Parents as Senior Members?

Started by OldGuy, June 06, 2018, 07:18:07 AM

OldGuy

Your thoughts? Are there stats on national averages? Are there units that target parents for recruiting? Best practices in Recruiting and Retention?

THRAWN

That's how a fair number of SMs get into the program.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

TheSkyHornet

I have several seniors on staff that are parents of cadets. They're great people to work with. I've seen seniors stay around after their cadets leave the program; some even work better without their cadets in.

I've also worked alongside some other great senior members who came into CAP because of the Cadet Program---their own cadets being in it. Some have stayed in and around the Cadet Program work area; others have spread into a variety of ES and Air Ops roles, as well as administrative roles.

You have to tread lightly with jumping to recruit the senior member parents. What is the level of involvement they want to have? Are there any signs that it will be a conflict with their cadet in the program? Is the cadet even comfortable with the parent getting involved? Just be sure to establish a dynamic that avoids any bias (e.g., parents in review boards; crazy mom who constantly demands that her son be picked for a role). And try to employ the senior in a role that benefits the unit, not the cadet, maybe even so much as to keep them apart as much as possible. Let parenting stay at home and not at the CAP meeting.

Remember: At the meeting, they aren't mom/dad. They're "Sir/Ma'am." If they want to chaperone, let them become a sponsor member. If they want to build up the unit and really contribute, sit down and discuss the different roles and opportunities you have to offer as well as what they bring to the table other than just being a parent.

J2H

I have been an SM in a Sqdn without my kid, now she's in the same Sqdn but we don't interact at meetings.  I help with the Training Flight and she does her thing.
SSgt Jeffrey Hughes, Squadron NCO
Glenn L. Martin Composite Squadron MD-031

RiChArD7032

I've seen it both ways.  Back in my cadet days...there was clear favoritism between the Squadron Commander and his children in the program. I didn't let it affect me but it did impact others.  And I've seen good examples as mentioned above.  If my daughter choses to join and if it's feasible, I would rather her join a separate squadron than the one I would be working with.  Let her do her thing and I'll help from the shadows. 

SarDragon

In my first squadron, back in the '60s, when there were no term limits on commanders, the Major was the CC, his Captain wife was Admin/Personnel, and eventually, their two boys joined the unit. There was no favoritism that I could see, and the unit, for the most part, was one big happy family. Mr and Mrs Commander were like a second set of parents for several of us, and we were always welcome over at their house.
Some units, like mine, work well. OTOH, I have seen others where the "family" thing ended up being horrid.

YMMV. Tempus fugit. Notary sojac.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret