Short stacking: How do you do it?

Started by Hawk200, May 29, 2021, 02:26:08 AM

Hawk200

Will be heading back to CAP probably in the next month or so, and I'm updating the uniforms.

Got a lot of ribbons(which are mostly military,) and I know the height requirement has been removed, but I don't want to be stacking everything up to the epaulet on my shirt.

Considering all the available options; it looks like short stacking is the most reasonable and practical option.

That being said, for those with military ribbons that short stack their rack, what do you normally do?

I'm just curious as to what the most common practice is. A select number of your top mil ribbons? Only your medal denoting ribbons? A pick and choose of the ones that are most significant to you?

The only CAP ribbons I'm planning on dropping are Level 1 and 2.

SarDragon

WIWOAD, the Canoe Club rule was three highest, which for me would be MUC, Navy 'E', and Good Conduct.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

If I wear military ribbons with my CAP ones, I normally wear my individual decorations, i.e. AF Commendation, AF Achievement, Meritorious Service Medal, Air Medal.

But normally I don't wear my military ribbons and CAP ribbons together. And I normally wear ribbons about twice a year. Encampment graduation and Memorial Day ceremony.

Hawk200

Quote from: PHall on May 29, 2021, 02:43:46 AMIf I wear military ribbons with my CAP ones, I normally wear my individual decorations, i.e. AF Commendation, AF Achievement, Meritorious Service Medal, Air Medal.
Was kinda thinking the same, but thought I'd see what others are doing.

Quote from: PHall on May 29, 2021, 02:43:46 AMBut normally I don't wear my military ribbons and CAP ribbons together. And I normally wear ribbons about twice a year. Encampment graduation and Memorial Day ceremony.
I always have racks set up, and update when I get any new ribbon. It's always ready.

On Service coat, I can go four wide for a couple rows, so that reduces the height.

I'd love to go miniature ribbons, but the guidance in 39-1 isn't really clear, and read exactly as written you could only legally wear them 3 in a row. Which would not look right. There's also the fact that mini ribbons are probably expensive or impossible to obtain, so it's not worth the time or expense to even bother.

baronet68

Quote from: Hawk200 on May 29, 2021, 04:02:05 AM...
I'd love to go miniature ribbons, but the guidance in 39-1 isn't really clear, and read exactly as written you could only legally wear them 3 in a row. Which would not look right. There's also the fact that mini ribbons are probably expensive or impossible to obtain, so it's not worth the time or expense to even bother.

The regulation only makes a single mention of 'miniature ribbons' (literally copied/pasted from AFI36-2903, in which that same paragraph is also the only mention of miniature ribbons):

Quote from: CAPR 39-111.3. Description of Medals and Ribbons. Miniature medals are approximately ½ the size of regular medals. Note: The Medal of Honor is always regular size. Regular-size ribbons are 1 ⅜ x ⅜ inches and miniature ribbons are 11/16 x ⅜ inches.

While miniature military ribbons do exist, it appears equally vague as to whether they are actually authorized for wear on the USAF uniform... and good luck trying to find any CAP ribbons manufactured in those dimensions.
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

Hawk200

Quote from: baronet68 on May 29, 2021, 06:30:08 AMThe regulation only makes a single mention of 'miniature ribbons' (literally copied/pasted from AFI36-2903, in which that same paragraph is also the only mention of miniature ribbons):

The older versions of 2903 actually not only mentioned them, they told you how to wear them. It was a minimum of four per row, but you could go up to six. If you went six wide, the height of your rack could be cut in half. Which I'd love to be able to do.

Quote from: baronet68 on May 29, 2021, 06:30:08 AMWhile miniature military ribbons do exist, it appears equally vague as to whether they are actually authorized for wear on the USAF uniform... and good luck trying to find any CAP ribbons manufactured in those dimensions.

They'd be easy enough; they already have the ribbon stock. The question would be having enough people to buy it.

However, I'll go with the short stack. It's the easiest and cheapest way to get it done.

baronet68

You can always short-stack by color scheme to best match your mood, the season, or your spouse's eveningwear.

The red, white, and blue collection...   ;D

Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

Luis R. Ramos

Really? Short-stacking by color? I have never heard of that idea, but I do like it!  ;D
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

N6RVT

Quote from: SarDragon on May 29, 2021, 02:34:27 AMWIWOAD, the Canoe Club rule was three highest, which for me would be MUC, Navy 'E', and Good Conduct.

Or "Any Nine". As I have more than 9 military ribbons I do that. Same ribbon rack works for both uniforms and I never have to update it again.

N6RVT

Quote from: Hawk200 on May 29, 2021, 04:02:05 AMI'd love to go miniature ribbons, but the guidance in 39-1 isn't really clear, and read exactly as written you could only legally wear them 3 in a row. Which would not look right. There's also the fact that mini ribbons are probably expensive or impossible to obtain, so it's not worth the time or expense to even bother.

You get a lot of credit for even knowing those exist.  Most people think miniature ribbon refers to the lapel pin you get  with some medals.

I would wear one row of 7 miniature ribbons if it was an option.  And most people would stare at them and go WTF??

The main argument against miniature ribbons is that there is not enough room for all the authorized devices. You can only fit one, and some CAP ribbons not only have two devices but those are different, and in some cases its three.  I have an Army ribbon with four clusters on it.  I have a CAP ribbon with both a star AND a triangle clasp, on a  miniature only one of those would fit.

I'm guessing in the distant past that it was probably uncommon for a ribbon/medal to have more than one device on it, and when it started being more, miniature ribbons fell out of style.

PHall

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on May 29, 2021, 10:23:21 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on May 29, 2021, 04:02:05 AMI'd love to go miniature ribbons, but the guidance in 39-1 isn't really clear, and read exactly as written you could only legally wear them 3 in a row. Which would not look right. There's also the fact that mini ribbons are probably expensive or impossible to obtain, so it's not worth the time or expense to even bother.

You get a lot of credit for even knowing those exist.  Most people think miniature ribbon refers to the lapel pin you get  with some medals.

I would wear one row of 7 miniature ribbons if it was an option.  And most people would stare at them and go WTF??

The main argument against miniature ribbons is that there is not enough room for all the authorized devices. You can only fit one, and some CAP ribbons not only have two devices but those are different, and in some cases its three.  I have an Army ribbon with four clusters on it.  I have a CAP ribbon with both a star AND a triangle clasp, on a  miniature only one of those would fit.

I'm guessing in the distant past that it was probably uncommon for a ribbon/medal to have more than one device on it, and when it started being more, miniature ribbons fell out of style.

Are you using the miniature devices on your miniature ribbons? They're about half the size of the regular devices.

N6RVT

Quote from: PHall on May 30, 2021, 01:15:10 AMAre you using the miniature devices on your miniature ribbons? They're about half the size of the regular devices.

I have never seen such a thing.  I would be interested, however assembling a rack of such stuff sounds like it would need a magnifying glass and jeweler's tools.

PHall

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on May 30, 2021, 01:52:15 AM
Quote from: PHall on May 30, 2021, 01:15:10 AMAre you using the miniature devices on your miniature ribbons? They're about half the size of the regular devices.

I have never seen such a thing.  I would be interested, however assembling a rack of such stuff sounds like it would need a magnifying glass and jeweler's tools.

They're the devices you use on the miniature medals.  And yes, that's a job you let Ultra Thin do.

N6RVT

Quote from: PHall on May 30, 2021, 02:04:06 AM
Quote from: Dwight Dutton on May 30, 2021, 01:52:15 AM
They're the devices you use on the miniature medals.  And yes, that's a job you let Ultra Thin do.

You could buy miniature medals, cut the medal off just below the mount and glue the edge over and get a miniature ribbon out of it. Expensive but you *could* do it.  I did find a reference in 39-1 that said only full size ribbons would be worn though.  So now that I know that I can, I know that I can't.

GroundHawg

You could do your top 6, top 3 from Military and top 3 CAP

Hawk200

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on May 29, 2021, 10:23:21 PMYou get a lot of credit for even knowing those exist.  Most people think miniature ribbon refers to the lapel pin you get  with some medals.

I retired with over 30 years, and I've always been one of those people that read through the uniform related pubs, trying to learn things, and seeing if there were other things I liked. Went to Airman Leadership School wearing one of those square bottom knit ties in about '92, and three days later all the instructors were wearing them. I kind of learned and set trends.

Quote from: GroundHawg on May 31, 2021, 11:48:04 AMYou could do your top 6, top 3 from Military and top 3 CAP

I used to do that, but strangely, it seemed frowned upon.

Plus, I've dealt with a couple rather self absorbed cadets that seem to think that if they're wearing a lot more ribbons than I am, it somehow establishes an authority (or something) over me and others. S, I tend to wear most everything.

I make it a point of educating some people that ribbons are a resume of sorts. Learn how to read it, and you can tell what people have done. The number is not necessarily indicative of qualifications or experience. My best friend has a ribbon rack with fewer ribbons than I do, but if you look closely, you can see he has far more decs than I do. (Including multiple Commendations, a IIRC, three MSMs.) Of course, he is an exceptional person, and I'm proud of the fact that I know him. I've learned a lot from him.

Anyway, I'd be able to wear everything with a reasonable sized rack with those minis.

But, I've pretty much decided on military decs, and most CAP ribbons. It's a nice 20 ribbon rack with two at the top which makes it easier to center those badges. Until minis go mainstream, I'll stick with this technique for shirts. On a service coat, I can make them all fit without much trouble.