OK have ORANGE uniforms been seriously proposed for ES?

Started by Nomex Maximus, July 18, 2007, 07:30:16 PM

capchiro

How do these diatribes start??  I Have never heard or seen a need for a blood transfusion in the field with CAP members.  Number 2 CAP members don't have blood in the field.  Number 3, any place that is capable of doing a blood transfusion can type blood in under 10 minutes and would probably do so even if the DT had blood type on it.  Number 4 CAP Reg's do not permit blood transfusion by CAP members and I am not sure that CAP Reg's allow CAP members to bleed either.  How is that so much discussion can ensue about such a minute nonexistenet part of CAP??  Oh, and by the way, we don't do field trach's either, but, if push came to shove, I would do one.  Do I need to discuss it and confuse others on this board??  So, you can wear dog tags if your little heart desires and there is no such thing as an official CAP dog tag and hopefully if you are found unconscious without any ID or burnt beyond recognition, you will have one of your buddies around to ID you if you don't have your non-official dog tags on.  Gosh, a million and one problems with CAP and we have to keep inventing new ones??  Orange flight suits, yellow and red command scarves, promotion for to new members without waiting six months, come on guys, get with the real program..
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

SARMedTech

In my 24 and 72 gear, i have a little personal "EPIRB" like you see kevin costner slap on cuba goodings helmet after the helo crash. It flashes and lets of a little beep that sounds just like an old electronic flash and it sends out a distress becon readable on...dagnabbit i forgot again..406mhz?  Is that right. It sounds right but doesnt look right. But I spose all you vets know all about the little gadgets since youve chased enough of them.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

jimmydeanno

Okay, that's probably because they didn't want to assume liability for a misprint.  But I wouldn't consider the CAPMART catalog to be the authority on dog tags.

It's funny that it says "CAP standards" however, there are no standards...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SARMedTech

Quote from: capchiro on July 19, 2007, 07:03:59 PM
How do these diatribes start??  I Have never heard or seen a need for a blood transfusion in the field with CAP members.  Number 2 CAP members don't have blood in the field.  Number 3, any place that is capable of doing a blood transfusion can type blood in under 10 minutes and would probably do so even if the DT had blood type on it.  Number 4 CAP Reg's do not permit blood transfusion by CAP members and I am not sure that CAP Reg's allow CAP members to bleed either.  How is that so much discussion can ensue about such a minute nonexistenet part of CAP??  Oh, and by the way, we don't do field trach's either, but, if push came to shove, I would do one.  Do I need to discuss it and confuse others on this board??  So, you can wear dog tags if your little heart desires and there is no such thing as an official CAP dog tag and hopefully if you are found unconscious without any ID or burnt beyond recognition, you will have one of your buddies around to ID you if you don't have your non-official dog tags on.  Gosh, a million and one problems with CAP and we have to keep inventing new ones??  Orange flight suits, yellow and red command scarves, promotion for to new members without waiting six months, come on guys, get with the real program..

Take her easy there doc. Remember your blood pressure. Nobody said anything about transfusing in the field or having blood in the field...I think the closest thing the RM even has is called hemalogue which is a blood substitute which is universal and tricks your heart into thinking it has more blood than it does. And...by the rational you are making, theres no reason for any RM soldier or sailor or airman to have dog tags on. I said all the things you said about how little time it takes to type and cross and that I can even do it myself. As for trachostomies...Im gonna cram down a contraband combitube long before I let you cut open a cadets neck or jam a wide bore needle in his windpipe. My record time for dropping a combitube is 47 seconds...Id have it in and be bagging before you even got your Tom Mix pocket knife out of your 24 pack. Im kidding with you because i respect you very much. I think we are all a little on edge these days...maybe we are waiting for an impeachment or something. Your point about post without points is well taken, but we do still have the 1st amendment last time i checked and its still a semi free country. Doc...you are 2 of the 3 nicest people I know. Semper Vi my friend.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

Hawk200

Not unusual here to stray off topic. Back to the original question: Have orange uniforms been proposed for CAP use?

I imagine we're talking at the National level, not a wings separate use of them.

JohnKachenmeister

Wow.

Amazing the people who get upset about a regulation that doesn't even exist.

I have no idea why the blood type is on the dog tag.  I spent 11 months and 11 days in combat as a Navy hospital corpsman, and the only things I got off the dog tags were name, serial number, and if they were in really bad shape, religious preference, and that was only to rule out Roman Catholic, because that's the only chaplain that would come and do some kind of last rites.

If a guy needed blood, he would be typed and cross matched anyway.  For EACH UNIT of blood he got.  We didn't pump ketchup into people based on what some clerk stamped on a piece of tin.

We would order type and cross match for, say, 3 units.  The lab guy would type the blood sample we sent, AND mix a little of the sample with a sample from each unit that we intended to hang.  Just to make sure that the little blood thingies didn't clump together.
Another former CAP officer

Major Carrales

CAPF 12 seems to call for bloodtype.  I have never seen one rejected for not filling that out.  Still, there has to be some reason that it is there.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Capt M. Sherrod

Michael Sherrod, Capt, CAP
Professional Development Officer
Hanscom Composite Squadron, NER-MA-043

JayT

Quote from: SARMedTech on July 19, 2007, 07:18:05 PM
How do these diatribes start??  I Have never heard or seen a need for a blood transfusion in the field with CAP members.  Number 2 CAP members don't have blood in the field.  Number 3, any place that is capable of doing a blood transfusion can type blood in under 10 minutes and would probably do so even if the DT had blood type on it.  Number 4 CAP Reg's do not permit blood transfusion by CAP members and I am not sure that CAP Reg's allow CAP members to bleed either.  How is that so much discussion can ensue about such a minute nonexistenet part of CAP??  Oh, and by the way, we don't do field trach's either, but, if push came to shove, I would do one.  Do I need to discuss it and confuse others on this board??  So, you can wear dog tags if your little heart desires and there is no such thing as an official CAP dog tag and hopefully if you are found unconscious without any ID or burnt beyond recognition, you will have one of your buddies around to ID you if you don't have your non-official dog tags on.  Gosh, a million and one problems with CAP and we have to keep inventing new ones??  Orange flight suits, yellow and red command scarves, promotion for to new members without waiting six months, come on guys, get with the real program..

Take her easy there doc. Remember your blood pressure. Nobody said anything about transfusing in the field or having blood in the field...I think the closest thing the RM even has is called hemalogue which is a blood substitute which is universal and tricks your heart into thinking it has more blood than it does. And...by the rational you are making, theres no reason for any RM soldier or sailor or airman to have dog tags on. I said all the things you said about how little time it takes to type and cross and that I can even do it myself. As for trachostomies...Im gonna cram down a contraband combitube long before I let you cut open a cadets neck or jam a wide bore needle in his windpipe. My record time for dropping a combitube is 47 seconds...Id have it in and be bagging before you even got your Tom Mix pocket knife out of your 24 pack. Im kidding with you because i respect you very much. I think we are all a little on edge these days...maybe we are waiting for an impeachment or something. Your point about post without points is well taken, but we do still have the 1st amendment last time i checked and its still a semi free country. Doc...you are 2 of the 3 nicest people I know. Semper Vi my friend.

If your hospital is going to give someone units of blood based on a piece of stamped tin around a fourteen year olds neck, then you have a lot greater issues then not being able to buy tags from CAP with your blood type on it.

Honestly, there is a line between 'hardcore' and 'run away from.'
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

RogueLeader

I stand corrected on the BT.  I just remembered that CapMart wouldn't allow it, and I took it for granted.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

sardak

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 19, 2007, 06:48:50 PM
Quote from: stillamarine on July 19, 2007, 06:13:19 PM
How about one of those little rear lights for bikes? I saw one the other day and thought it would be an interesting ides to maybe put one on the back of a vest or pack. They can be set to strobe fast, slow or steady burn.

That's a good idea. Not too bright, but attention getting. Probably doesn't cost a whole lot either.
The ones for bikes are good, as are some they have for pets.  Sporting and outdoor goods stores sell small strobes also.  For less than a buck, Wal-Mart sells a 2" diameter red reflector with a red led flasher, not really a strobe, in the center, and a clip on the back.  People stick them on their hats, helmets, packs, etc.

Mike

Nomex Maximus

How do these diatribes start??  
. . .
Orange flight suits, yellow and red command scarves, promotion for to new members without waiting six months, come on guys, get with the real program..

Geeeeeeezzzzz..... I was just trying to make some fun conversation.

1) I really do think that a bright colored uniform makes more sense for emergency services and search and rescue than camoflage green.

2) I was just kidding around about the command scarf. It's not MY fault that the powers that be decided it should be an official option of our uniforms.

3) I really do care about getting a promotion if I correctly deserve it.

Relax folks, I come here for fun and to learn.

--Nomex M.

Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

Hawk200

Quote from: Nomex Maximus on July 20, 2007, 03:07:28 AM
1) I really do think that a bright colored uniform makes more sense for emergency services and search and rescue than camoflage green.

Orange vest, remember? If you're walking into the woods in just your cammies, you're wrong.

Besides, the current camo's aren't really all that great for hiding you from anything other than a casual glance. As long as you're not actively attempting to hide, it's not difficult to be found.

Quote from: Nomex Maximus on July 20, 2007, 03:07:28 AM2) I was just kidding around about the command scarf. It's not MY fault that the powers that be decided it should be an official option of our uniforms.

We're just going to blame you anyway.... >:D  ;D

Quote from: Nomex Maximus on July 20, 2007, 03:07:28 AM3) I really do care about getting a promotion if I correctly deserve it.

No reason not to. If you're deserving, you should get it. If you have to wait, don't worry, the time will be gone before you know it.

Welcome to CAP...It's fun when you get to the real stuff that matters.

SARMedTech

Quote from: JThemann on July 19, 2007, 08:36:09 PM
Quote from: SARMedTech on July 19, 2007, 07:18:05 PM

If your hospital is going to give someone units of blood based on a piece of stamped tin around a fourteen year olds neck, then you have a lot greater issues then not being able to buy tags from CAP with your blood type on it.

Honestly, there is a line between 'hardcore' and 'run away from.'

One thing that many  of you are missing is another aspect of why the BT is on the dog tags. It gives a sort of heads up. Soldier, Airman, etc goes into a CSH. One of the first things they do while a small amount of blood is being typed and crossed is to check their blood inventory against the wounded warriors type. Everyone is trying to make it out to be the do all and be all like no one checks any further than his tags. Its a starting point, another aspect of triage. Of course they dont just hang whatever type is on his tags without type and cross, but it does save some time, maybe only a couple of minutes, but if that warrior needs a transfusion, those 2 minutes may make the difference between life and death. Its the same reason that fire fighters and now some police departments their folks wear the little red nylon envelope i talked about on their belts. The fire fighter or LEO is hurt and cant talk, or has an altered mental status, the open up this little velcro pouch and out comes his medical information...allergies, pre-existing conditions, surgeries, pertinent past history and, eeh gads, blood type. Its like getting stopped by the police and getting asked for your drivers license. That LEO doesnt just take whats on your DL but it gives him a place to start when he radios for information on looks you up in his data terminal. Its really not such a hard concept. If you have someone already in shock, its a good thing to have a little jump start on his care.
"Corpsman Up!"

SARMedTech

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 20, 2007, 03:23:06 AM
Quote from: Nomex Maximus on July 20, 2007, 03:07:28 AM

Orange vest, remember? If you're walking into the woods in just your cammies, you're wrong.

Besides, the current camo's aren't really all that great for hiding you from anything other than a casual glance. As long as you're not actively attempting to hide, it's not difficult to be found.

Quote from: Nomex Maximus on July 20, 2007, 03:07:28 AM2) I was just kidding around about the command scarf. It's not MY fault that the powers that be decided it should be an official option of our uniforms.

We're just going to blame you anyway.... >:D  ;D

Quote from: Nomex Maximus on July 20, 2007, 03:07:28 AM3) I really do care about getting a promotion if I correctly deserve it.

No reason not to. If you're deserving, you should get it. If you have to wait, don't worry, the time will be gone before you know it.

Welcome to CAP...It's fun when you get to the real stuff that matters.

The real question I would like to hear answered is when the AF goes to ABUs, will the woodlands become the CAP distinctive fat and fuzzies and then we can just do away with the BBDUs.
"Corpsman Up!"

RogueLeader

When the AF goes to the ABU's, the BDU's will become corporate uniforms.  Do not know if NHQ phases out the BBDU.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Hawk200

Quote from: RogueLeader on July 20, 2007, 04:32:27 AM
When the AF goes to the ABU's, the BDU's will become corporate uniforms.  Do not know if NHQ phases out the BBDU.

Not really. The old fatigues did not become corporate because they were phased out. They become an outdated uniform. We can't wear OD fatigues anymore because they're gone. Since it was a uniform allowed by the Air Force, they still have say on their wear.

There will still be a corporate utility over the next decade. It will probably change as the BDU design is starting to fall by the wayside. The costs on them will increase because of that. There are other options that would probably be adopted, I would imagine some kind of tactical clothing (it's pretty practical for SAR purposes). The 5.11 TDU is probably an item that will receive some consideration.

RiverAux

Isnt blood type on the form 60 we're supposed to have on missions anyway?

wingnut

OH I DON"T  FEEL THE LOVE IN THIS THREAD ANYMORE :-*

SARMedTech

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 20, 2007, 06:15:18 PM
Quote from: RogueLeader on July 20, 2007, 04:32:27 AM

Not really. The old fatigues did not become corporate because they were phased out. They become an outdated uniform. We can't wear OD fatigues anymore because they're gone. Since it was a uniform allowed by the Air Force, they still have say on their wear.

There will still be a corporate utility over the next decade. It will probably change as the BDU design is starting to fall by the wayside. The costs on them will increase because of that. There are other options that would probably be adopted, I would imagine some kind of tactical clothing (it's pretty practical for SAR purposes). The 5.11 TDU is probably an item that will receive some consideration.

I love 5.11 gear. I get alot of my EMS stuff from them. I have work socks that actually have 6% rubber listed in the materials. How and why is what I think everytime i wear them.
"Corpsman Up!"