Suspension Story on the AP Wire

Started by SeattleSarge, August 09, 2007, 06:51:44 AM

SeattleSarge

While checking my Google news alerts tonight I found the AP story written by Phillip Rawls has been distributed to over 70 major news outlets.  From the Seattle PI and the San Jose Mercury News, to the Guardian in London.

Just a"heads-up" to local unit PAOs that might be getting questions from local news contacts.

-SeattleSarge

Ronald G. Kruml, TSgt, CAP
Public Affairs - Mission Aircrewman
Seattle Composite Squadron PCR-WA-018
http://www.capseattlesquadron.org

JC004

wingnut

Pylon

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Does anyone here pick-up a copy of the post?  Hopefuly while it's on their website it won't make the print edition.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

JC004

floridacyclist

QuotePineda accused Hayden of filed the complaint in retaliation for not stopping a patrol investigation of him.
Has proofreading gone out of fashion? I understand a little carelessness in a pvt email or blog, but in a national press release?
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

Al Sayre

Yeah, they dont teach no good english in them there skools anymore   :'(
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

jimmydeanno

Guidance counselor to student: "To graduate, you must earn one credit in a foreign language course."

Student: "How am I going to do that, I'm not even passing English..."
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Skyray

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 09, 2007, 02:25:39 PM
Guidance counselor to student: "To graduate, you must earn one credit in a foreign language course."

Student: "How am I going to do that, I'm not even passing English..."

Hate to comment, but down here in Miami, English is a foreign language.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

afgeo4

Just in time for the PAO academy! OY!

Not that I'm not convinced that this is the right move for the organization, but to make it THIS public? How could this possibly help us, the organization, the volunteers, the air force, the people who rely on us?

I'm sure USAF is now very happy that we went with U.S. Civil Air Patrol and cannot be so easily mistaken for the real Air Force.
GEORGE LURYE

JohnKachenmeister

Cardinal PAO Rule for Handling Bad News:

"Go up front and public with bad news right away.  Bad news goes away when exposed to light.  Suspected "Cover ups" are talked about for years."
Another former CAP officer

afgeo4

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on August 09, 2007, 03:39:06 PM

"Go up front and public with bad news right away.  Bad news goes away when exposed to light.  Suspected "Cover ups" are talked about for years."

While that makes sense for journalists, I think it isn't always the prudent thing to do when you're in public relations. I believe that some things should just stay in house or at least an attempt should be made to keep them so as not to embarass the organization.

While no PAO should ever mislead or lie, we don't always have to volunteer negative info and seek out media to distribute it. Blowing things out of proportion doesn't exactly help our image.

If they ask about it, answer their questions and make a statement.
If they don't, just smile, wave and say "How y'all folks doing today?!"
GEORGE LURYE

DogCollar

Quote from: afgeo4 on August 09, 2007, 04:45:04 PM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on August 09, 2007, 03:39:06 PM

While that makes sense for journalists, I think it isn't always the prudent thing to do when you're in public relations. I believe that some things should just stay in house or at least an attempt should be made to keep them so as not to embarass the organization.

While no PAO should ever mislead or lie, we don't always have to volunteer negative info and seek out media to distribute it. Blowing things out of proportion doesn't exactly help our image.

While I agree that blowing things out of proportion is not helpful, I, respectfully, disagree about somethings staying "in house."  Organizations without a culture of transperancy are often viewed negatively.  I think information needs to be shared with the members and the public as well.  We also need to communicate what is being done to correct the problem. 

Just another opinion.  No slight intended.
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

KFreeman

The story was on the local am radio news station here in Mobile, AL at noon.

Sounded like the announcer was reading it from a wire release.

Ken
Authentic Antique Aviator

How long did they talk about it?  Did they just read it and be done with it?  If so hopefully it was just filler for time.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Skyray

I'll have to back Kach.  When you have a jury trial and your client did something bad, you put him on the stand and ask him about it.  It has a lot less impact than if the opponent brings it up later.  Nixon tried to cover up the "Plumbers" and the Committee to Reelect the President (CREEP) and look what happened to him.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member