Main Menu

Contractors on Mil Posts

Started by RogueLeader, July 26, 2007, 09:03:49 PM

RogueLeader

Can anybody tell me what the process for getting an on-base contractor job, and what privileges come with it?  Also, if have a civilian ID, but CAP uniform on?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: RogueLeader on July 26, 2007, 09:03:49 PM
Can anybody tell me what the process for getting an on-base contractor job, and what privileges come with it?  Also, if have a civilian ID, but CAP uniform on?

You have to bid on a contract to do work that the government is looking for someone to do.  If you are the low bidder, you get the contract.  The privileges are that you get to do work for the government and get paid for it.  Since you are not a government employee, you have no other benefits.

If you have a civilian id and are authorized access to the base, it makes no difference what you wear.
Another former CAP officer

RogueLeader

Thanks, but how would I get a job with those contractors- whom already have the contracts? or how do I find out who has the contracts?  Do you know if they are listed anyplace?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

JohnKachenmeister

In some cases they hire through the base personnel office, in other cases they have their own offices.  I don't know of any master list, but you might try calling the base's contracting office.
Another former CAP officer

shorning

Quote from: RogueLeader on July 26, 2007, 09:15:48 PM
Thanks, but how would I get a job with those contractors- whom already have the contracts? or how do I find out who has the contracts?  Do you know if they are listed anyplace?

The first question is, what kind of work do you want to do?

Stonewall

It's like this.  Let's take the gate guards on base.  Let's say Wackenhut has the contract.  You apply at Wackenhut for a security gig and based on your qualifications, like a security clearance or something, you can get the job.  You'll get a base ID card and you are pretty much only allowed to gain access to the base to perform your duties.
Serving since 1987.

RogueLeader

Quote from: shorning on July 26, 2007, 09:19:58 PM
Quote from: RogueLeader on July 26, 2007, 09:15:48 PM

The first question is, what kind of work do you want to do?
Mowing the range lands, you know with the 32' pull mowers.  I love to operate tractors and equipment.  I'm also pretty decent at fixing/servicing them.  Soon, after my transcripts from here in OK make it back up to WI, I'll have my degree in Ag. Business with an emphasis in Engineering Tech.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

shorning

Quote from: RogueLeader on July 26, 2007, 09:47:39 PM
Mowing the range lands, you know with the 32' pull mowers.  I love to operate tractors and equipment.  I'm also pretty decent at fixing/servicing them.  Soon, after my transcripts from here in OK make it back up to WI, I'll have my degree in Ag. Business with an emphasis in Engineering Tech.

Then you might want to find out who does the landscaping.  A call to the contracting office probably could get you that answer.  Even better if you happen to know someone on base that could find out for you.

RogueLeader

Quote from: shorning on July 26, 2007, 09:54:04 PM

Then you might want to find out who does the landscaping.  A call to the contracting office probably could get you that answer.  Even better if you happen to know someone on base that could find out for you.
Called the office, they gave me directions, but no number- she couldn't find it.  My brother works at the Regional Corrections Facility, but he's tied up getting ready for an inspection.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Trung Si Ma

Get my number from Steven and call my cell.  We'll talk about your quals and what contractors are looking for here in Lawton.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

RogueLeader

Quote from: Trung Si Ma on July 26, 2007, 11:33:12 PM
Get my number from Steven and call my cell.  We'll talk about your quals and what contractors are looking for here in Lawton.
Wilco
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Ford73Diesel

It might not be worth it to get a contractor job just to get a CAC card so you can get on base........ JMHO  :-X

Stonewall

Quote from: markh on July 28, 2007, 02:48:20 AM
It might not be worth it to get a contractor job just to get a CAC card so you can get on base........ JMHO  :-X

Not all contractors get a CAC card.  It depends on the job and contract.  The CAC cards with the big green stripe are usually upper level contractors who may be traveling on the Government's dime, using a government computer or require access normally only granted to government employees.  Usually, however, contractors will be issued a "base ID card" that only allows you access on base and that's pretty much it.   And if you're caught using your ID card to get on base for reasons other than performing your specific job, you can lose your job or contract.  I'm sure every base is different, but that's the jist of it.

And why stop at applying for contractor jobs, why not go for a GS job?  www.usajobs.com.
Serving since 1987.

Ford73Diesel