New CAP Utility Uniform

Started by Nick Critelli, July 30, 2007, 11:05:47 PM

Nick Critelli

At this month's WTA  a member showed up wearing the new CAP utility uniform.  Not the Blue BDU or the blue Nomex flight suit, but the dark (almost black) blue cotton poly utility uniform that looks like a flight suit that sells for $40.

Anyone out there wear one, seen one or know about  it.  It looked pretty good. What do you all think about it.

pixelwonk

If it's cut like the flight suit, it seems like a fine uniform. 
I ordered one when they first came out and they wore horribly.  That, and it faded despite efforts to prevent that.
I hope that's not the case in the second version.

JC004

It was a strange thing to put in the uniform manual, especially because the NOMEX version was originally Smurf color.  I understand these are banned as a flight uniform option in some wings, since they look like a flight suit without the benefit of being fire retardant.  Speaking of which, I have never tried the fire retardant-ness of the flight suit.  ::puts on flight suit:: ::grabs flame thrower::  bbl...

AlphaSigOU

Two different versions floating out there - and I'm not talking about the dark blue nomex flight suit and the utility uniform.

The version sold by Vanguard is made by Tru-Spec and closely resembles a cross between the 'McPeaked' and current flight suits in dark blue, most notably the 'pecker pocket' - ahem, the knife pocket -  >:D moved to the lower right leg pocket. No upper thigh pockets as in the sage green CWU-27P flight suit. It does have side entry 'happy pockets' that the sage green flight suit does not have. Zipper hardware is brass and it includes the pen pocket for the left sleeve and pocket flap. Velcro patch for name tag in dark blue, though you can only get black Velcro in 4" X 12" strips from Vanguard; other flight suit vendors may offer dark blue Velcro. Cotton blend, cloth very similar to CWU-27P; obviously not for flight use if you're expecting flame retardant protection.

The version sold by the Hock Shop is much cheaper in price and quality. Nylon zippers abound, and the fabric is lighter in weight.

Sizing on both kinds of utility uniforms is similar to BDUs, i.e. Large Regular, unlike the sage green mil spec suits which are sized (46S, 46R, 46L). Patch wear same as in green bag.

I generally wear the utility uniform for UDF duty or other activities in which I'm not aircrew.

If you're looking for dark blue Nomex flight suits in mil-spec, the type is CWU-74P.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Nick Critelli

The old utility uniform looked horrible and fit no one.  This one looks and fits exactly like a flight suit and at $40 looks sharper than the blue BDU's.   I've always wondered why we have a "utility" uniform and blue BDU's seems a bit redundant.

Slim

I've had my second generation since they first came out.  I don't wear it often, only when the mood strikes me, or I'm in a hurry.

It wears just like a flight suit, sans Nomex protection.  The sizes seem to run a little big to me, but that's ok, I like it a little loose anyway.  My only issue is the length of the inseam.  I'm a 30" inseam; the regular size is a 31", and the short is 28".  I haven't really messed around with my sewing machine to see if I could shorten it up to look normal on me.

IMNSHO, a good addition to the uniform wardrobe, and much better than the smurf suit, which I refused to own.

On another topic, I have a nearly new sage green Nomex bag hanging in my closet.  Bought it on a whim from the supply depot in about 2001.  Having only worn it a few times, it's still like brand new.  Has anyone tried dyeing a green bag navy blue?  I'd much rather have the fire retardant properties of Nomex, but the $200+ price tag is a bit beyond my means at the moment.

Slim

RiverAux

Exactly what is its purpose?  Its not like we need jumpsuits for anything.  Seems unnecessary to me if it isn't actually a flightsuit.

Pylon

Quote from: RiverAux on July 31, 2007, 04:33:02 AM
Exactly what is its purpose?  Its not like we need jumpsuits for anything.  Seems unnecessary to me if it isn't actually a flightsuit.

It doesn't have an equivalent on the AF-style side of the house, either, does it?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

SarDragon

Quote from: Slim on July 31, 2007, 04:29:37 AM[redacted] Has anyone tried dyeing a green bag navy blue?  I'd much rather have the fire retardant properties of Nomex, but the $200+ price tag is a bit beyond my means at the moment.

Nylon doesn't dye well, and trying to make green into blue is difficult. The color is intrinsic to the thread when manufactured.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AlphaSigOU

Try these guys on for size for dark blue Nomex (CWU-73/P):

http://www.flighthelmet.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?category=PRFS&search=action&template=Templates/fgtempflst.html

Prices shown are for used - if you select better conditions, it'll cost more.

Unissued = $100.00
Excellent = $100.00
Very Good = $90.00
Good = $70.00

Better than forking over $250 to Vanguard...
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

JayT

The utility uniform was one of the best items I ever got. Esepcially with college, if I had time to go to a meeting, I could just throw it on and look decent.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Hawk200

Quote from: JThemann on July 31, 2007, 12:04:06 PM
The utility uniform was one of the best items I ever got. Esepcially with college, if I had time to go to a meeting, I could just throw it on and look decent.

Used to be able to do the same with the flightsuit, now you have to be aircrew to wear it.

Nick Critelli

The older style navy blue jumpsuit was a horrible fit and looked awful. The one I saw this week was almost black in color and was tailored to look and fit like a flight suit.  Looked pretty good. 

Why do we need the Blue BDU's if we have this kind of a utility uniform?  Don't they serve the same purpose. Frankly the new jumpsuit looked better than old wrinkled Blue BDU's

SarDragon

The BDU style uniforms are more functional in a real field environment. Having two pieces, and the ability to layer things is good. Being able to remove just the top (blouse/shirt), or just the pants, makes things easier.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

LtCol Hooligan

Quote from: SarDragon on July 31, 2007, 09:57:19 PM
The BDU style uniforms are more functional in a real field environment. Having two pieces, and the ability to layer things is good. Being able to remove just the top (blouse/shirt), or just the pants, makes things easier.
I'm sorry- please don't remove just the pants.  That is just wrong.  Maybe this is another place for the CAP shorts uniform combo to come into play.  Cut off BBDU pants with no sleeves on the BBDU shirt!!  Now tha's a uniform!!
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

Hawk200

Quote from: LtCol Hooligan on July 31, 2007, 10:11:45 PM
I'm sorry- please don't remove just the pants.  That is just wrong.  Maybe this is another place for the CAP shorts uniform combo to come into play.  Cut off BBDU pants with no sleeves on the BBDU shirt!!  Now tha's a uniform!!

Ewww! There are people I just do not want to see in shorts. No thank you.

O-Rex

If you can get your hands on a set of blue poly SAC coveralls, it's the way to go!

Had one, sold it here ;D when I got a blue nomex bag, then I got my hands on another one for next to nothing.

Some slight differences: no reinforcement at the shoulders, and no pleated back an a permanent crease in the pant legs, but it's a nice "mission base" uniform. 

. . . and it doesn't fade!

wingnut

Reminds me of the time I got permission to make short out of as pair of green Fatigue pants while stationed at Vandenberg, went all the way up to the Base Commander because I was wading out in the Ocean checking for Missile fuel, waders were unsafe in the ocean, Yes I looked good at 19 in shorts, kind of felt 'BRITISH"

Oh , I forgot I could not wear the shorts except when wading out in the ocean, funny BS  ;D

floridacyclist

Quote from: SarDragon on July 31, 2007, 09:57:19 PM
Being able to lower things is good too...especially in a field environment. I remember as a cadet in a blue smurfsuit, you practically had to get undressed to do any number higher than 1 because everything was way too bulky to miss if you weren't in a bona fide sanitary facility.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

I use the utilities myself quite often.  I lucked out and got mine at a local Army/Navy Store, they're not bad.  Although yes PT is difficult in them.  They do make it easier when you get out of work late and dont' have time to change though.  :P

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO