Quick question - which uniform to wear tonight?

Started by Nomex Maximus, July 31, 2007, 09:12:03 PM

Snake Doctor

Thanks for the help.  It's still somewhat clear as mud. I agree that it should be flight suits only while actually performing actual flight crew duties.     

Paul Hertel, Lt Col, Civil Air Patrol
Wing Chief Of Staff
Assistant Wing PAO
Illinois Wing

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: SarDragon on August 01, 2007, 04:28:53 AM
Some folks here are very opposed to the polo shirt uniform, and are doing whatever they can to discourage its wear. Gene is simply pointing out that the polo shirt IS a uniform, no matter how much they would like it not to be.

The polo shirt may be called a "uniform" by CAP so the organization can regulate it. But it's not a uniform, really.

The polo shirt brings discredit upon CAP as being anything more than a flying club or a disorganized group of volunteers. It should be banninated from official activities, especially anything where there's a camera/a public affairs or information officer/working media around.

We have uniforms for people who don't meet weight or grooming requirements, without invoking the polo shirt.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Snake Doctor

I didn't mean for this to degenerate into a debste on polo shirts. 

I was look ing for something concrete, black and white, on the appropriate wear of flight suits.  When and where. 

Thanks for all the inputs. 
Paul Hertel, Lt Col, Civil Air Patrol
Wing Chief Of Staff
Assistant Wing PAO
Illinois Wing

star1151

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on March 30, 2008, 06:21:39 PM
The polo shirt brings discredit upon CAP as being anything more than a flying club or a disorganized group of volunteers.

With all due respect, why should a person spend a lot of money on other uniforms when some squadrons *do* fall into the disorganized group of volunteers?  Until I have the opportunity to wear a uniform outside of a normal meeting, I'm not spending the money.

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: star1151 on March 30, 2008, 10:31:06 PM
...why should a person spend a lot of money on other uniforms when some squadrons *do* fall into the disorganized group of volunteers?  Until I have the opportunity to wear a uniform outside of a normal meeting, I'm not spending the money.

Believe it or not, I can understand where you're coming from. And in your situation (if there are no cadets around, especially), I'm sure your situation is just fine. I mention cadets because as senior members, we MUST lead by example. If we don't wear the uniform, or wear it improperly, why shouldn't they? It becomes "do as i say, not as I do."

If you're in a senior squadron, and the weekly meetings* are really laid back, like I say, that's another thing. Please don't mistake that.

*In my unit, we don't call them "meetings," as that sounds like a social affair. They're "unit training activities," or UTAs, and can happen on weekends, too. The brass tacks: Change the language to be more professional, and you change the focus and attitudes.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Gunner C

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on March 31, 2008, 01:48:19 AM
Quote from: star1151 on March 30, 2008, 10:31:06 PM
...why should a person spend a lot of money on other uniforms when some squadrons *do* fall into the disorganized group of volunteers?  Until I have the opportunity to wear a uniform outside of a normal meeting, I'm not spending the money.

*In my unit, we don't call them "meetings," as that sounds like a social affair. They're "unit training activities," or UTAs, and can happen on weekends, too. The brass tacks: Change the language to be more professional, and you change the focus and attitudes.

It sounds like the NG - Unit Training Assemblies.  Good idea - words count.  There are units that also have "drills" instead of meetings.  IIRC, Maryland Wing does that - Iowa may also.

GC