Main Menu

Couple of questions

Started by JayT, July 12, 2007, 01:34:26 AM

Hawk200

Quote from: SARMedTech on July 13, 2007, 05:46:57 AM
I know that regs say we are allowed any civilian outerwear with the blue BDUs but if I have a blue field jacket, am I allowed to wear the same insignia, etc on it that I would on a woodland one?

Not really sure. CAPM 39-1, TABLE 4-7, LINE 8 "Outergarments" says: "A dark blue field jacket is available and authorized for wear.  If worn, the same accouterments worn on the field uniform shirt will be worn."

It would make sense to wear it in the same manner as the woodland one, but the manual isn't super clear. I don't think anyone would bother you if you did though. If I was going to use BBDU's, and wanted the matching field jacket, I would configure it that way.

JayT

The blue M65 is authorized for wear, with the same insignia as the woodland one. Also, the blue MA1 flight jacket is also authorized for wear over the blue BDUs.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

CAP Producer

AL PABON, Major, CAP

SARMedTech

Good to know. I own woodland and blue BDUs and wasnt sure what the status of putting patches, etc on the bbdu's was. Thanks for clearing it up. I may also go with the blue flight jacket as these are also sold at my handy dandy uniform shop, which sells everything from surplus to tactical gear and everything in bewtween.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

O-Rex

Quote from: SARMedTech on July 14, 2007, 10:22:50 AM
Good to know. I own woodland and blue BDUs and wasnt sure what the status of putting patches, etc on the bbdu's was. Thanks for clearing it up. I may also go with the blue flight jacket as these are also sold at my handy dandy uniform shop, which sells everything from surplus to tactical gear and everything in bewtween.

If you wear the BBDU with a blue flight jacket, wouldn't you remove the BBDU shirt?  I would think that wearing the jacket "with your tails hanging out" might look a bit unkempt.

If you've read the policy letter regarding the wear of the Woodland Gore-tex Parka, it's auth'd with the BBDU.

SARMedTech

Quote from: O-Rex on July 14, 2007, 11:22:16 PM

If you wear the BBDU with a blue flight jacket, wouldn't you remove the BBDU shirt?  I would think that wearing the jacket "with your tails hanging out" might look a bit unkempt.

If you've read the policy letter regarding the wear of the Woodland Gore-tex Parka, it's auth'd with the BBDU.

Yes of course you would remove the BDU shirt with the flight jacket, which then becomes sort of a pain since you have to haul the BDU shirt around with you (and keep it in good condition) in order to put it back on when you take the flight jacket off, since it is my understanding that t-shirts only have to be authorized for certain situations.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

brasda91

Quote from: markh on July 13, 2007, 01:51:27 AM
The BDU's are worn because they are available (for now) through DRMO.

Really.....?  ??? Is this the standard across the US because it's not in KY.  I believe all DRMO's are off limits to CAP.  Anybody heard anything different?

Tags - MIKE
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

pixelwonk

Our Wing Supply guy's middle name is DRMO.
I've PM'ed him. (Badger Bob) Maybe he'll post.

JayT

Quote from: SARMedTech on July 15, 2007, 12:13:06 AM

Yes of course you would remove the BDU shirt with the flight jacket, which then becomes sort of a pain since you have to haul the BDU shirt around with you (and keep it in good condition) in order to put it back on when you take the flight jacket off, since it is my understanding that t-shirts only have to be authorized for certain situations.

Can you cite that?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Ford73Diesel

Opps, I forgot they cut off DRMO supplies. Either way, they are available. I know a few squadrons that have large surpluses.

SARMedTech

Quote from: JThemann on July 15, 2007, 10:52:08 PM
Quote from: SARMedTech on July 15, 2007, 12:13:06 AM

Can you cite that?

Actually I cant. I was my understanding through my unit that a t-shirt is an undergarment and a BDU is a "working" uniform and that authorization (though I do not know at what level) is required to wear a t-shirt without the BDU blouse. I havent had need to test this yet and I would assume that authorization can be made by the Squadron Commander or whoever authorizes the "uniform of the day."
"Corpsman Up!"

badger bob

Quote from: brasda91 on July 15, 2007, 09:09:52 PM
Quote from: markh on July 13, 2007, 01:51:27 AM
The BDU's are worn because they are available (for now) through DRMO.

Really.....?  ??? Is this the standard across the US because it's not in KY.  I believe all DRMO's are off limits to CAP.  Anybody heard anything different?

Tags - MIKE

DRMO's are not off limits to CAP, but they require that CAP follow procedures.

The Wisconsin Wing has received several hundred requisitions from the DRMO in the last couple years including

Ground Team Gear including tents, sleeping bags, back packs, web belts, canteens, boots
AF Nomex flight suits
Generators
Pentium IV desktop computers
copiers
Cisco Routers
GP small tents
Audio visual equipment

Anyone attending Blue Beret or other National Activates at Oshkosh will eat from a half semiload of DRMO kitchen equipment received this last winter.

Please review CAPR 67-1

There are procedures for withdrawls from the DRMO. All withdrawls are now approved by CAP NHQ Logistics, your state CAP-USAF liaison officer and your (regional) responsible CAP-USAF logistics officer.

We have been working on a on-line requisition system for withdrawls from the DRMO. It is available in several regions and soon will be rolled out nationally- but your wing must request to receive.

The WI Wing was the pilot for the on-line system. I am happy to answer questions if I can help.
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
National Volunteer Logistics Officer- Retired
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320

badger bob

Quote from: markh on July 15, 2007, 10:53:06 PM
Opps, I forgot they cut off DRMO supplies. Either way, they are available. I know a few squadrons that have large surpluses.

They have not cut-off DRMO supplies, but combat uniforms are not currently available to any non-combat programs including CAP, ROTC, JROTC, or Law Enforcement Assistance programs. Stay tuned, CAP-USAF and NHQ-CAP are working on it.
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320

Ford73Diesel

Quote from: badger bob on July 16, 2007, 02:47:24 AM
Quote from: markh on July 15, 2007, 10:53:06 PM

They have not cut-off DRMO supplies, but combat uniforms are not currently available to any non-combat programs including CAP, ROTC, JROTC, or Law Enforcement Assistance programs. Stay tuned, CAP-USAF and NHQ-CAP are working on it.

Yup, but i was refering to the DRMO in terms of BDU's.

RogueLeader

The way it's worded suggested that we were cut off completely.  When I herd that, I also believed that CAP was completely out in the cold. So to speak.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

badger bob

Quote from: RogueLeader on July 16, 2007, 02:59:53 AM
The way it's worded suggested that we were cut off completely.  When I herd that, I also believed that CAP was completely out in the cold. So to speak.

Currently, combat uniforms are not available- I know I doesn't make any sense. Our guys in the Gulf probably will know that some guy showing up at the gate in Woodland BDU's probably is not legit.

AF style uniforms are available, Cadet equipment (except BDUs) is available;  ES Ground team equipment is available, and administrative type equipment is available
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320

SARMedTech

Quote from: badger bob on July 16, 2007, 03:34:09 AM

Currently, combat uniforms are not available- I know I doesn't make any sense. Our guys in the Gulf probably will know that some guy showing up at the gate in Woodland BDU's probably is not legit.

AF style uniforms are available, Cadet equipment (except BDUs) is available;  ES Ground team equipment is available, and administrative type equipment is available

So basically we have to find another source for woodland BDUs? I just bought a couple of ripstop sets at a local uniform shop where I get all my EMS/ES stuff. I know there has been alot of talk about the BDUs not being available, but what is the actual reason. I guess I am not in the loop enough yet to know why we cant get them, at least through channels. Also, since we are talking uniforms...I have an International Yellow waist length windbreaker with "MEDICAL" printed on the back of it. It was given to me during a week long seminar on vehicle extrication, mass casuality, etc. As I say, it is International Yellow (that neat lime green slightly yellow color). As it is meant to stand out, can I wear it in place of the blaze orange on SARs and SARexs or would it be a problem because of the reflective tape "MEDICAL" printed on the back or in the alternative are we required to wear the safety orange vests? Just curious. I get to wear it enough that I dont NEED to wear it in CAP, just wondered if it would be allowed as my high visibility gear. Heck, if I had my pack on, you wouldnt even see the printing on the back.
"Corpsman Up!"

badger bob

Quote from: SARMedTech on July 16, 2007, 04:00:56 AM
Quote from: badger bob on July 16, 2007, 03:34:09 AM

So basically we have to find another source for woodland BDUs? I just bought a couple of ripstop sets at a local uniform shop where I get all my EMS/ES stuff. I know there has been alot of talk about the BDUs not being available, but what is the actual reason. I guess I am not in the loop enough yet to know why we cant get them, at least through channels. Also, since we are talking uniforms...I have an International Yellow waist length windbreaker with "MEDICAL" printed on the back of it. It was given to me during a week long seminar on vehicle extrication, mass causality, etc. As I say, it is International Yellow (that neat lime green slightly yellow color). As it is meant to stand out, can I wear it in place of the blaze orange on SARs and SARexs or would it be a problem because of the reflective tape "MEDICAL" printed on the back or in the alternative are we required to wear the safety orange vests? Just curious. I get to wear it enough that I don't NEED to wear it in CAP, just wondered if it would be allowed as my high visibility gear. Heck, if I had my pack on, you wouldn't even see the printing on the back.

Vanguard, Hock Shop, Army and Air Force Post Exchanges, and your local Army Surplus stores have BDUs available.

Civil Air Patrol members have permission to purchase CAP approved uniforms from base post exchanges, but entry to the base may need clearance through the base commander.

Many squadrons may have BDUs received before the January freeze. If your local squadron does not, check with nearby squadrons or your wing supply.
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320

RogueLeader

What I have done in the past is take a copy of the reg, don't recall what it is off the top of my head, but show it to the guard, and say: "i'm Lt. Seng with the Civil Air Patrol <show ID> and I'm going to the PX for <insert reason> and here is my authorization regulation <show reg>."
Some guards have called it in tomake sure the reg is correct, then they inspect my car, and they wish me a good day.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Ford73Diesel

Quote from: RogueLeader on July 16, 2007, 01:07:34 PM
What I have done in the past is take a copy of the reg, don't recall what it is off the top of my head, but show it to the guard, and say: "i'm Lt. Seng with the Civil Air Patrol <show ID> and I'm going to the PX for <insert reason> and here is my authorization regulation <show reg>."
Some guards have called it in tomake sure the reg is correct, then they inspect my car, and they wish me a good day.

I don't know if showing them a CAP reg will work with all bases. I could see NHQ creating a reg authorizing acces to all bases now.... ::)

At WPAFB, the part that has clothing sales is more secure than the part where the CAP building is. You need a CAC card to get on the part with the clothing sales store or need to clear it ahead of time (from my experience)