Main Menu

BBDU Thread

Started by RogueLeader, July 23, 2007, 02:07:17 AM

RogueLeader

Here, talk all you want of the BBDU's, please let those ideas fall here, and please let the ABU thread off the hook.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RiverAux

I think its more dangerous for us to look like SWAT team members than it is to look like members of the military. 

Hawk200

Quote from: RiverAux on July 23, 2007, 03:20:07 AM
I think its more dangerous for us to look like SWAT team members than it is to look like members of the military. 

Interesting point. Just because a military person is in uniform, doesn't mean they're armed. A person in SWAT regalia is most likely armed to the teeth when you see them.

SARMedTech

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 23, 2007, 04:07:54 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on July 23, 2007, 03:20:07 AM

Interesting point. Just because a military person is in uniform, doesn't mean they're armed. A person in SWAT regalia is most likely armed to the teeth when you see them.

Im really not being snotty here, but if they are armed to the teeth cant you tell? I see what you mean Hawk and RiverAux, but Im just wondering....I do wear blue doing TacMed but as a medical asset I only wear a sidearm...(after much deliberation some months ago). Ive worn alot of all blue in EMS but nobody has every mistaken me for anything but that largely because my uniform doesnt say SWAT or SHERIFF on the back. Is there really an problem of mis-indentification that anyone has experienced personally?
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

SARPilotNY

When I first started out 30+ years ago as an EMT, I had people ask me to pump their gas, show me their receipts as they left the store and ask me what aisle pool cleaning supplies were on.  Never had that problem when I had a firearm, now people don't understand why I can't sign off their headlight ticket. 
A uniform is in the eye of the beholder so to speak.  If your at a fire, your a firefighter, at a crime scene, your a police officer at K-Mart your security.
CAP member 30 + years SAR Pilot, GTM, Base staff

SARMedTech

Quote from: SARPilotNY on July 23, 2007, 06:42:20 AM
When I first started out 30+ years ago as an EMT, I had people ask me to pump their gas, show me their receipts as they left the store and ask me what aisle pool cleaning supplies were on.  Never had that problem when I had a firearm, now people don't understand why I can't sign off their headlight ticket. 
A uniform is in the eye of the beholder so to speak.  If your at a fire, your a firefighter, at a crime scene, your a police officer at K-Mart your security.

And 30 years ago when EMS was in its infancy, many so called EMTs were wearing white orderly suits and driving hearses. Whats your point?
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

baronet68

BBDUs for all!!!

If I can ever get the fundraising to support it, I'll buy BBDUs for EVERYONE in my squadron (cadets included) and we'll have a meeting uniform schedule something like this:

1st week - BDUs (woodland, ACU, or whatever comes down the pipe)
2nd week - PT
3rd week - BBDUs
4th week - Blues (or corporate equivalents)

Then we will have at least one meeting each month where the ENTIRE unit will be wearing the SAME uniform.  Can you picture it? Every member of a CAP squadron wearing the same uniform, at the same time, without regard to weight, grooming, or financial status.  Man, that'll be an awesome day!

Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

Stonewall

Like my reasoning or not, but BBDUs just aren't military.  Sure, the Coast Guard wears BBDUs, but that's their deal.  They're on boats on a blue ocean.  It's a uniform and they look decent in it.

For us being a para-military organzation, the auxiliary of a US military force, I think we need to wear a military uniform.  If Big Air Force doesn't want our overweight members wearing the BDU/ABUs, then I say we all go to an alternate militaryesque uniform that is also green, the Jungle Fatigues.  Distinctive but military.  They even look great with white/blue badges and such.  We all need to be in the same uniform.  BITD (Back In The Day), all members wore BDUs regardless of weight or facial hair; they just didn't wear rank.  I liked that better than having two totally different looking uniforms.

ONE CAP = ONE UNIFORM (not a blue one)
Serving since 1987.

Hawk200

Quote from: Stonewall on July 23, 2007, 03:37:35 PM
If Big Air Force doesn't want our overweight members wearing the BDU/ABUs, then I say we all go to an alternate militaryesque uniform that is also green, the Jungle Fatigues.  Distinctive but military.  They even look great with white/blue badges and such.  We all need to be in the same uniform. 

If they were the actual, real jungle fatigues, you'd get my vote. Had a set when they were still authorized. Loved those things.

Stonewall

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 23, 2007, 04:22:41 PM
If Big Air Force doesn't want our overweight members wearing the BDU/ABUs, then I say we all go to an alternate militaryesque uniform that is also green, the Jungle Fatigues.  Distinctive but military.  They even look great with white/blue badges and such.  We all need to be in the same uniform. 

If they were the actual, real jungle fatigues, you'd get my vote. Had a set when they were still authorized. Loved those things.

Actually, Proper makes a set that are practically identical.  I've got a pair of Proper fatigue pants and my old Jungle Fatigues from my cadet days and I'd be cool with wearing Proper.  YMMV.
Serving since 1987.

davedove

Like my reasoning or not, but BBDUs just aren't military.  Sure, the Coast Guard wears BBDUs, but that's their deal.  They're on boats on a blue ocean.  It's a uniform and they look decent in it.

For us being a para-military organzation, the auxiliary of a US military force, I think we need to wear a military uniform.  If Big Air Force doesn't want our overweight members wearing the BDU/ABUs, then I say we all go to an alternate militaryesque uniform that is also green, the Jungle Fatigues.  Distinctive but military.  They even look great with white/blue badges and such.  We all need to be in the same uniform.  BITD (Back In The Day), all members wore BDUs regardless of weight or facial hair; they just didn't wear rank.  I liked that better than having two totally different looking uniforms.

I don't have anything at all against the blue field uniform, and that's what I wear.  However, I would gladly adopt a new uniform if it was in the spirit of getting everyone, regardless of weight or grooming, into the same uniform.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

SARMedTech

I agree...I think ODs would be the best thing we could do. It presents a military image, is easy to get both in BDU and gear form and is practical in the aspect of being not so sun absorbing and thus cooler that BBDUs. I also think that the cut of the Jungles with angled pockets, etc somewhat mimics what the ABUs, etc are looking like. I would definately vote for them. No baseball caps though....please!
"Corpsman Up!"

RogueLeader

Quote from: baronet68 on July 23, 2007, 03:13:50 PM
BBDUs for all!!!

If I can ever get the fundraising to support it, I'll buy BBDUs for EVERYONE in my squadron
I would refuse acceptance of BBDU's. if I had orders to be in BBDU's for ANY activity, I would transfer.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

JayT

Quote from: RogueLeader on July 24, 2007, 01:57:21 AM
BBDUs for all!!!

If I can ever get the fundraising to support it, I'll buy BBDUs for EVERYONE in my squadron
I would refuse acceptance of BBDU's. if I had orders to be in BBDU's for ANY activity, I would transfer.

Why? Is looking like a soldier really that important to a CAP member?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Stonewall

It's not about looking like a soldier.  It's about presenting a military image.  Like it or not, CAP is a military auxiliary. 

The ACA Army Cadets look like soldiers.  CAP should look like the Air Force.  BBDUs would make us look like the Coast Guard.
Serving since 1987.

MIKE

Except ODUs look better than the Field Uniform/Blue BDU.  >:D
Mike Johnston

SARPilotNY

Quote from: SARMedTech on July 23, 2007, 07:33:38 AM

The point was as stated...put a uniform on a person and put him in an environment where one would expect somebody to be seen in uniform...that person could fill that persona.   Put a firefighter in a light blue shirt, dark blue pants in a gas station and see how many people thinks he's the station attendant.  Put an EMT in white pants and smock next to an ice cream cart, he's the ice cream man.  Blue BDUs at a crime scene one might think your a police officer, next to an air ambulance, flight medic, I don't think if someone saw one person on the street they would think your swat.   BTW  EMS mid 60's with DOT/KKK standards.  Say good by to the caddies and crash cars.

And 30 years ago when EMS was in its infancy, many so called EMTs were wearing white orderly suits and driving hearses. Whats your point?
CAP member 30 + years SAR Pilot, GTM, Base staff

RogueLeader

Quote from: JThemann on July 24, 2007, 02:25:25 AM
Quote from: RogueLeader on July 24, 2007, 01:57:21 AM
BBDUs for all!!!

Why? Is looking like a soldier really that important to a CAP member?
Absolutely Not!!!! I do admit that there was a time that looking like a soldier WAS important to me.  That was before I joined CAP.  Now it bothers me to see "fashion" camo- the clothes that have the camo patterns/styles that are not military looking, or to see someone wearing camo in an unprofessional  way.

I do not care for the look of the BBU.  I also happen to meet the AF Standards, and I will be [darn]ed if I don't wear what they say I'm allowed to.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RogueLeader

Quote from: SARPilotNY on July 24, 2007, 03:34:05 AM
Quote from: SARMedTech on July 23, 2007, 07:33:38 AM

The point was as stated...put a uniform on a person and put him in an environment where one would expect somebody to be seen in uniform...that person could fill that persona.   Put a firefighter in a light blue shirt, dark blue pants in a gas station and see how many people thinks he's the station attendant.  Put an EMT in white pants and smock next to an ice cream cart, he's the ice cream man.  Blue BDUs at a crime scene one might think your a police officer, next to an air ambulance, flight medic, I don't think if someone saw one person on the street they would think your swat.   BTW  EMS mid 60's with DOT/KKK standards.  Say good by to the caddies and crash cars.

So. . . . .What's your point? ???
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Sgt. Savage

I don't care what we wear. But, if it takes everyone wearing the BBDU to get us all in the same uniform, lets do it.