Wear your blues to religious services day? Is that real?

Started by KG7YTS, October 21, 2017, 01:33:47 AM

Alaric

Quote from: Mordecai on October 27, 2017, 03:32:42 AM
Quote from: vorteks on October 26, 2017, 01:24:49 PM
Quote from: Fubar on October 24, 2017, 06:13:01 PM
Seems like an odd excuse to wear a military uniform for no reason other than to wear a military uniform in front of others.

+1

People are going to be thanking you for your service and by that almost all will mean MILITARY service. If you served-great. Otherwise why draw attention to yourself. It's church.

Sounds like an educational opportunity to me.

Don't think services are the place for an "educational opportunity" on CAP, its not why people are going

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Alaric on October 27, 2017, 12:51:50 PM
Quote from: Mordecai on October 27, 2017, 03:32:42 AM
Quote from: vorteks on October 26, 2017, 01:24:49 PM
Quote from: Fubar on October 24, 2017, 06:13:01 PM
Seems like an odd excuse to wear a military uniform for no reason other than to wear a military uniform in front of others.

+1

People are going to be thanking you for your service and by that almost all will mean MILITARY service. If you served-great. Otherwise why draw attention to yourself. It's church.

Sounds like an educational opportunity to me.

Don't think services are the place for an "educational opportunity" on CAP, its not why people are going

+1 on this one

Unless it's directly a public affairs/recruiting event, service-based event, or CAP event, the uniform should not be worn just for the sake of wearing it.

To me, it's the equivalent of someone wearing their Navy khakis to church that day in Lebanon, Kansas. Why?

Chappie

Just a little bit of information....were you aware that Gill Robb Wilson - founder of CAP - was a Presbyterian minister and was instrumental in the establishment of the CAP Chaplain Corps?  His grand-daughter (also a Presbyterian minister) - Jill Paulson - joined CAP in 2011 and serves as a CAP Chaplain in the Illinois Wing.

No one is mandating the wear of the CAP uniform to religious services on that week-end.  However, if one chooses to do so as part of the commemoration of CAP's founding -- as stated before -- it is a wonderful opportunity to share about the three-fold mission of CAP with others who may not know of one's participation in this great organization.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Alaric

Quote from: Chappie on October 27, 2017, 03:03:23 PM
Just a little bit of information....were you aware that Gill Robb Wilson - founder of CAP - was a Presbyterian minister and was instrumental in the establishment of the CAP Chaplain Corps?  His grand-daughter (also a Presbyterian minister) - Jill Paulson - joined CAP in 2011 and serves as a CAP Chaplain in the Illinois Wing.

No one is mandating the wear of the CAP uniform to religious services on that week-end.  However, if one chooses to do so as part of the commemoration of CAP's founding -- as stated before -- it is a wonderful opportunity to share about the three-fold mission of CAP with others who may not know of one's participation in this great organization.

I do actually know Jill, she's awesome but my point remains the same, I don't go to services to get information on the Kiwanis Club, the Masons, the Salvation Army, or any other organization, I go for the purpose of going to services.  YMMV

Spam

Hi Chappie.

I think we all get it, its not mandated. The valid point remains though that for many believers, worship services should be about just that - worship - not about show and tell and evangelizing for CAP.

For many other people, "worship" services are merely a place to socially network. For some, to profile and preen their best dresses or sharp suits. For some, they're the equivalent of the golf links or conventions in terms of venues to develop business contacts (code word there: "fellowship"). In that context, wearing a CAP costume uniform is yet another opportunity to use a religiously framed social event for their ends (as opposed to seeing it as a worship service). That's dependent on personal faith traditions, which is part of American culture.

So not all services serve the same God or gods, nor the same ends, in our plurality that is America. Yet, there are contrasting viewpoints on the propriety of doing this, and it is understandable that some might question it. That's all that you're seeing here.

V/r
Spam

PS, As with my "Wreaths across America" comments regarding CAP shilling to make profits off of dead vets via a for profit company's multimillion dollar revenue stream, I'll stand by for indignation but its an honestly held opinion. As with the wreaths, I don't personally support it. The scene that keeps coming to my mind is the account from all four gospels of Jesus cleansing the temple: "And making a whip of cords, he drove them all out of the temple, ... "Take these things away; do not make my Father's house a house of trade." (John 2:13-16)

Airplane girl

I'd definitely get some pretty weird looks if I wore my uniform to Quaker meeting

Chappie

Spam...I see and appreciate where you are coming from.  Having served in pastoral ministry for over 30 years (14 years as a staff pastor and 21 years as a senior pastor for one congregation) it is one of the objectives of worship is to "serve others".   It was our practice in churches that I served (as part of the announcement time - from time to time -) to feature various organizations/services within the community where people could offer their time and talents. There are many noble and worthwhile activities/organizations that members of local congregations are unaware of their existence — this provided exposure to opportunities to "put feet to their faith" during the week.  As a pastor, leading by example is an essential.  On this particular Sunday, it provided me an opportunity to share with my congregation regarding my community service as a member of CAP. I never considered it a "show and tell" rather a visual/verbal encouragement to find ways to serve outside the four walls of the church.  Many churches (including ours) have a sign over the entry way..."Enter to Worship...Depart to Serve".   Part of worship is to be equipped to serve.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Mitchell 1969

So...it seems to boil down to this:

1) CAP authorizes it.
2) The option is with the individual.
3) Do it or don't do it.

Can we move on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.