Main Menu

August National Board

Started by RiverAux, July 04, 2007, 04:31:32 AM

RiverAux

Well, I figured I would get a jump on starting this thread with one of my almost now traditional comments -- where is the agenda for this thing?  I would hope it would be up by now....

Major Carrales

Quote from: RiverAux on July 04, 2007, 04:31:32 AM
Well, I figured I would get a jump on starting this thread with one of my almost now traditional comments -- where is the agenda for this thing?  I would hope it would be up by now....

I'm going to the PAO Academy in Atlanta, Georgia.  This will be my first National Level Activity.  I am excited.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

flyguy06

Quote from: Major Carrales on July 04, 2007, 05:08:53 AM

I'm going to the PAO Academy in Atlanta, Georgia.  This will be my first National Level Activity.  I am excited.

I cant wait to meet you

Capt M. Sherrod

I'll be in the Atlanta area at the same time, however, attending a different convention in town.  I am still looking at the possibility of dividing my time between the two.  I'd like to see the schedule with firm times for the learning labs so I can make a final decision.
Michael Sherrod, Capt, CAP
Professional Development Officer
Hanscom Composite Squadron, NER-MA-043

flyguy06

Quote from: m_e_sherrod on July 04, 2007, 09:06:16 PM
I'll be in the Atlanta area at the same time, however, attending a different convention in town.  I am still looking at the possibility of dividing my time between the two.  I'd like to see the schedule with firm times for the learning labs so I can make a final decision.

What convention will you be attending in my town

Laplace

where is the agenda for this thing?  I would hope it would be up by now....

Just saw it was posted on NHQ website under National Board registration, etc.  Individual labs are listed, and so are lab times; but no listing showing which labs will be held at what time  ::)

I tried to book room on line and could only get CAP room rate on Friday 8/10 through Sun 8/12.  I guess I could call the hotel directly, but will probably stay at another hotel as family may come for vacation.

Laplace

Quote from: lasupplyguy on July 07, 2007, 08:22:39 PM
I tried to book room on line and could only get CAP room rate on Friday 8/10 through Sun 8/12.  I guess I could call the hotel directly, but will probably stay at another hotel as family may come for vacation.

Well.... I called the Conference Hotel and was told that CAP rate was good for Wed 8/8, Fri 8/10 and Sat 8/11 (No Mon, Tues or Thurs) ???  This screws up those attending the Tues/Wed pre-conferences as well those just going to the main event.

Of those going, where are y'all staying?

stillamarine

Quote from: lasupplyguy on July 08, 2007, 01:18:30 AM

Well.... I called the Conference Hotel and was told that CAP rate was good for Wed 8/8, Fri 8/10 and Sat 8/11 (No Mon, Tues or Thurs) ???  This screws up those attending the Tues/Wed pre-conferences as well those just going to the main event.

Of those going, where are y'all staying?

I myself am going to the PAO Academy online not staying for the main event. I have no idea where the missus and I will stay, if you find something let me know!
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

RiverAux

where is the agenda for this thing?  I would hope it would be up by now....

Just saw it was posted on NHQ website under National Board registration, etc.  Individual labs are listed, and so are lab times; but no listing showing which labs will be held at what time  ::)

For those like me having a hard time finding the page he was referring to it is here: http://www.cap.gov/visitors//events/2007_cap_annual_conference/ and it does not actually have the agenda for the national board meeting itself -- the "learning labs" are a separate thing entirely.  Actually, I'm a little surprised at all they're planning on doing...

I'm also more than a little surprised to see a lab on MOUs since the AF lawyers pretty much threw the concept of the local MOU out the window 5-6 years ago.  Supposedly this will focus on wing-level MOUs, but I was under the very distinct impression that even those were frowned on pretty severely...I got the feeling that NHQ would rather not make a committment to anything and just wanted to make case-by-case decisions based on requests sent to the NOC. 

RiverAux

Still no meeting agenda posted in e-services....I wonder if there is an official requirement for having the agendas publically available and if so, exactly how far ahead of the meeting do they have to be posted?  Oh well, given that they were extremely late on posting minutes after the meeting last time, I suppose we shouldn't be surprised.

I wonder....keep the agenda secret as long as possible and then delay posting the results as long as possible.....sounds like a strategy to me.... whats that pulling up in front of my house??? 

BillB

Please note:  River Aux will not be posting for a period of time. He was last seen being carried to a black van with Alabama license plates.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

DrDave

I, too, will be attending the PAO Academy on Tuesday and Wednesday.  Looking forward to meeting all the other PAO types online here at CAPtalk.

Dr. Dave
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."

Sgt. Savage

I kinda wonder if the agenda really matters. Look at the march NB... 90% of what they passed has yet to be implemented. Can't they just teleconference and save the organization a few thousand dollars? It's not like we couldn't use the money.

RiverAux

Well, its not so much the "when", but the "what" I care about.  Any time you make a policy or regulation change it will take a while to actually implement so the fact that some stuff approved in May hasn't been completely taken care of a few months later doesn't worry me.

However, if CAP membership is to be afforded the opportunity to express our thoughts on matters of discussion before the board to our own leadership or the national leadership (remember MG Pineda's offer in a recent Volunteer), then we need to be able to see the agenda for a reasonable period of time before the meeting. 

RiverAux

Well, I suppose the August NB won't accomplish a lot even if everything proposed is approved, but on the other hand, like Congress, I'm starting to think the less they do, the better.

I think its silly to keep proposing these terms extensions which have been shot down several times.

Regarding the National ES competition -- I hope this just won't be an air event like the last regional SARCOMP I went to.  Lets spend some money to send in our best ground teams as well.  Equal time for air and ground and I'll be on board.  If its just another event for the flying club boys, I'm not in favor. 

Cecil DP

The Agenda is listed under the National Conference link on the CAP website. I was appaled that there are 3 agenda items #4, 5, 6 to allow the terms of the National Commander, Region Commanders, and Wing Commanders. to be extended to a max of 6 years each. Why not just have a National Commander for life?
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

TankerT

Well... TP has been suspended for 180 days... so... who knows where these agenda items will go...

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

Smokey

TP has been suspended ?????

What's the story???
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

TankerT

The Board of Governors suspended him at a special meeting called to review a report of investigation that they were provided with.  (I assume by the IG.)  He is suspended for up to 180 days while the Board determines what action to take.  That's all the info I have.  This was sent out by NHQ this morning.

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

ColonelJack

Quote from: TankerT on August 06, 2007, 04:44:54 PM
Well... TP has been suspended for 180 days... so... who knows where these agenda items will go...

Is this legit?  (Not that I am questioning you, TankerT, just wondering about the veracity of the story.)

Could you post what NHQ sent?

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

captrncap

Quote from: TankerT on August 06, 2007, 04:54:36 PM
The Board of Governors suspended him at a special meeting called to review a report of investigation that they were provided with.  (I assume by the IG.)  He is suspended for up to 180 days while the Board determines what action to take.  That's all the info I have.  This was sent out by NHQ this morning.

How and to who did they send this out?

Smokey

New post on this ....See the post by Seattle Sarge for details
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

Pylon

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

RiverAux

Official press release on CAP news online: U.S.Civil Air Patrol's Board of Governors suspends CAP national commander

Fixed link.  There is already a thread for this - MIKE

RiverAux

Has anyone else seen any announcements about this one being on the internet?  I'm almost willing to take off work to watch...

MIKE

I haven't, but we will likely do another play by play if there is one... Provided it doesn't get started too early in the AM.
Mike Johnston

ColonelJack

Mike -- see my post about the proposed "walkout" of members of the NB by those put into place by Gen. Pineda.  (You'll note the citation for it too, but don't smack me around too much.)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Pylon

Quote from: MIKE on August 07, 2007, 09:43:28 PM
I haven't, but we will likely do another play by play if there is one... Provided it doesn't get started too early in the AM.

Any volunteers to watch the video stream and post a play-by-play?  I did it last time, but don't think I can take that much time out of my work-day this time around.

MIKE

I can probably get most of it.
Mike Johnston

JC004

Quote from: Pylon on August 07, 2007, 11:38:28 PM
Quote from: MIKE on August 07, 2007, 09:43:28 PM

Any volunteers to watch the video stream and post a play-by-play?  I did it last time, but don't think I can take that much time out of my work-day this time around.

I can try to do Thursday, but I've had problems before with the stream

LtCol White

I hope they have a good sound system so we don't miss out on the good stuff. Sound in the past has been kinda crappy as many of you know.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Every time I try I can't get it.  My system at the office I think has a block or something for streams.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

RiverAux

My question was are we even sure there will be a video stream this time?  The last 3-4 meetings there have been announcements to the entire membership saying that the stream was going to take place.  Nothing this time that I'm aware of..

LtCol White

Quote from: RiverAux on August 08, 2007, 02:43:07 AM
My question was are we even sure there will be a video stream this time?  The last 3-4 meetings there have been announcements to the entire membership saying that the stream was going to take place.  Nothing this time that I'm aware of..

If this keeps up, the stream is gonna be on CNN and not on the web since CNN is right in downtown Atl.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Pylon

Well, whomever starts watching first, please create a new "August National Boards Play-by-Play" thread and post your observations from the stream there.   I appreciate everybody's willingness to watch the stream and keep the rest of us abreast of the happenings at this historic event.  :)

If you find yourself watching the stream, please by all means, post what you see on CAPTalk, even if some of it is being duplicated by other posters.

MIKE

Does the actual meeting start tomorrow or Thursday?
Mike Johnston

JC004

Quote from: Pylon on August 08, 2007, 03:29:23 AM
Well, whomever starts watching first, please create a new "August National Boards Play-by-Play" thread and post your observations from the stream there.   I appreciate everybody's willingness to watch the stream and keep the rest of us abreast of the happenings at this historic event.  :)

If you find yourself watching the stream, please by all means, post what you see on CAPTalk, even if some of it is being duplicated by other posters.

I'll do what I can, if it'll stream for me.  Thanks for encouraging these because it sometimes it takes a good while for the NB word to get to the field.  These videos have helped.

JC004

arajca

The NB starts Thursday. If someone can watch it, the Comm Managers' meeting is tomorrow 0800-1700 EDT.

Pylon

Quote from: arajca on August 08, 2007, 03:33:12 AM
The NB starts Thursday. If someone can watch it, the Comm Managers' meeting is tomorrow 0800-1700 EDT.

If everybody we know watches and as many CAPTalk members post their blow-by-blow accounts, even if they overlap, we'll be great.  That would be the ideal situation.  I hope everyone will consider posting what they see on the stream.

West_Coast_Guy

Where can I find instructions for how to get the video stream?

JC004

Quote from: West_Coast_Guy on August 08, 2007, 05:17:42 AM
Where can I find instructions for how to get the video stream?

There will probably be a link on the main page, right where it says the national CC news, and it'll go here:  http://www.capchannel.com/

LtCol White

I have no doubt that anyone with means to watch will be doing so and posting away. I know I will.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

I'd love it if people could although I won't be able to keep up to date on Friday.  I'm leaving for our Encampment that day.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO