Bands on Service Coat?

Started by RogueLeader, July 24, 2007, 03:49:21 AM

RogueLeader

What do the bands on the Service Coat stand for, and where in 39-1 is it covered?  If not in 39-1, where?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Hawk200

I'm assuming that you're talking about the service coat sleeve braid. If so, Table 2-1 (for men), Line 1 says "Senior member officers wear blue 1/2-inch  sleeve braid 3 inches from end of sleeve."

For women, it would be Table 2-2, same line.

If that's not what you're talking about, then I don't know. ???

Hawk200

The sleeve braid indicates an officer, as far as the Air Force is concerned. Enlisted personnel in the Air Force don't wear them.

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Major Carrales

It was told to me, and this could be conjecture on the part of the Lt Col who expressed this to me, that in the 18th and 19th century sleeves were cuffed and decorative braids and designs were often placed on these cuffs.  As uniforms became more "functional" and lots of adornment was taken the way of the dinosaur, the sleeve braids remained as "tradition" although there were no sleeve cuffs.

This image of Admiral Corwallis (relative of the Nemesis of Washington at Yorktown) shows some of what I am speaking of...

Another example...

it could be assumed that the modern braid officers wear is a remaining vestage of times past.  Also, much like the "tie" (which was likely a hankerchief for sweat cloth) that is a item of apparel that serves no function.  Also, epaulets and the "choker collars" we all wear "down/back" on our service coats.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

RogueLeader

And we, non Generals- yet Officers, get 1/2 inch of band; while the Gen.s get 1.5 inches, correct?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Hawk200

Quote from: RogueLeader on July 24, 2007, 04:40:41 AM
And we, non Generals- yet Officers, get 1/2 inch of band; while the Gen.s get 1.5 inches, correct?

Correct.

Grumpy

Quote from: Major Carrales on July 24, 2007, 04:37:47 AM
It was told to me, and this could be conjecture on the part of the Lt Col who expressed this to me, that in the 18th and 19th century sleeves were cuffed and decorative braids and designs were often placed on these cuffs.  As uniforms became more "functional" and lots of adornment was taken the way of the dinosaur, the sleeve braids remained as "tradition" although there were no sleeve cuffs.

This image of Admiral Corwallis (relative of the Nemesis of Washington at Yorktown) shows some of what I am speaking of...

Another example...

it could be assumed that the modern braid officers wear is a remaining vestage of times past.  Also, much like the "tie" (which was likely a hankerchief for sweat cloth) that is a item of apparel that serves no function.  Also, epaulets and the "choker collars" we all wear "down/back" on our service coats.
_________________________________________________________________________________
I love that coat.  Can you picture TP wearing it as a new Mess Dress?

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Grumpy on July 24, 2007, 05:57:17 AM
I love that coat.  Can you picture TP wearing it as a new Mess Dress?

YGBSM!  ;D I refuse to wear the 'semi-formal' TPU with black bow tie! I'd rather wear a tux (which I own) or Mess Dress (which I don't).
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

JohnKachenmeister

Army officers wear a stripe on the trousers, too.  Single stripe for officers and NCO's, double stripe for generals.  It comes from the tradition of having the leaders identified by infantry while mounted on horseback.  Artillerymen had red stripes or in some cases red pants to indicate that they were cannon-cockers, not officers.  Hence the term "Redlegs" for artillerymen. 

The Cincinnati, Ohio baseball club was originally made up of Civil War artillery veterans.  Their original name was the "Redlegs."  It was officially shortened to the "Reds" in the 1970's, although they had been called the Reds as long as I can remember.
Another former CAP officer