Main Menu

V-necks

Started by Flying Pig, July 11, 2007, 07:36:25 AM

Flying Pig

Why in the world would anyone ever mandate the wear of V-neck t-shirts in uniform. 

Father forgive them for they know not what the do........

shorning

Why do I want to see your undergarments?

Stonewall

Quote from: Flying Pig on July 11, 2007, 07:36:25 AM
Why in the world would anyone ever mandate the wear of V-neck t-shirts in uniform. 

Because General McPeak's wife liked to see chest hair?  I don't know but they're rediculously stupid.
Serving since 1987.

SarDragon

I like my v-necks.  :)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SARMedTech

V-Necks look silly/unfinished with a uniform with an open neck. We see them with BDUs, why not with the service uniform with an open collar. With a v-neck it looks like you ran out out of the house and forgot to finish getting dressed. Makes me cringe every time I see it. My biological father was in the USAF during the VietNam era and they had a trick of turning their crew neck t-shirts around backward under fatigues so they would be tight. Adopted father (read as Dad) did the same thing with his Sheriffs department uniforms for 37 years. In every EMS department or agency Ive been in so far, we have been required to wear visible crew neck t-shirts under an open collar and it was pounded in to me to do it as a young man to the extent that to this day, I wont wear an open collar without a visible t-shirt. Goes right along with not going out unshaven if Im not growing a beard. I hate wearing my blues now with an open neck. Makes me look like a tourist.

PS- How many of you actually wear shirt stays?
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

JayT

I do, every time I'm in service uniform.

Who cares what other organizations do? If people don't like the v neck shirt, then they can wear a tie. Or, join the Naval Sea Cadets Corps.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

SARMedTech

Theres an open mind for ya!  ;)
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

JayT

Naw, I do think that the crew neck looks better.

But in terms of uniform issues, it's not. Thats an Air Force call from 15 years ago, not a CAP screw up.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

SARMedTech

Quote from: JThemann on July 11, 2007, 11:31:21 AM
Naw, I do think that the crew neck looks better.

But in terms of uniform issues, it's not. Thats an Air Force call from 15 years ago, not a CAP screw up.

I was just messing with you in case you were NHQ staff in disguise.  ;)
"Corpsman Up!"

Major Carrales

At first I was not even aware of what a "V-neck" was and, since I had never seen CAPM 39-1 and only followed the instructions and leads of long time squadron members.  That was 1998.

Now, I simply have replaced all my crew necks with V necks so it is a moot issue.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Eclipse

Quote from: Major Carrales on July 11, 2007, 07:43:51 PM
At first I was not even aware of what a "V-neck" was and, since I had never seen CAPM 39-1 and only followed the instructions and leads of long time squadron members.  That was 1998.

Now, I simply have replaced all my crew necks with V necks so it is a moot issue.

A pair of scissors can serve to correct the issue in a pinch as well.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: SARMedTech on July 11, 2007, 11:11:00 AM
V-Necks look silly/unfinished with a uniform with an open neck. We see them with BDUs, why not with the service uniform with an open collar. With a v-neck it looks like you ran out out of the house and forgot to finish getting dressed. Makes me cringe every time I see it. My biological father was in the USAF during the VietNam era and they had a trick of turning their crew neck t-shirts around backward under fatigues so they would be tight. Adopted father (read as Dad) did the same thing with his Sheriffs department uniforms for 37 years. In every EMS department or agency Ive been in so far, we have been required to wear visible crew neck t-shirts under an open collar and it was pounded in to me to do it as a young man to the extent that to this day, I wont wear an open collar without a visible t-shirt. Goes right along with not going out unshaven if Im not growing a beard. I hate wearing my blues now with an open neck. Makes me look like a tourist.

PS- How many of you actually wear shirt stays?

Well, my dad was career Navy, and I carry similar baggage as you. I have elected to discard some of it, though, and wear v-necks (albeit all year round) except when crew necks are mandated, or when safety issues suggest the additional protection.

Shirt stays, as in the elastic thingies that hook your shirt tail to your sox? I wear them with my aviator shirt combination.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RogueLeader

I was wondering about those, the shirt stays.  Do they really work/ how much do they cost?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SarDragon

Quote from: RogueLeader on July 11, 2007, 09:32:43 PM
I was wondering about those, the shirt stays.  Do they really work/ how much do they cost?

My shirt garters, as named on the package, cost me $5 at the local mil uni shop, and IIRC, are also available from Vanguard. Thy feel a little strange to wear at first, and you'll need to play around with the locations where you clip them, but my shirt stayed tucked in all weekend while I was instructing at an SLS, and it looked really sharp.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on July 11, 2007, 09:37:22 PM
Quote from: RogueLeader on July 11, 2007, 09:32:43 PM

My shirt garters, as named on the package, cost me $5 at the local mil uni shop, and IIRC, are also available from Vanguard. Thy feel a little strange to wear at first, and you'll need to play around with the locations where you clip them, but my shirt stayed tucked in all weekend while I was instructing at an SLS, and it looked really sharp.

I wouldn't go out of the house in uniform without them, always wear 4.

"That Others May Zoom"

Al Sayre

Dave, have you noticed that the newer ones are made with much crappier materials?

I had one set that lasted about 4 yr WIWAS.  I've gone through 2 sets in the last year and a half.  The button tabs keep pulling out of the clasps and the clasps themselves seem to bend awfully easy.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

JayT

I had from one when I first joined about four years ago, and they have held up through both bi montly CAP wear and weekly AFJROTC wear for three of those years.

DrDave

Regarding shirt stays --

Doesn't just tucking your shirt into your underwear do the same thing?

Works for me.
Dr. Dave
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."

MIKE

Quote from: DrDave on July 11, 2007, 10:48:24 PM

Ewwww.
Mike Johnston

SARMedTech

Quote from: MIKE on July 11, 2007, 11:31:02 PM
Quote from: DrDave on July 11, 2007, 10:48:24 PM

Ewwww.

Ditto.
"Corpsman Up!"