OK have ORANGE uniforms been seriously proposed for ES?

Started by Nomex Maximus, July 18, 2007, 07:30:16 PM

SARMedTech

I havent been in long enough to study the regs on the use of flares. When i was doing SAR in NM (where hikers always carry at least pencil flares despite the dry desert vegetation and almost constant fire hazard) and often some carry larger flares.  We had one search at night where we stopped the line  because I thought I heard something about 400 meters to our 12 o'clock. I popped a bright green flare several hundred feet in the air (we were using flare guns). About 20 seconds later of total silence, a red flare came up over the thin tree line to our front. We then got the park service on the radio and asked permission to set off something we nicknamed the midnight sun. A huge illuminating flare that will light up a large area in total darkness for about 5 minutes. As this thing turned night into day, we saw our lost person, broken tib-fib and all, sitting in the sand in the arroyo almost exactly 400 meters to our front. She had been leaning slightly behind a rock and was not flashlight visible. We assembled the stretcher frame, SAM splinted that leg, our corpsman started a bag of ringers lactate, fed her a power bar and carried her out about two miles to a waiting ambulance. She had been lost for three days, was extremely sunburned, which I treated with burn gel as the rest of the team carried her and dressed her burns and by the time we got her to the ambulance she was 100 percent better than when we found her. Had it not been for  the midnight sun, we could well have walked right by her because of where she was sitting. She said she thought she heard us but was afraid it might be an animal so didnt use her whistle. And we managed not to set the Jemez desert on fire because we found the smoldering remnants of our flare and doused it with the extinguisher i was carrying.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

RogueLeader

SarMedTech:
Just so you know, Blood Types are not allowed on CAP dog tags.  Not sure of the reg, but we are not supposed to have medical info on person.  I know this doesn't make sense, I know that the military DOES have BT on the DT.  That's just the regs.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

jimmydeanno

^I didn't know CAP had dog tags...never mind a reg about them. I would be interested to see that regulation.

Since when are we not supposed to have medical information about someone?  Every cadet that joins supplies their medical information, limitations, recent surgeries, insurance, etc.  They also list medications they are taking, etc. 
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JohnKachenmeister

I am not aware of ANY regulations regarding dogtags in CAP.  The only caveat I would put on about blood types is to make sure you have the right blood type.
Another former CAP officer

Smokey

I think the blood type thing comes from the old CAP Bookstore...CAPMart.  You could order dog tags from them but the instructions said " NO Blood type". 

Ahh the bookstore...I miss it . Never had a problem and they had a catalog you could hold in your hands.....I miss the Supply Depot too.....but I digress.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

Hawk200

Quote from: SARMedTech on July 19, 2007, 06:40:23 AM
Also, does anyone out there actually wear dogtags...I had been thinking of getting some made up as gifts for the members of my squadron if I could get their blood types. I know the cadets would love them. I have actually seen a set of tags in a surplus that had belonged to I dont know who that said, Type Unknown, Use Universal on the blood type line. I was thinking of getting them printed with name, CAPID, blood type and religion.

I wear my military ones, mostly just out of habit. I woiuld have blood type on one, for the simple fact that blood is probably going to be one of the first identified needs for any accident victim.

A military compliant one would read:

Last Name
First Name, Middle Initial (or First Initial, Middle Name, like mine do)
Social Security Number
Blood Type
Religious Preference

Nothing against some of the fans, but "Orthodox Jedi" is probably not going to be taken seriously as a religious preference. You may laugh, but there people in the military that actually have that on their dogtags.

Hawk200

Quote from: sardak on July 19, 2007, 09:20:50 AM
QuoteIf I were looking at night, I'd probably figure out someway to affix a Firefly to my headgear. Blowing a whistle every now and then would probably not be a bad idea either.
And your team mates will kill you for using something as bright as a Firefly.  However, wearing less intense strobes, lightsticks and other low intensity lighting is quite common in ground SAR.

Hadn't thought about the brightness factor. I would probably shut it off myself if it was that bright, I'm mildly light sensitive. Anything similar, but not as glaringly bright?

stillamarine

How about one of those little rear lights for bikes? I saw one the other day and thought it would be an interesting ides to maybe put one on the back of a vest or pack. They can be set to strobe fast, slow or steady burn.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

SARMedTech

Quote from: RogueLeader on July 19, 2007, 02:12:12 PM
SarMedTech:
Just so you know, Blood Types are not allowed on CAP dog tags.  Not sure of the reg, but we are not supposed to have medical info on person.  I know this doesn't make sense, I know that the military DOES have BT on the DT.  That's just the regs.

That has to be one of the three stupidest regulations ever. One of the primary purposes of a dog tag is to be able to keep a "serviceman" from bleeding to death when injured by having his blood type there so they dont have to waste and hour typing and cross-matching. I can tell you why they dont allow it. Its because once again, they dont want to be liable if someone has accidentally got the wrong BT on their tag and the transfusion kills them and they are afraid they would get sued. Tell ya what. I wont wear CAPs dog tags, I will wear MY dog tags and they have my blood type on them. If you could find that reg, I would greatly appreciate it. I was not even aware that CAP did DTs, I was just going to go it as a gift for the folks in my Squad. I just wont have them printed with U.S Civil Air Patrol or the members CAPID...just name, religious preference and blood type. Then they are a piece of personal battle rattle that the folks I present them too and they have nothing to do with CAP and CAP cant say anything about it. That really cranks my prop.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

Major Carrales

Sorry, but I have to say this old catch phrase en re dog tags this occasion...

"I've FALLEN and I can't get up!"

Seriously, blood types might be helpful...provided everyone knows their blood type and indicates it accurately.

Let's say Cadet X (related to "Charlie X" of Star Trek fame), wants to wear some CAP dog tags and goes to have them made.  This Cadet, or CAP Officer, doesn't know his blood type.  So, when asked, decides to "make it up."  Then, one a mission, something goes wrong and the cadet needs blood.  They look at the dog tags with the erroneous blood type and send the poor lad to St. Peter.

That might be why it is not allowed.

However, in that there is to be some sort of CAP Medical track.  One duty might be to accurately type CAP members blood and, issue official dog tags for operational purposes.

Wha'cha think?

(note: this is one of those rare times I identify a problem and provide my version of a solution.)
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

SARMedTech

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on July 19, 2007, 03:51:43 PM
I am not aware of ANY regulations regarding dogtags in CAP.  The only caveat I would put on about blood types is to make sure you have the right blood type.

Which is as simple as a visit to your family doctors lab. Just tell em you need your blood typed and they can do it in a flash, or at least relatively quickly. Sorry, but nobody is going to tell me what medical information I can wear around my neck and what I cant. I try to stand behind the regs because I believe in them, that they are there for a reason and when I signed up I said I would obey the regs. But not this one. If they want to 2b me for having my own blood type on my own dog tag, they can go right ahead...and then when the hearing happens they can all sit and stare at the floor in embarrasment while the presiding officer chews them a new one. I have been trying to be a little more careful as to what I say on these boards because I know our un-named "guests" and "invisible" folks lurking around reading posts are either at Maxwell or somewhere in Florida or both and I dont want to get booted before i ever get my first butter bar, but this has gone to far. If its true that you are forbidden by the regs to put your BT on the tags that you pay for, that is just a CYA regulation. Besides, the members of my squadron will soon be wearing these little red nylon envelopes on their BDU pistol belts that say "med info" on them and have the officers emergency info, illnesses etc printed on them. Firefighters where them on their turn out gear out here. And Yes, I guess this is a hill i am willing to die on.
"Corpsman Up!"

SarDragon

OK, let's not go berserk here. Nobody says you can't wear dog tags with your blood type on them.

The Bookstore would not, for whatever reason, sell dog tags with a blood type on them. Nothing more, nothing less.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Hawk200

Quote from: Major Carrales on July 19, 2007, 06:19:52 PMHowever, in that there is to be some sort of CAP Medical track.  One duty might be to accurately type CAP members blood and, issue official dog tags for operational purposes.

Wha'cha think?

Sounds like a pretty [darn] good idea to me. A lot of times, you have to save people from themselves. Although I don't know if we could afford to issue tags, it wouldn't hurt to have someone get their tags checked prior to attending a mission.

Although, in defense of cadets, there are a few seniors that would probably be just as stupid, and just make something up. Severely impaired genius is not entirely the realm of youth.

SARMedTech

Quote from: Major Carrales on July 19, 2007, 06:19:52 PM
Sorry, but I have to say this old catch phrase en re dog tags this occasion...

"I've FALLEN and I can't get up!"

Seriously, blood types might be helpful...provided everyone knows their blood type and indicates it accurately.

Let's say Cadet X (related to "Charlie X" of Star Trek fame), wants to wear some CAP dog tags and goes to have them made.  This Cadet, or CAP Officer, doesn't know his blood type.  So, when asked, decides to "make it up."  Then, one a mission, something goes wrong and the cadet needs blood.  They look at the dog tags with the erroneous blood type and send the poor lad to St. Peter.

That might be why it is not allowed.

However, in that there is to be some sort of CAP Medical track.  One duty might be to accurately type CAP members blood and, issue official dog tags for operational purposes.

Wha'cha think?

(note: this is one of those rare times I identify a problem and provide my version of a solution.)

I learned how to type blood when I was in med school and to get it right everytime. Ill do it for free. Besides, if you really dont know, alot of people that make them up for you wont put blood type unless you have a signed note confirming it from your physician, just like in the RM where MEPS types your blood. I bet if you went to the med center at your friendly neighborhood AFB, a med tech would be happy to do it for you. I think the AF might like to see that we are taking responsibilty for out members for a change...that we are looking out for each other. AND, if you dont know your BT, you can always put "Type Unknown- Please Type and Match" or "Type Unknown-Transfuse with Universal" or "Type Unknown-Use FFP." It will probably confuse them more when they get to the religion line on mine and it says "Ordained Theravadan Buddhist Priest--no autopsy"
"Corpsman Up!"

SARMedTech

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 19, 2007, 06:32:42 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on July 19, 2007, 06:19:52 PMHowever, in that there is to be some sort of CAP Medical track.  One duty might be to accurately type CAP members blood and, issue official dog tags for operational purposes.

Wha'cha think?

Sounds like a pretty [darn] good idea to me. A lot of times, you have to save people from themselves. Although I don't know if we could afford to issue tags, it wouldn't hurt to have someone get their tags checked prior to attending a mission.

Although, in defense of cadets, there are a few seniors that would probably be just as stupid, and just make something up. Severely impaired genius is not entirely the realm of youth.

Its just so easy...go to your countys health department and they will have your type perfectly determined in about 9 minutes after a finger stick.  Its going on my tags.
"Corpsman Up!"

SARMedTech

Quote from: SarDragon on July 19, 2007, 06:29:10 PM
OK, let's not go berserk here. Nobody says you can't wear dog tags with your blood type on them.

The Bookstore would not, for whatever reason, sell dog tags with a blood type on them. Nothing more, nothing less.

I just got riled because someone up the thread said regs say no blood type. Besides, since CAP is a corporation they are really more like bylaws than regs.
"Corpsman Up!"

Hawk200

I just ran a search through all the electronic regs downloadable from the National wesite. In all of those, there's not a reference to the term "blood type", "ID tag", "identification tag", "dog tag", etc. That's the terms I used, they don't turn anything up pertinent to dog tags.

There may have been in previous regs, but there does not seem to be now.

Major Carrales

Quote from: SARMedTech on July 19, 2007, 06:41:22 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on July 19, 2007, 06:32:42 PM

Wha'cha think?

Its just so easy...go to your countys health department and they will have your type perfectly determined in about 9 minutes after a finger stick.  Its going on my tags.

Have the Unit, or Group, Health Services Officer issue permission to have it placed on dog tags based on a competent medical source.

I don't normally wear my dog tags...but, if it is a matter of life and death...I think a small amount of regulation might not be a bad thing here.  Plus, it is a responsibility that an HSO can have that would be meaningful (until CAP ever gets into true Medics).
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Hawk200

Quote from: stillamarine on July 19, 2007, 06:13:19 PM
How about one of those little rear lights for bikes? I saw one the other day and thought it would be an interesting ides to maybe put one on the back of a vest or pack. They can be set to strobe fast, slow or steady burn.

That's a good idea. Not too bright, but attention getting. Probably doesn't cost a whole lot either.

Smokey

From Pg 10 of the last printed CAPMart catalog (2004) item 0919...Dog Tags

It reads....."No blood type or medical information can be printed. Only items that reflect the CAP standards will be allowed." 
Line 1...Name
Line 2...Soc Sec Number
Line 3 Street Address
Line 4 Sate and Zip Code
Line 5 Your Choice  (no Blood Type)

I notice on Vanguard's site it offers only blank dog tags
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.