Main Menu

Handing out BDUs

Started by RiverAux, July 31, 2007, 03:14:34 AM

Does your squadron regularly get free surplus BDUs to give to cadets?

Yes
22 (48.9%)
No
23 (51.1%)

Total Members Voted: 45

RiverAux

Floating throughout all the uniform discussions is the assumption that there is a vast supply of free surplus BDUs making their way out to CAP units where they are given to cadets for free.  This isn't happening at my unit and I'm curious just how many units regularly get free BDUs from an official source (not just an individuals leftovers) that are given to their unit. 

Pylon

Quote from: RiverAux on July 31, 2007, 03:14:34 AM
Floating throughout all the uniform discussions is the assumption that there is a vast supply of free surplus BDUs making their way out to CAP units where they are given to cadets for free.  This isn't happening at my unit and I'm curious just how many units regularly get free BDUs from an official source (not just an individuals leftovers) that are given to their unit. 

Our unit gets a ton of surplus uniforms from the local Air National Guard unit.  Civil Air Patrol enjoys a very close relationship with the local ANG wing, and we get a lot of material support for our Group.

When cadets enter our program they can expect to get issued from squadron supply at minimum the following:   BDU blouse and pants, Blues short-sleeve shirt, long-sleeve shirt, pants, and add'l skirt for females, and M-65 field jacket.

We have plenty of the following and also issue these often, though sometimes size availability is an issue:  boots, dress shoes, flight suits (out the wazoo), flight jackets, light weight blues jackets, N-3Bs, new-style enlisted service jackets.

The squadron tracks everything we issue on an internal form, and certain items (like all of the M-65 Field Jackets) are indelibly marked and serial numbered.  Cadets are expected to return items if they leave the program and we try to do our best to recover that stuff when they fail to renew.

Senior members also get issue stuff from squadron supply, and what they get usually depends on their preferences.  We have tons of flight suits and flight jackets, so those are usually a given for aircrew and some seniors also get blues and/or BDUs but not all.

They are responsible for funding:  nameplate, nametapes ($1/piece, no minimums), flag patch, belts, flight and BDU caps, flight cap device, etc.  If they opt for the flight suit, they fund the purchase of all the minimum insignia for wear.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

jb512

Quote from: RiverAux on July 31, 2007, 03:14:34 AM

We have a lot of used AFJROTC uniforms in our closet.

lordmonar

We have a lot of free BDU's but they all come from hand-me-downs as opposed to getting them from DRMO.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

jimmydeanno

We as well have a nice relationship with the local ANG unit.  When members of the unit have to turn in their uniforms for new one, instead of getting disposed of, they come to us.  We usually get about 100 sets every six months or so, weed out the unservicables (the maintenance guys) and take the admin pogues uniforms and are left with about 35-40 sets.  If we get a huge over abundance, we share with other squadrons. 

We don't share the really small ones though, they're hard to come by. (X-Small, XX Short and the like)
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

brasda91

I guess the key word for us is regularly.  Since we have moved in with one of the NG units, are getting BDU's occasionally.  I am trying to schedule a squadron trip to our Wing HQ for a uniform run.  I believe Wing gets uniforms on a more regular basis.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

BillB

One source of BDUs is a University AFROTC unit. They turn over used BDUs (worn less that 20 times) to DRMO, but if CAP goes to the AFROTC Detachment CC, and requests them, chances are they will get them. I picked up about 100 sets of BDUs in the past 2 years. (except for boots and covers)
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Last time we got a new shipment of BDU's was almost 2 years ago.  We don't get much restock cause we already have a good number of uniforms.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

RiverAux

So, the verdict seems to be that a significant proportion of CAP units have no regular access to surplus BDUs.  So, while many units do get them it is obviously by know means an overwhelming majority of them.  So, keep that in mind when you're proposing uniform changes based on the availability of free surplus from the AF.

BlackKnight

Most of our cadets end up having to buy their own BDUs, from boots to cap.  What we have in squadron stock is either completely the wrong size (huge), or so threadbare as to be almost unwearable.  There are no nearby USAF or ANG units, and the Army and NG have long since switched to digital camo.

Requiring new cadets to order their blues uniform on-line isn't working out too well either.  I have several cadets who have been in for 6 months now and still haven't ordered their blues.  Since NHQ didn't see fit to give Deputy Commanders on-line access to that module I can't order it for them.  Our local AFJROTC unit refuses to rotate any of their older uniforms to us (as required by USAF procedures), so we don't have much in the way of blues to issue from squadron stores.  I go down to the local army store and pay cash to get blues (especially service coats) if I see a good deal.
Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

RiverAux

Your wing web security administrator may be able to grant this access...

BlackKnight

Quote from: RiverAux on August 06, 2007, 03:29:11 AM
Your wing web security administrator may be able to grant this access...

Agreed.  Actually our squadron logistics officer has it by duty position.  Of course he isn't comfortable using a computer and only shows up once in a blue moon.   :)

I mentioned the point because the new FCU system looks good on paper but it isn't working well in the field - at least not my particular 'field'.    I know of some squadrons that apply a $100-$200 sircharge on the cadet membership fee for new cadets.  For that the cadet gets their BDUs, their blues (no hassle - squadron takes care of it), and their basic ES field gear.   I can see my squadron being forced to move in that direction also as our cadet formations become more, ahem, "diverse" in appearance.
Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

SAR-EMT1

Last time was two maybe three years ago. Pants and Shirts only, no covers and no boots.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

brasda91

Quote from: BlackKnight on August 06, 2007, 03:53:59 AM

I mentioned the point because the new FCU system looks good on paper but it isn't working well in the field - at least not my particular 'field'.    I know of some squadrons that apply a $100-$200 sircharge on the cadet membership fee for new cadets.  For that the cadet gets their BDUs, their blues (no hassle - squadron takes care of it)

We started our "pipeline" recruiting a few weeks back.  We too have had problems with cadets not ordering their Blues (no computer at home).  So for this new recruiting drive, it was specified in their application packet, to bring 2 checks, one to national for dues and another for the squadron ($50) to cover their basic uniform insignia.  I will order their insignia all together for them.   ;D
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

Quote from: brasda91 on August 07, 2007, 09:17:04 AM
Quote from: BlackKnight on August 06, 2007, 03:53:59 AM

I mentioned the point because the new FCU system looks good on paper but it isn't working well in the field - at least not my particular 'field'.    I know of some squadrons that apply a $100-$200 sircharge on the cadet membership fee for new cadets.  For that the cadet gets their BDUs, their blues (no hassle - squadron takes care of it)

We started our "pipeline" recruiting a few weeks back.  We too have had problems with cadets not ordering their Blues (no computer at home).  So for this new recruiting drive, it was specified in their application packet, to bring 2 checks, one to national for dues and another for the squadron ($50) to cover their basic uniform insignia.  I will order their insignia all together for them.   ;D

We do something similiar.  We put the order in for their free uniform and have a squadron "membership fee" that includes a set of BDU's for the cadets. 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO