Proposal 2: CAP Professional Development and Rank/Grade

Started by Major Carrales, July 27, 2007, 03:11:26 AM

Major Carrales

Quote from: ZigZag911 on August 02, 2007, 06:14:19 PM
1) those on the way 'out' still had skills to contribute
2) they needed to be treated with dignity (if for no other reason than that fortunes would undoubtedly swing back again!)
3) our differences were in methods & philosophies rather than goals

Some of the saddest things I have seen in the Civil Air Patrol in recent times are related to these points and are as followed in (more or less) parallel.

1) A burnt-out long time (6 plus years) squadron commander...who likely filled the position because no one wanted it for 5 years) gives up (or is forced out) and slowly fades away to nothing as if that individual had nothing to contribute.

When I assumed command, the prior commander could have been seen as "burnt out," I made it one of my chief goals to continue to include him.  It is important to let folks "recharge," and have fun in CAP.  Carryling such a heavy burden for so long compresses the "CAP soul," if you will, and can depress a person so flat they slid right under the door and are forgotten. 

2) Those that have commanded no long command for three reasons...
A) Voluntary withdrawl for personal reasons
B) Overthrown by more ambitious types
C) Wrongdoing requires removal

The "A" choice is likely the best.  A person steps "across," and returns to fill a role in the unit that does not require the pressures of command.  There is no animosity and this fellow can return to command later to prevent burnout.

The "B" is mere petty politics and seldom ends well.  Overthrowing a commander also take with that fellow his supporters...who are often well trained CAP Officers.  One often ends up with a shattered unit that must be replaced and rebuilt seriously hampering the Unit's effectiveness.  Additionally, any "overthrowers" is subject to be "overthrown" themselves since the precedent is well established.  The more "theatrical" the event, the more irony when what goeth around cometh around.

The "C" method is the worst.  It means serious harm is done.  Many units will not survive scandal.

3) Yes, all our goals should be to accomplish the MISSIONS and subsequent OBJECTIVES of CAP.  If one's goal is to "rise" to a high position or to play political games...or to disrupt things based on your philosophies...then your track leads to a different two.

Promotion/rising in the Chain-of-command should be a "side-effect" of well accomplished mission objectives...not the goal.  One should be honored and surprised by the offer of a Command...not actively seek on.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454