Deserters...what happens to them in "modern times"

Started by Major Carrales, July 29, 2007, 07:30:59 AM

JohnKachenmeister

Absent Without Leave (AWOL) in the Army and Air Force, or Unauthorized Absence (UA) if you are in the Navy or Marines.

This is a fairly low-level offense that is normally dealt with by an Article 15 action.
Another former CAP officer

wingnut

Yes all the above are correct, but what if a guy or gal has served four tours in combat and maybe wounded may have been diagnosed with PTSD (30%+ of combat veterans are). And so if this person can't take the stress and goes AWOL should they be kicked out or medically evaluated. I have friends from Camp Pen. that have had 5 tours, they are sick to death of the war.

Sgt. Savage

Every case is handled individually. If you're combat wounded or can provide otherwise mitigating evidence, you will likely be discharged for your absence but, often under honorable conditions and with VA benefits.

In todays military, if you're AWOL and missing movement to an Eminent Fire Zone or other area where combat pay is assigned, you'll likely go to Court's Marshal. If you aren't destined for the SUCK, you'll usually get processed and go home, under honorable conditions (General).

As a combat vet, I say let them go home if they want to. I sure as hell don't want him watching my back if he doesn't want to be there.

JohnKachenmeister

Absolutely.

Every case is different.  I have even found people "Not Guilty" at Article 15's, even though to accept an Article 15 one has to agree to accept the punishment imposed.

SarDragon

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on July 31, 2007, 10:31:08 PM
What is the appropriate term when one is AWOL for a shorter period of time? And  what happens to them?   Say a week to ten days...

AWOL, or the alternative - UA, unauthorized absence. The latter seems more prevalent today, although they mean the same.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JohnKachenmeister

Two terms for the same offense, Dave.  Sourt of like "Captain's Mast," "Office Hours," and "Company Punishment."  All three are terms for Article 15 actions.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RogueLeader

What does "Captain's Mast" mean? is it like an Article 15 or what?  Where does Captain's Mast come from?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Pylon

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on July 31, 2007, 10:31:08 PM
What is the appropriate term when one is AWOL for a shorter period of time? And  what happens to them?   Say a week to ten days...

AWOL.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: RogueLeader on August 01, 2007, 03:40:37 AM
What does "Captain's Mast" mean? is it like an Article 15 or what?  Where does Captain's Mast come from?

Here ya go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mast_(naval)
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

SarDragon

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on August 01, 2007, 04:28:14 AM
Quote from: RogueLeader on August 01, 2007, 03:40:37 AM

Here ya go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mast_(naval)

That was a really useful link.  :(

This one's better.

Back in sailing ship times, the captain would conduct his hearing in front of the main mast on the ship. This term has carried over to present times.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

sardak

Last August, 21 YO Marine Lance Cpl. Lance Hering was reported injured in a fall while rock climbing in the mountains near Boulder, CO.  The reporting party, his best friend, led deputies to the place where he fell.  They got there and found nothing but some blood and sign of a disturbance.  A search ensued.  On the third day, the search was called off because the best friend admitted it was hoax. 

The missing Marine had served one tour of duty in Iraq and was scheduled for another, but didn't want to go back.  Not just because of stress, but because he told his friend that he saw his fellow Marines do something bad, and the Marines are trying to cover it up.

The day of his "fall" the friend had actually taken him to the Greyhound bus depot in Denver.  This was confirmed from security videos provided by Greyhound.  The Marine has not been seen since.  His father is a Vietnam vet and his brother is an officer in the USAF.

The Marine and friend were on deferred-sentence and probation from a felony burglary charge a couple of years earlier.  They were three weeks away from the end of their probation which would have cleared their records.  The Marine was scheduled to return to Camp Pendleton about the same time.

Since they hadn't successfully completed the probation, the friend has now been convicted of a felony and has to pay $33,000 in restitution for the search.  The missing Marine has been charged with a felony and a warrant with nationwide extradition issued. 

The Marine Corps says they were not aware of the original felony charge, which would have prevented him from enlisting.  Currently they say he is on "unauthorized absence."

However, just a couple of weeks ago, acting on info from the Marines, the sheriff executed a search warrant on the missing Marines' parent's house.  They found nothing.

Mike

flyerthom

Quote from: CaptLord on July 29, 2007, 02:57:41 PM
By the way, as a confirmed Desserter, I prefer cheesecake....

Capt. Lord

You should be sentenced to DEATH BY CHOCOLATE!

Scroll to the instrument of your demise!
http://edp.org/books.htm
TC

lordmonar

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on July 31, 2007, 04:41:34 AM
Legally, Dave...

What you are alluding to is called a "Presumption."  A presumption is a substitute for evidence.  After 30 days, the serviceperson is presumed to intend to stay away forever.  He or she can rebut that presumption with evidence of intent to return, such as retaining uniforms, keeping the ID card, or contacting members of the unit, like the chaplain.

There are other cases of "presumption".  If you hold certain security clearances or are PRP any time you are AWOL the authorities automatically presume you are deserting.  We just got done dealing with a deserter.  It was down graded to AWOL, he plead and is now a civilian.  I'm not sure what else he got.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

davedove

The situation tends to differ based on the era you serve.  When I was in during the mid 80's, if a person went AWOL, he was most likely to just be processed out.  Sure, they would drop the rank first, but the thought process was "We don't want them if they don't want to be here."

I imagine it's different now, with the current operations.  They need ground troops, so they don't want to "encourage" anyone to not show up for duty.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

wingnut

SOOOOO

I have had recruiters enlisting kids as the walk out of Juvenile Hall, interesting since most of them are in for gang related offenses. Have you heard of the street Gangs being organized in Iraq??