Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 17, 2017, 09:50:54 AM
Home Help Login Register
News:

CAP Talk  |  General Discussion  |  Membership  |  Topic: Mitchell Aerospace test
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Mitchell Aerospace test  (Read 1141 times)
Ethan Larsen
Recruit

« on: July 26, 2017, 12:49:38 AM »

Literally the last thing I had for my Mitchell was the Aerospace test. I was sure I had this cat in the bag, and then boom, the floor wen't out from under my feet :( I failed the test with 78%, 80% minimum. I had been doing review for the test from quizlet, which had 115 flash cards on the Mitchell. I had them all 100% down, but when I went to take the test, literally nothing I had studied was there. This maked me feel like I picked thr wrong edition of test. The options for the Ae were 2nd and 3rd edition, but the quizlet cards did not have and edition marked out that they were made for. Does anyone know anything about the editions that the quizlet thing was on, or about any advice in general?

Flash cards I used: https://quizlet.com/6607894/flashcards
C/CMSgt Ethan Larsen
abdsp51
Salty & Seasoned Contributor

Unit: Classified

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 12:53:10 AM »

Study your books...
SarDragon
Global Moderator

Unit: NAVAIRPAC

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 01:17:19 AM »

Yup. The books are your best source. Look at the objectives they call them outcomes) in each section, and see what they want you to take away from the lesson. That's where the test questions are supposed to be taken from.

Here's a sample -
Module 2 - AIRCRAFT SYSTEMS AND AIRPORTS
Chapter 1 - Airplane Systems

Learning Outcomes
- Explain how a reciprocating engine operates.
- Identify parts of the airplane engine when viewed externally.
- Describe how a jet engine operates.
- Identify basic cockpit-mounted powerplant controls.
- Identify basic flight instruments.

If you can recall that info from memory, for each module and chapter, you can pass the test.

Also, make sure the test you are taking and the Aerospace Dimensions Modules you are studying are the same edition.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret
Spam

Unit: GA-001/CV

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 09:16:42 AM »

Amen to all the above. As the Navy says "in gouge we trust" (gouge being the unofficial study guide) but the corollary to that is "live by the gouge, DIE by the gouge" because the unofficial stuff can so often be very outdated and WRONG...

So, my advice is the same: don't rely on amateurish quizlets as an authoritative source (any more than you should be using Wikipedia as an authority for ANY research).  In general, you shouldn't to use ANY unofficial, non-peer reviewed, inaccurate sources produced by amateurs as the sole basis for your academic preparation. Stick with the real source material (as cited here) and those learning objectives as your guide.

Best wishes - repost in a week or two and let us know when you've passed - hopefully with a 90 something plus percent!

Good luck to you!
Spam
Ethan Larsen
Recruit

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 12:00:46 PM »

Amen to all the above. As the Navy says "in gouge we trust" (gouge being the unofficial study guide) but the corollary to that is "live by the gouge, DIE by the gouge" because the unofficial stuff can so often be very outdated and WRONG...

So, my advice is the same: don't rely on amateurish quizlets as an authoritative source (any more than you should be using Wikipedia as an authority for ANY research).  In general, you shouldn't to use ANY unofficial, non-peer reviewed, inaccurate sources produced by amateurs as the sole basis for your academic preparation. Stick with the real source material (as cited here) and those learning objectives as your guide.

Best wishes - repost in a week or two and let us know when you've passed - hopefully with a 90 something plus percent!

Good luck to you!
Spam

Thank you so much for the help.
C/CMSgt Ethan Larsen
Ethan Larsen
Recruit

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 12:05:44 PM »

Yup. The books are your best source. Look at the objectives they call them outcomes) in each section, and see what they want you to take away from the lesson. That's where the test questions are supposed to be taken from.

Here's a sample -
Module 2 - AIRCRAFT SYSTEMS AND AIRPORTS
Chapter 1 - Airplane Systems

Learning Outcomes
- Explain how a reciprocating engine operates.
- Identify parts of the airplane engine when viewed externally.
- Describe how a jet engine operates.
- Identify basic cockpit-mounted powerplant controls.
- Identify basic flight instruments.

If you can recall that info from memory, for each module and chapter, you can pass the test.

Also, make sure the test you are taking and the Aerospace Dimensions Modules you are studying are the same edition.

I think this is the main reason I didn't pass. I took the wrong edition. Even though I will not continue to use the quizlet thing for review, pretty much all of it matched with my books. But the night after I failed, nothing on the 2nd edition test I took seemed to be in the books, so I'm pretty sure I was reviewing for the wrong edition, which would explain it. It's a bit annoying since I am positive I could have passed the 3rd edition test with something like a 95% score, but a little mistake like selecting the wrong edition is what let me down. Made more frustrating because our next meeting will be in a month.
C/CMSgt Ethan Larsen
MSG Mac

Unit: MER-MD-071

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 06:25:28 PM »

The Testing Officer should have shredded the old test as soon as the last cadet studying under the old book either passed or left the program. But the questions on either test are generally the same or have slight differences. If possible have the TO set you up on the Internet version of the test, so it is aligned with the latest version.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
Ethan Larsen
Recruit

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 07:47:31 PM »

The Testing Officer should have shredded the old test as soon as the last cadet studying under the old book either passed or left the program. But the questions on either test are generally the same or have slight differences. If possible have the TO set you up on the Internet version of the test, so it is aligned with the latest version.

A quick look inside my book shows me that I have a 3rd edition book. As long as I click on the 3rd edition test, I should be fine, right?
C/CMSgt Ethan Larsen
MSG Mac

Unit: MER-MD-071

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 11:30:24 PM »

yes
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
PHall

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 08:19:39 PM »

Cadet, it's up to you, the one taking the test, to make sure you're taking the correct test.
Since you're the one who has to deal with the results, not the Test Control Officer...
Ethan Larsen
Recruit

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 03:20:05 PM »

Good luck to you!
Spam

Have been studying from the books and have failed again, 78%. Hopefully I will get it next time.
C/CMSgt Ethan Larsen
Eclipse
Too Much Free Time Award

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2017, 05:37:54 PM »

Don't be too hard on yourself - your experience is fairly typical.  The AE test
seems to be the one that gives many cadets some difficultly, and multiple attempts isn't uncommon.

"Effort" does not equal "results".
The contents of this post are Copyright 2017 by eclipse. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

GaryVC
Forum Regular

Unit: PCR-NV-070

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2017, 07:02:53 PM »

Don't be too hard on yourself - your experience is fairly typical.  The AE test
seems to be the one that gives many cadets some difficultly, and multiple attempts isn't uncommon.

This is certainly true in our squadron.
Airplane girl

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2017, 09:23:12 PM »

If you're using quizlet, it might be helpful to make your own flashcard sets, since typing things can help information stick in your brain better. That's what I did when I was studying for my Mitchell.
Dank Meme Master
Spam

Unit: GA-001/CV

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2017, 11:39:35 PM »

Good luck to you!
Spam

Have been studying from the books and have failed again, 78%. Hopefully I will get it next time.

Pause. Deep breath. Go to original source material (NOT ONLINE QUIZLETS WRITTEN BY POTENTIALLY FLAWED PEERS) and study the real manuals. Read the "learning objectives" for each chapter. Then, after making notes, try it again.

Don't forget, these "quizlets" are not done by CAP. They are done by other teen agers trying to help, and although well intentioned could be very, very inaccurate.

Keep plugging. Orville and Wilbur took months to figure out the basics.

V/r
Spam

Pages: [1] Print 
CAP Talk  |  General Discussion  |  Membership  |  Topic: Mitchell Aerospace test