CAPR 60-1, 99 Lead Balloons

Started by Eclipse, November 14, 2017, 04:10:00 AM

Paul Creed III

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on January 09, 2018, 06:23:57 PM
Quote from: foo on January 09, 2018, 05:16:59 PM
It's not about semantics, sir. Both terms are used, separated by the conjunction "or." They are obviously distinctly different events. And the requirement is to assist (as in help another more experienced officer) to plan and present one of those events.

If that checklist item is holding people up from getting the rating, let's not make it seem more involved than it needs to be to get it done.

::)

DDR. Period. On any level. Whether a DDR lecture, or DDR activity.

I'm reading this as, while the DDR program is being overhauled and not a stand alone program as it used to be, the DDR lesson is still a requirement for the specialty track.

If that's accurate, I'll coordinate with our staff to have a DDR topic during a meeting. If not, we'll bypass it and move on. It sounds like the former.

You are accurate.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

TheSkyHornet

Fester

Cadet required sleep time has been reduced at encampments, though interestingly it doesn't say "required",
it says "afforded the opportunity", which would seem to indicate they can stay up later if they want to:

"9.3.5. Personal Needs. Encampments will provide every participant with three full, balanced meals
daily. Students will be afforded the opportunity for 8.5 hours of uninterrupted sleep nightly, and the 30
minutes preceding lights out will be reserved for personal time. Cadet cadre will have an opportunity for
8.0 hours of uninterrupted sleep. "

If sleep time were "required," how would SM's go about forcing a cadet to sleep 8.5 hours?   :o
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Fester

And it's about time NHQ put the Wings in charge of O'Rides.  When I was a Cadet in 1997, I was the PO for a Joint O'Rides Day with my Squadron and two others.  I had 5 corporate aircraft slated for the event which was planned to fly 40 O'Rides in one day.  Not a SINGLE one of the corporate a/c showed for the event.  Back then, member owned a/c were acceptable with Wing/CC approval.  Scrambling to get those approved so that the 40 cadets that showed up for their O'Rides was a major PITA.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Fester on January 29, 2018, 04:54:11 AM
Cadet required sleep time has been reduced at encampments, though interestingly it doesn't say "required",
it says "afforded the opportunity", which would seem to indicate they can stay up later if they want to:

"9.3.5. Personal Needs. Encampments will provide every participant with three full, balanced meals
daily. Students will be afforded the opportunity for 8.5 hours of uninterrupted sleep nightly, and the 30
minutes preceding lights out will be reserved for personal time. Cadet cadre will have an opportunity for
8.0 hours of uninterrupted sleep. "

If sleep time were "required," how would SM's go about forcing a cadet to sleep 8.5 hours?   :o

"Afforded" means you are given the opportunity, not that you use that opportunity. The cadets must be allotted time on their schedule for 30 minutes of personal time/hygiene followed by 8.5 hours of rest where they are not disturbed by cadre (no surprise wakeups, no midnight PT, pranks, etc.). If a cadet "can't" get to sleep (i.e., difficulty falling asleep, up studying/ironing, chatting with roommates, etc.), then that is on the cadet.

Ned

Perhaps reading CAP regulations aloud?   :P

Fester

Quote from: Ned on January 29, 2018, 05:13:46 PM

Perhaps reading CAP regulations aloud?   :P

I'm glad someone sensed the sarcasm.

Ned, I somehow came across the "Be An Ally" presentation you did at National Conference (I believe.)  It was fantastic.  Thank you for  creating, and giving, it.  And thank you for being an ally.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Luis R. Ramos

NOW I get the comment of "reading the regulations" and the connection with getting cadets to sleep.

Boy am I dense! It is either my age or lack of sleep.  :P

It IS a good one, though.  >:D
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer