Main Menu

Cheap Blues Jacket

Started by yolo, February 02, 2018, 01:15:48 PM

yolo

Does anyone know where I can get a a cheap dress blues jacket?

Jester

eBay. Airman's attic if you're close to a base.

abdsp51

Really need to stop saying Airman's Attic.  It's not there for CAPs use. 

OldGuy

Quote from: abdsp51 on February 02, 2018, 03:20:04 PM
We have a great relationship with ours. They allow us.

Jester

Yyyyyeaaaahhhhh, about that... that's not a 100% true statement, although it may be in your area. 

abdsp51

Quote from: Jester on February 02, 2018, 05:19:44 PM

Yyyyyeaaaahhhhh, about that... that's not a 100% true statement, although it may be in your area.

That is a 100% true statement.  Airman's attics are not geared or intended for CAPs use.  They are there to provide junior enlisted AF members quality of life items at not cost.  While some may allow CAP in on space a basis, it's main purpose is the junior enlisted of the installation.  In fact there was a thread awhile ago about this topic.

Jester

Quote from: abdsp51 on February 02, 2018, 05:34:39 PM

That is a 100% true statement.  Airman's attics are not geared or intended for CAPs use.  They are there to provide junior enlisted AF members quality of life items at not cost.  While some may allow CAP in on space a basis, it's main purpose is the junior enlisted of the installation.  In fact there was a thread awhile ago about this topic.

Honestly, I don't particularly care what the "official" purpose is, only the reality for my unit.  If mine lets us in for limited uniform items and donates lots of ABUs, that's good enough for me.  A1C Snuffy and his eight kids can go in there and get hot plates or whatever. 

If some other unit let its folks go in and act a fool, leading to loss of the privilege, that's on them.

I have literally no desire to get into a 15-page nitpick about words (aka the CAPTalk standard).

abdsp51

Quote from: Jester on February 02, 2018, 05:38:41 PM
Quote from: abdsp51 on February 02, 2018, 05:34:39 PM

Honestly, I don't particularly care what the "official" purpose is, only the reality for my unit.  If mine lets us in for limited uniform items and donates lots of ABUs, that's good enough for me.  A1C Snuffy and his eight kids can go in there and get hot plates or whatever. 

If some other unit let its folks go in and act a fool, leading to loss of the privilege, that's on them.

I have literally no desire to get into a 15-page nitpick about words (aka the CAPTalk standard).

You should care about it's official purpose especially simce AFI's govern what we can and cant do on an installation. 

kwe1009

The Airman's Attic is for whoever the sponsoring organization says that it is for.  Generally it is only for junior Airman but many bases set different rules.  Some allow CAP, some don't.  Some used to allow CAP but the members abused the privilege and got themselves removed.

abdsp51

Quote from: kwe1009 on February 02, 2018, 05:54:45 PM
The Airman's Attic is for whoever the sponsoring organization says that it is for.  Generally it is only for junior Airman but many bases set different rules.  Some allow CAP, some don't.  Some used to allow CAP but the members abused the privilege and got themselves removed.

Samr thing I said.  It should not be the default answer for finding uniform items.

Jester

Who said it was?  It may be an option in this particular situation.

SarDragon

KNOCK IT OFF!

Presenting information is great. Arguing about it IS NOT.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

yolo

Alright guys, I asked for a cheap blues jacket. Is there any other place I can get one?

CS

The first place to try, is the squadron.  If they don't have their size, ask if they can ask other squadrons if they have one in their logistics supply.  I can almost guarantee their is one hanging up a unit within your wing.

PHall

Make sure that your new "Cheap Blues Jacket" is the same material and shade as the trousers you plan to wear it with.
They're supposed to match!   As per CAPM 39-1.

Angus

Quote from: TheMeepMan on February 04, 2018, 04:40:46 PM
Alright guys, I asked for a cheap blues jacket. Is there any other place I can get one?

The first question some people should have asked you was, are you a cadet or a senior?  If you're a cadet eBay which has been mentioned is a great place to look if your squadron doesn't have your size.  Now If you're a senior you can try eBay but for that I would recommend setting up an alert for your size on a service coat.  The Officers service coat is much harder to find on eBay, for that while it is somewhat pricey just getting a new one. 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

kwe1009

Quote from: Angus on February 05, 2018, 02:26:19 PM
Quote from: TheMeepMan on February 04, 2018, 04:40:46 PM

The first question some people should have asked you was, are you a cadet or a senior?  If you're a cadet eBay which has been mentioned is a great place to look if your squadron doesn't have your size.  Now If you're a senior you can try eBay but for that I would recommend setting up an alert for your size on a service coat.  The Officers service coat is much harder to find on eBay, for that while it is somewhat pricey just getting a new one.

Great point.  If you are a Senior Member, you can buy the enlisted service coat and then purchase the conversion kit to make it an officer's service coat.
http://www.uniforms-4u.com/p-usaf-officer-jacket-conversion-kit-18231.aspx

Angus

I've heard different things on the conversion kit any experience on how good it works?  And how easy it is for the tailors to put it on.
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

kwe1009

Quote from: Angus on February 05, 2018, 08:28:37 PM
I've heard different things on the conversion kit any experience on how good it works?  And how easy it is for the tailors to put it on.

I haven't heard anything bad about it and a decent tailor should be able to handle it.