Main Menu

Rejoining after 3 years

Started by KG7YTS, October 18, 2017, 11:46:19 PM

KG7YTS

I have been out of CAP for 3 years... I am attempting to rejoin, I was eligible for my first promotion the week my membership expired, but never received the promotion. Would I still be eligible for the promotion when I get back in (at least would it remember the leadership test, I am fine with redoing PT and Drill)? Also when I fill out the application online, it says Duplicate SSN, is this because I was in before, if so, what will it take to rejoin after I get them to call me back, as they are off duty whenever I call? I am eager to get back in and I am really wanting to be a member again by Monday.

TheSkyHornet

Your former unit is required to retain your personnel record for 5 years. So if you were a member in the past 5 years, they should have your record. Be aware that this does not mean they have actually retained your records in accordance with policy.

If you submit a new application, you may provide copies of your records to National Headquarters to be reviewed to determine if your prior membership's qualifications (promotions, testing, etc.) can be reinstated to their last known state (Meaning: If you left off as a C/SrA, for example, you can be reinstated as a C/SrA).

It is more than likely that your testing scores were not retained, even if they should have been (since not everything is retained in eServices). You will need to, in that case, retake all of your testing required of your "next" achievement.

Keep in mind that just because someone was required to retain your record does not actually mean they did, and you may be out of luck on that. While you did have the option to request a copy of your records when you left CAP previously, you were not required to keep a copy. You are, however, permitted and privileged to request your records from your last unit. Again, this does not guarantee that your records actually do exist. Poor record keeping by previous unit staff can result in these problems down the road (i.e., now).

You should really submit a paper application if you are reinstating your membership along with your old records accompanying your application packet. While not the fastest route, it provides the most information to the Personnel office in processing your application for reinstatement (new membership). If your Social Security Number is still in eServices, that means your profile/user account still exists and you cannot re-register. You will need to clear that with NHQ, most likely through a paper application.

KG7YTS

Thanks for the reply, sounds like I am going to have a "fun" next few days. :o

TheSkyHornet

The worst that can happen is you are reinstated at your last grade and have to complete the testing all over again.

Okay, the worst that can happen is actually you become a C/AB again and have to work all the way back up. But you seem to have an eServices profile still set up, just inactive behind the scenes.

I had a cadet who left as a C/SrA and was reinstated as a C/SrA. His eServices profile shows that he completed no testing, and lists him as "CADET" without a grade; however, when I go to the Cadet Promotions area to enter in a test score (while I see all of his testing as blank...even though I know he completed the CPFT before he left), it shows him working on the C/SSgt tasks. He either didn't have a record of his previous testing scores, or it was never submitted with his application to be reinstated. I can't say; I'm not part of that process. But he's essentially back on track to get back into the program and start progressing again.

SarDragon

Aldo, make sure your old CAPID is on the application, and dates if you have them.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

The place to have this discussion would be with the local squadron
you are hoping to rejoin.  It's not automatic. This will likely
include proving your citizenship or residency status, so be prepared to
present the appropriate documents.

With a 3-year break, you have to meet the initial eligibility requirements,
which would include at least three meetings before accepting the application.

Assuming it is accepted, once your old CAPID is active again, your CC can
see what is, or is not applicable from your previous time as a member.

See CAPR 39-2 ยง 6.2.1 (page 12).

I believe you'll have to submit the app via a hardcopy CAPF 15, as the online
app, as you saw, won't accept an SSN already on file.

Also, if you haven't already, you should be prepared to discuss why you left three
years ago, and what is different now.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on October 19, 2017, 01:05:29 AM
The worst that can happen is you are reinstated at your last grade and have to complete the testing all over again.

Okay, the worst that can happen is actually you become a C/AB again and have to work all the way back up.

Quote from: KG7YTS on October 18, 2017, 11:46:19 PM
I have been out of CAP for 3 years... I am attempting to rejoin, I was eligible for my first promotion the week my membership expired, but never received the promotion.

His grade was and, and will be "cadet".

"That Others May Zoom"

Spam

It may - MAY - be possible, once you speak with your new Commander and his/her unit Membership Board to see if they'll have you as a member again, to simply then call NHQ member services and renew with a credit card. That's only a maybe... they've been able to do surprising things before.

However, as I think you've heard here, you need to have a good answer to why you quit, before your unit agrees to let you rejoin at all.

Also, you aren't over 18 now, are you? If so, you'll be coming back in as a senior member without grade.

Good luck
Spam

KG7YTS

OK guys, thanks for the answers. And in response to Spam, actually, I am 17, so I can still be a cadet, and I have already discussed with the Unit commander and they are all for having my back at the squadron, but they referred me to the online application, so I will be talking to the Unit Commander if the whole eservices thing doesn't work.

Spam

KG7YTS

Thank you to everybody who has replied... great help, I called to see if eservices could work some magic and they couldn't... they should have some sort of memo somewhere so people know that you can't rejoin online. That would have saved some time. Oh well, now I can share my knowledge.