Main Menu

CAP-USAF budget

Started by RiverAux, July 31, 2007, 04:03:20 PM

RiverAux

Does anyone have any budget figures for what the AF spends on the CAP-USAF structure, including the state directors?  I don't imagine that this is included in the CAP report to congress since those monies don't actually go to CAP. 

ltcmark

Last figures that I heard a few years ago, CAP-USAF receives about $29 million.  That covers all USAF officers that work with CAP, State Directors, USAF operational expenses, etc.  Out of the $29 million, USAF funded CAP about $9 million of that for our operations.  That paid for aircraft, vehicles, maintenance, radios, NHQ staff wages, operational expenses, etc..   So in essence, the government is spending $20 million to oversee a program that cost $9 million.

As I mentioned, this was from a few years ago.  I know that all the Air Force commands took a 15% cut in their budgets because of war efforts not to long ago.  This cut also affected CAP's budget.

sardak

The USAF budgets for FY99 through FY08 are here: http://www.saffm.hq.af.mil/budget/
FY08 contains estimates for FY09.

The CAP budget can be found in Air Force O&M, Vol I.  Within the budget, CAP is Sub-activity Group 42I, under Administration and Servicewide Activities (BA-04). "Servicewide Activities cut across the entire Air Force to ensure combat capabilities through communications, personnel and policy direction, and the Civil Air Patrol."

Here are the numbers from the FY08 budget, in thousands of dollars.
FY06 requested $21,087
FY06 actual $34,945
FY07 appropriation $24,803
FY08 estimate $23,753
FY09 estimate $24,445

In the line item section of the CAP sub-group it states "There are no military or civilian personnel associated with this sub-activity group," so the line item for personnel costs is $0.

There is more interesting stuff in Aircraft Procurement, Vol I.  There CAP is under Budget Activity 04 - Other Aircraft.  In this category are: CV-22 Osprey, Civil Air Patrol, target drones, C-37A, Globalhawk and Predator.  For FY08 the CAP budget is 2.2 mil out of 1,049.5 mil for the category.

From that section, FY 2007 Program Justification
Award the production contract for 17 Cessna 182T's. Four seat fixed-wing single engine aircraft equipped with satellite digital imaging systems, automatic direction finder, emergency locator transmitter, fm radio, camera port window, ground power unit, and crew training.

FY 2008 Program Justification
Award the production contract for 10 Cessna 182T's same as above.
FY 2009 Program Justification
Award the production contract for 5 Cessna 182T's same as above.

The table in the budget though, shows 17 in 06, 5 in 07, 10 in 08 and 5 in 09.

For the years 07, 08, 09
Blanik L23 gliders 1, 2, 2
GA-8 0,0,0
BYCA ground power units 24,23,10
Becker DF 0,1,0

Mike