Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 25, 2017, 05:41:58 AM
Home Help Login Register
News:

CAP Talk  |  Cadet Programs  |  Encampments & NCSAs  |  Topic: Sunglasses at encampment
Pages: 1 [2]  All Print
Author Topic: Sunglasses at encampment  (Read 1849 times)
Jester
Forum Regular

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2017, 04:09:45 PM »

Poor Gerald, ahead of his time and surrounded by naysayers.
KASSRCrashResearch

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2017, 04:17:38 PM »

f you deny a medical opinion/ order written busy an M.D.,  you could be considered practicing medicine with out a license.

Could is the operative word there. No prosecutor in his right mind is going to waste time prosecuting some random schmuck for that anymore than you're likely to get cited for practicing law without a license.  It is at most a matter for civil litigation and even then...it's far from a slam dunk thing (give me a ten page report on intersection of the legal concept of 'a preponderance of the evidence" and the difficulty of scientifically assigning a condition associated with years of ultraviolet exposure to a single weekend or incident. Start with the Daubert standard and work back from there.

It is stupid to not follow a medical order.  Trust me, i loved medical restrictions when I was in the military.  But please try to keep the hyperbole to a minimum or, at least, try to make it hilarious.
I have complete faith in the continued absurdity of what ever is going on.
KASSRCrashResearch

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2017, 04:20:12 PM »

This guy, among others, disagrees with Gerald:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/09/16/sunglasses-myths.aspx

"On an average sunny day, however, wearing sunglasses is the last thing you want to do for your vision health, because you will be blocking potentially beneficial wavelengths of light from reaching your eyes. There are actually more than 1,500 wavelengths of light that you need to nourish your eyes. So I avoid using sunglasses, because I believe your eyes need to receive the full spectrum of light to function optimally, and sunglasses block out some essential waves of the light spectrum.

Instead of sunglasses, I wear a lightweight cap with a visor like this one to protect my face and eyes from direct sunlight. This is typically all that is needed and will still allow your eyes to benefit from the full spectrum of light. My team liked the cap that I wear so much that we even offer it for sale in our store."

"Generally speaking, I think you can effectively use your body as a guide to tell you when sunglasses are truly necessary. If the light is uncomfortable to your eyes or causes you to squint, put on a hat, get in the shade or use sunglasses – temporarily. But I believe it's best to avoid wearing sunglasses automatically during virtually all daylight hours."

Just a friendly heads up: Mercola is also regarded as a quack by almost everyone with a scientific or medical education.  He's the last person- despite technically being a physician- you should be listening too.
Eclipse
Too Much Free Time Award

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2017, 04:55:20 PM »

Just a friendly heads up: Mercola is also regarded as a quack by almost everyone with a scientific or medical education.  He's the last person- despite technically being a physician- you should be listening too.

Maybe, maybe not - Googling around provides plenty more places with the same or similar information.

More an example that the internet will provide any opinion you need, and that generally speaking, for the majority
of people, blanket statements like "always" or "every" in regards to medical issues.

Since man walked with the dinosaurs 1,600 years ago there were no sunglasses, yet put an otherwise healthy
cadet outside for an hour a day without them and their eyeballs will literally explode.

"Effort" does not equal "results".
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2017 by eclipse. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

PA Guy
Salty & Seasoned Contributor

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2017, 05:22:40 PM »

Didn't we have a long thread about this very same topic about 2 yrs ago? It went nowhere and this one is following the same path. Can we close this one?
waukwiz

Unit: GLR-WI-048

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2017, 05:26:20 PM »

Please.

We really shouldn't dive into a medical discussion about eye health without Gerald here.
Cadet Cullen Mayes
Cadet ES Officer
Waukesha Composite Squadron
"Ok, how about instead of doing that, let's not do that. Ok?"
The senseless drivel in this post is Copyright © 2017 by waukwiz. All parking spots are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post anywhere except CAP-Talk only.
KASSRCrashResearch

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2017, 05:27:31 PM »

Maybe, maybe not

I'm just saying that quoting Mercola is just this side of going "Well, after I edited it, Wikipedia says X" for helping the credibility of one's argument.  It was meant more as a "heads up" about Mercola being a bottom feeding snake oil salesman than anything else.  He's a con artist.  Nothing more, nothing less.

By the way, "finding similar statements" isn't much better.  For the actual consensus:
www.aao.org/eye-health/glasses-contacts/sunglasses-3
www.aao.org/eye-health/tips-prevention/sun
https://www.aao.org/eye-health/tips-prevention/summer-sun-eye-safety
KASSRCrashResearch

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2017, 05:28:15 PM »

Since man walked with the dinosaurs 1,600 years ago there were no sunglasses,

You're joking right?  LOL
Eclipse
Too Much Free Time Award

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2017, 05:32:59 PM »

Maybe, maybe not

I'm just saying that quoting Mercola is just this side of going "Well, after I edited it, Wikipedia says X" for helping the credibility of one's argument.  It was meant more as a "heads up" about Mercola being a bottom feeding snake oil salesman than anything else.  He's a con artist.  Nothing more, nothing less.

By the way, "finding similar statements" isn't much better.  For the actual consensus:

Meh...just shills for Luxottica.

"Effort" does not equal "results".
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2017 by eclipse. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

KASSRCrashResearch

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2017, 05:46:34 PM »

Maybe, maybe not

Meh...just shills for Luxottica.
*raises glass* Well played. 
TheSkyHornet
Salty & Seasoned Contributor

« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2017, 06:14:32 PM »

I got lost in the world of arguing over the "necessity of sunglasses," which doesn't exist (and as a cadet in formation most of the time, they won't be worn). So forgive me if I've missed someone else making this point---

Why is your Flight Sergeant sending you an Encampment packing list from North Dakota when you're in New York? Further more, why are you being sent a packing list from 2013?

For someone who's 15-years-old, you really need to step up into the world of personal responsibility here. Start asking these questions at your unit/within your chain of command/within your Wing. Most of these questions can/should be answered by persons who are more aware and knowledgeable about the state of affairs in NYWG. You're turning into one of those "but so-and-so told me" cadets who heard something completely false by someone who was in no position to be asked/give answers on the subject matter you are questioning.

Read the manual. Ask your superiors. Email the proper persons-in-charge/points of contact of these activities. Their answers will be the more accurate.
CAPLTC
Recruit

Unit: MER

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2017, 11:30:07 PM »

Every ophthalmologist,  optometrist,  and Gerald practitioner, that I have spoken to, have advocated the use of sunglasses ANYTIME YOU ARE OUT OF DOORS. But I am sure that a jester knows best.

Agree.
Eye protection should be part of the uniform.
It's common sense.
"Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they’re so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact." -- SECDEF Mattis
Sapper168
Seasoned Member

Unit: GLR-IL-036

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2017, 09:27:27 AM »

Jester, with great respect, are you a board certified opthamologist, or at the very least an optometrist? If not, may I respectfully advise you that you are in no position to make a medical decision.  The bill of a cap provides no to little protection to a person's eyes. The same this goes for standing in the shade. If you deny a medical opinion/ order written busy an M.D.,  you could be considered practicing medicine with out a license. Sunglasses are, and should be considered,  standard PPE. 

Every ophthalmologist,  optometrist,  and Gerald practitioner, that I have spoken to, have advocated the use of sunglasses ANYTIME YOU ARE OUT OF DOORS. But I am sure that a jester knows best.

I have been part of a summer encampment for the last 7 years and have literally never had a cadet with a sunglasses prescription.  One had darkening lenses in his regular prescription glasses but no aviator or tacti-kewl shades.   Sounds like something for the people with nothing else to do to have something to argue about.
Essayons!
Ozzy
Seasoned Member

Unit: NY

NY-288 Squadron Website
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2017, 10:23:16 AM »

Why is your Flight Sergeant sending you an Encampment packing list from North Dakota when you're in New York? Further more, why are you being sent a packing list from 2013?

Probably the same thing most cadets try to do when there is a lack for information from the top, they look for it. Most likely it was one of the first ones that came up during a google search and he took a glance at it and said "Close enough to get them started packing". Then again, I don't believe North Dakota has had a stand-alone encampment in years, it is usually called the Joint Dakota Encampment so I wonder where the North Dakota Wing 2013 packing list came from...

Anyways, all cadets should have received the official packing list by now and we are 3 days out for staff, 6 for inflights students
Ozyilmaz, TSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
SGT, ARNG (Out!)

NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, (17)
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
Pages: 1 [2]  All Print 
CAP Talk  |  Cadet Programs  |  Encampments & NCSAs  |  Topic: Sunglasses at encampment