniforms fulltime

8/8/2007 - ROBINS AIR FORCE BASE, Ga. (AFPN) -- When people visit an Air Force Reserve Command unit during a normal work week in the coming months, they are likely to see more people in military uniforms.

Air Force officials changed three instructions Aug. 7 to require all air reserve technicians to wear military uniforms rather than civilian clothes while working in civilian status. ARTs are full-time civilian employees who serve in the same job as Air Force reservists. They've been wearing uniforms when in military status.

"We want our ARTs to be in uniform because we are integrating with the regular Air Force and Air National Guard throughout the Air Force," said Lt. Gen. John A. Bradley, AFRC commander. "Total force integration is changing how we interact with the rest of the Air Force.

"Even before 9/11, the regular component depended on us to get the job done," he said. "That dependency is growing because we cannot afford to do business as usual. We need to consolidate our forces and capitalize on each other's strengths."

"I believe wearing uniforms is an important step to being a full partner and an unrivaled wingman in today's Air Force," said General Bradley.

Mike

RiverAux

Very interesting....the Air Force is requiring civilians to wear military uniforms.  Yes, they are also Reservists, but when they're working during the week they're doing it as civilians. 

Not new though...I know the Coast Guard put all sorts of their civilian infrastructure into the Temporary Reserve during WWII so that they would be in uniform and fit in with everybody else. 

mikeylikey

See here is what the AF fiqures..............you may be a civilian, but you are doing the same job as you do during drill weekend, you are a Airman first a civilian second.  These people get paid by DFAS both civilian and military pay.  Now we will be "One team".  I expect the other services to follow suit.  This is a good thing!  Except where there may have been an informal atmosphere in teh office before, now people will most likely use rank and customs and courtesies more. 

What's up monkeys?

TankerT

Quote from: RiverAux on August 10, 2007, 01:11:25 PM
Very interesting....the Air Force is requiring civilians to wear military uniforms.  Yes, they are also Reservists, but when they're working during the week they're doing it as civilians. 

Not new though...I know the Coast Guard put all sorts of their civilian infrastructure into the Temporary Reserve during WWII so that they would be in uniform and fit in with everybody else. 

Well.  Proper distinction is that these are a special classification of public service employees.  To be a technician, you must be a reservist/guard member, and must maintain that status to keep your job.

In all honesty, this isn't anything new.  The Army National Guard has had their technicians in uniform since I can remember, and the Air Guard is the same way.  (In my state anyway.)  I'm talking at least 20 years here...  So... nothing really new here...

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

JohnKachenmeister

You are right, the Air National Guard (and the Army Guard, too) has always required their technicians to work in uniform.

For Reserve technicians, it used to be optional. 

I support it.  Mornings are tough enough without having to make a decision as to what to wear.
Another former CAP officer

Hawk200

Quote from: mikeylikey on August 10, 2007, 01:47:56 PM
....Except where there may have been an informal atmosphere in teh office before, now people will most likely use rank and customs and courtesies more. 

I wouldn't go that far. Half the people in my section are technicians, and they call each other by first names on drill weekend. Just wearing new clothes doesn't magically change behaviour.

mikeylikey

^  True......but I would expect my subordinates to act more "military".  Guess it all depends on what type of Senior NCO's and Officers you have.  I think the push for uniforms is to try to get these people to incorporate into the "one team concept", and outsiders to see them as one AF team.

What's up monkeys?

ddelaney103

Quote from: mikeylikey on August 10, 2007, 05:48:22 PM
^  True......but I would expect my subordinates to act more "military".  Guess it all depends on what type of Senior NCO's and Officers you have.  I think the push for uniforms is to try to get these people to incorporate into the "one team concept", and outsiders to see them as one AF team.

The problem is they're not your "subordinates:" they're your employees.  Being an Air Technician means being a federal civilian employee, often a unionized civilian employee.  The rules are much tighter when giving work to an Air Tech - "stay until you get it done" means OT or Comp Time as well as mission accomplishment.

mikeylikey

^  I wonder how the union is going to respond to this change then. 
What's up monkeys?

ddelaney103

Quote from: mikeylikey on August 10, 2007, 06:37:04 PM
^  I wonder how the union is going to respond to this change then. 

You laugh, but my old maintenance supervisor was dual hatted: SSgt on weekends, shop steward during the week.  I'm glad I never had to play that game.

If I had to guess, it will all depend on their uniform allowance.

mikeylikey

^ or lack of uniform allowance. 
What's up monkeys?