Main Menu

Grandfathered Promotions

Started by MSG Mac, February 26, 2018, 05:16:48 AM

MSG Mac

A reminder that those senior Members who achieved their current grade on or before 11 Aug 2014 must complete the old requirements for promotion by 11 Aug 2018

1Lt-Captain.        Level II
Captain to Major  Level III
Major to Lt Col    Level IV

11 Aug 2018 is the deadline to actually complete the training, have it posted to your record, and have the promotion approved at National HQ.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

West MI-CAP-Ret

It took awhile, but I finally got my grade of Major last November.  I was really pushing to get the grade before August (which I'll only wear once, coming this April when I retire).  Wife and parents will be there.  Phew, what a ride! :)
MAJ DAVID J. D'ARCY, CAP (Ret) 8 Apr 2018 (1974-1982, 1988-2018)
A former member of:
West Michigan Group MI-703,
Hudsonville Cadet Sqdron MI-135 (name changed to Park Township, Al Johnson Cadet Sqdrn)
Lakeshore Cadet Sqdrn MI-119
Van Dyke Cadet Sqdrn, MI-117
Phoenix Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-065 (inactive)
Novi Sixgate Cadet Sqdrn (inactive), MI-068
Inkster Cherry Hill Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-283 (inactive)

Eclipse

CAPR 35-5

Released in 2014
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=19182.msg352623#msg352623

Revised again in 2016
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=21623.msg396201#msg396201

The 1-click door closes in 4 months, at which point the duty performance requirements for
promotion for all members will increase to the below.

Promotion To             Minimum Skill Level                            Time-In-Grade
2d Lt                            Level I                                      6 months as a member
1st Lt                           Level II                                     18 months as 2d Lt or TFO (or combination thereof)
Captain                        Level III                                    30 months as 1st Lt or SFO (or combination thereof)
Major                           Level IV                                     4 years as Captain
Lt Col                           Level V                                      5 years as Major

Grandfathered 1-Ups must be submitted by 11 Aug 2018.  There's no indication how a promotion
submitted on 11 Aug that takes 6 months to float the various board will be handled, but
it's probably not a good idea to wait and find out.

As discussed any number of times, the biggest pinch point for most members to Lt Col is RSC,
which requires a week of time and has limited seats.  The PME many were counting
on was lost as an option around the same time the new requirements were instituted due to prerequisites.

This changed extends(ed) the minimum TIG for Lt Col to 13 years from the previous 10, and
also included a new pinch point of Level V, which requires NSC.  That second point is what will be the
real limiting factor in new Lt Cols as while there are a number of RSCs (are there actually 8?), there's only
one NSC, which takes a fairly small group each year. 

I'm sure there are any number of members unaware of the change, who will be caught off-guard when the
door closes, but so warned, take action.

"That Others May Zoom"

MSG Mac

I have been pushing this and have several Majors who will be eligible assuming they get the RSC and CAPF 24 in by the cutoff.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

GroundHawg

Someone lost my paperwork for my Senior Level, and I am now in a [darn] panic to get it re-written and submitted on time. I have all other requirements... Pray for me!

SarDragon

I merged the two topics. Let's try to keep it that way.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Mela_007

Where would I find the cutoff info, besides here at CAP Talk?  I have a couple Captains that would fall under this clause.
"Worry is the Darkroom in which negatives develop."  -Unknown

Mela_007

Never mind...it's right there in 35-5 as you mentioned at the top of your post Eclipse.  I need to light a small fire under a couple of my senior members.
"Worry is the Darkroom in which negatives develop."  -Unknown

kcebnaes

Does anyone happen to have a copy of the old CAPR 35-5 at all?
Sean Beck, Maj, CAP
Great Lakes Region sUAS Officer
Various Other Thingsā„¢

Vegas1972

Quote from: kcebnaes on April 24, 2018, 01:11:10 PM

If you pm me an email address, I have a pdf copy I could send you.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.", Sgt. John M. Stryker.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Vegas1972

Quote from: Eclipse on April 24, 2018, 02:15:34 PM

https://www.ncwgcap.org/UserFiles/File/PD/R35-5_Appointments_and_Promotions.pdf

I have the 1 Jan 2014 version as well.   I have no idea how much is different between that one and the 2008 version that Eclipse posted.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.", Sgt. John M. Stryker.

SarDragon

Quote from: Vegas1972 on April 24, 2018, 02:18:14 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on April 24, 2018, 02:15:34 PM

https://www.ncwgcap.org/UserFiles/File/PD/R35-5_Appointments_and_Promotions.pdf

I have the 1 Jan 2014 version as well.   I have no idea how much is different between that one and the 2008 version that Eclipse posted.

I have copies from:
16 Mar 2010, which superseded 21 August 2008
27 Dec 2012
1 Jan 2014
11 AUGUST 2014 CORRECTED COPY INCLUDES CHANGE 1, 22 AUGUST 2014

All of these are attached. One more to come in the next post.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SarDragon

CAPR 35-5 22 NOVEMBER 2016
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member