No more Airman's Attic access in some areas

Started by Eclipse, July 12, 2017, 11:10:43 PM

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on July 13, 2017, 03:39:17 AM
Do those scholarships include money for uniforms and travel?

No, just the cost of the activity they're applying for. Which is usually the biggest cost.

jody

I just attended the Rocky Mountain Region Staff College at the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs. While there my group and I took the opportunity to go over to clothing sales and the thrift shop. I could not have been treated with more respect from the staff there. In fact, they even helped me find additional clothing items that I did not know were there. They were very kind as well. It sounds to me that the individual Wing staff members should step up and help CAP members to obtain uniform items instead of individual members inundating Airman's Attics on the various bases. That is what the Utah Wing did for the benefit of its members.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stillamarine

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on July 13, 2017, 11:56:36 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on July 13, 2017, 03:18:37 PM

And finally a point about the USO.........those guys can be sticks in the mud.   The USO runs a small shop at El Paso for the out bound troops.....and they were very rude to us contractors who were also deploying.     And hey!  That's their right.   They are not an official part of the USAF or Military and they can set what ever rules they want.

I've mentioned this before, but the USO at LAX was quite accommodating to CAP, at their invitation. But it wasn't a drop in whenever you like deal. It was specifically limited to IACE departures and returns. No big deal for them, just a place to sit and have a cookie and a Coke while waiting for flights, but much appreciated. I say again - their invitation, but undoubtedly based on my personal relationship with the retired general who used to run it. I mentioned during a conversation that i was going to be rounding up CAP cadets for ISCE and he knew all about us, insisted that we use their facility as a safe haven and gathering place.

They have a great USO but the one at SEATAC was amazing. After a very long flight (with lots of booze) back from Oki in 98 I slept really good on the racks they have there. They even woke me up with enough time to shave and put on my Blues for the last leg home.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

jody

Quote from: stillamarine on July 14, 2017, 02:36:17 PM
Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on July 13, 2017, 11:56:36 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on July 13, 2017, 03:18:37 PM

And finally a point about the USO.........those guys can be sticks in the mud.   The USO runs a small shop at El Paso for the out bound troops.....and they were very rude to us contractors who were also deploying.     And hey!  That's their right.   They are not an official part of the USAF or Military and they can set what ever rules they want.

I've mentioned this before, but the USO at LAX was quite accommodating to CAP, at their invitation. But it wasn't a drop in whenever you like deal. It was specifically limited to IACE departures and returns. No big deal for them, just a place to sit and have a cookie and a Coke while waiting for flights, but much appreciated. I say again - their invitation, but undoubtedly based on my personal relationship with the retired general who used to run it. I mentioned during a conversation that i was going to be rounding up CAP cadets for ISCE and he knew all about us, insisted that we use their facility as a safe haven and gathering place.

They have a great USO but the one at SEATAC was amazing. After a very long flight (with lots of booze) back from Oki in 98 I slept really good on the racks they have there. They even woke me up with enough time to shave and put on my Blues for the last leg home.

Very nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abdsp51

It's gotten better.  Completely renovated and new location as of last year.

stillamarine

Quote from: abdsp51 on July 14, 2017, 07:11:25 PM

Let me tell you, it was great taking a shower after that 18 hour flight followed by a steak breakfast at the brewery there. Add the nap and it was the best trip I ever took!

I found it interesting that they do welcome first responders on a space available basis. I wonder if any others do that.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: Eclipse on July 14, 2017, 12:26:08 AM
Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on July 14, 2017, 12:13:24 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on July 12, 2017, 11:10:43 PM
No AAFES.

Virtually no MCSS.

WHAT?!? I missed a memo somewhere.

CAP hasn't been able to order anything from AAFES for several years, and unless you have a USAF base with an
MCSS store in reasonable proximity, >and< are allowed on base, that's not really an option either.

Huh. I have MacDill in my backyard, but haven't been over there for a couple of years. If I ever get the burning desire to replace the BDUs I haven't worn in years, I might just have to see what hoops I do/don't need to jump through.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: stillamarine on July 14, 2017, 07:13:01 PM
Quote from: abdsp51 on July 14, 2017, 07:11:25 PM

Let me tell you, it was great taking a shower after that 18 hour flight followed by a steak breakfast at the brewery there. Add the nap and it was the best trip I ever took!

I found it interesting that they do welcome first responders on a space available basis. I wonder if any others do that.

The one at LAX did. In fact, encouraged them to stop by.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

SAREXinNY

I wasn't aware we were shut out of AAFES.  I haven't needed anything from there in years.  Vanguard sells the pants, but no jacket.  So is there anywhere else to get an officer's blues jacket other than eBay?

NIN

Quote from: SAREXinNY on July 16, 2017, 12:40:35 PM
I wasn't aware we were shut out of AAFES.  I haven't needed anything from there in years.  Vanguard sells the pants, but no jacket.  So is there anywhere else to get an officer's blues jacket other than eBay?

Well "shut out of AAFES" isn't exactly true.

We're still authorized to shop at AAFES MCSS for uniform items  (CAPR 147-1).

And we're still authorized to "mail order" uniforms (CAPM 39-1, para 1.3.2.1) and "phone order" (ibid, para 1.3.2.2) from AAFES MCSS, but anecdotal evidence suggests that you have to get the right person on the phone at the right time to gain such ability, otherwise "something, something DEERS something."   AAFES has started to lean toward online ordering and we're shut right out of that (again, "something, something DEERS something").

Which leaves you to getting to an MCSS on a local base. Most of which are very much not "local" anymore due to BRAC closures, and are then subject to the vagaries of the base commander's specific access policy. When I lived in Detroit, Selfridge ANGB was a 20-30 minute trip (depending on where I lived at the time) and CAP had no trouble getting on base *except* when there was any kind of a security situation.  Where I live now, the ANG base is over an hour away, has an access list for CAP (and pretty much only the on-base sq is on it) and even then the MCSS is, uh, "limited."  The nearest active AFB is closer to 90 minutes away in another state, and we're told that if you're not on the access list at the gate for CAP, you're not getting in. So much for that.

So while we're authorized, our ability to access (physically, or technically) is still limited in many cases. I've had better luck gaining access to MCSS at Andrews AFB while traveling, for example.

At the end of the day, Vanguard or eBay is simply "easier".

And to be fair, I've gotten some really good uniform deals out of eBay in the last 4 years.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

GaryVC

If anyone is going to be visiting Las Vegas and wants to visit the AAFES store at Nellis AFB I can get you on base. Just let me know well in advance. They generally have a good selection but sometimes run out of things. It took me a while to get an ABU cap in my size. gary@vcisinc.com

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on July 16, 2017, 03:54:13 PM
And we're still authorized to "mail order" uniforms (CAPM 39-1, para 1.3.2.1) and "phone order" (ibid, para 1.3.2.2) from AAFES MCSS, but anecdotal evidence suggests that you have to get the right person on the phone at the right time to gain such ability, otherwise "something, something DEERS something."   AAFES has started to lean toward online ordering and we're shut right out of that (again, "something, something DEERS something").

About 2 years ago, AAFES decided arbitrarily to no longer accept CAP phone orders. Without that ability, AAFES is no longer an option for the
majority of CAP members.  (Per the KB this was due to the outsourcing of the AAFES call center, which if correct, is the most "typical CAP situation" I've heard in quite a while...)

MCSS, while still open to members, require physical access, are not located in many of the most populous areas of the country, and
do not necessarily stock the "thing" a member needs at any given time, vs. the mail order option, which was a hassle but at least worked
when you knew the hoops, where in theory the entire catalog was available to order.

"That Others May Zoom"

SAREXinNY

Quote from: NIN on July 16, 2017, 03:54:13 PM
Quote from: SAREXinNY on July 16, 2017, 12:40:35 PM

Well "shut out of AAFES" isn't exactly true.

....but anecdotal evidence suggests that you have to get the right person on the phone at the right time to gain such ability.....

Ahhhh ok. Well in that case nothing has changed since my order.  It took weeks, with lots of calling, emailing, faxing, verification, etc.  Royal PITA but it got done.

Eclipse

Quote from: SAREXinNY on July 16, 2017, 05:15:26 PM
Ahhhh ok. Well in that case nothing has changed since my order.  It took weeks, with lots of calling, emailing, faxing, verification, etc.  Royal PITA but it got done.

How recent was this?

And if so, what steps did you take to get it done?

"That Others May Zoom"

SAREXinNY

Quote from: Eclipse on July 16, 2017, 05:33:32 PM

How recent was this?

Eclipse, I just noticed your previous post.  My order was in March of '13.    I haven't attempted to order anything since.  If they cut us off from phone orders that is really frustrating.

Eclipse

Quote from: SAREXinNY on July 16, 2017, 06:07:37 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on July 16, 2017, 05:33:32 PM

How recent was this?

Eclipse, I just noticed your previous post.  My order was in March of '13.    I haven't attempted to order anything since.  If they cut us off from phone orders that is really frustrating.

OK, bummer, yeah that was still in the "good ol' days".

"That Others May Zoom"

Mustang

Quote from: Slim on July 13, 2017, 07:22:06 AM
CAP should have never had access to the AA in the first place.  CAP members aren't eligible to use USO facilities in the first place, let alone be in there cleaning them out of ABUs. 

I just spent a week in the USO building at Wright-Patt for GLRSC.  One of the first things they told us during the welcome brief was to keep our mitts off the ABUs in the Airman's Attic.  We were also told that the TV/game room and snack bar were off limits to us.  Basically, the only places we were allowed to be was the large multipurpose room they held the classes in, the four classrooms upstairs we used for seminar breakouts, and the rest rooms.
Total Force, my ass. More like Total Farce.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

abdsp51

Quote from: Mustang on July 17, 2017, 04:07:09 AM
Total Force, my ass. More like Total Farce.

Are you really surprised by that?  I said before that the inclusion into Total Force is not going to be the goodie bag everyone thought it was.  Plus the USO is not run by the AF or the DOD.  And in many ways if there is any truth into this thread who do we (CAP) really have to fault for it? 

To many see membership in CAP and expect entitlements that it does not nor should provide.

Eclipse

I think in this particular case, CAP members have / had no business in there.  It's not what the intention is / was, and is akin to
when CAP seeks donations for other charities, with that said...

From the time where CAP members were hanging I-Vs in the field to today's reality, you can blame bad behavior / poor leadership / lack of ramifications
for the state of CAP today. Gomer Slick Sleeve from another wing decides the base where a unit meets would be "perfect for a SAREX / banquet" and wanders into
the garden unannounced and starts making demands of the base staff.  Next thing you know, the local unit is looking for a new meeting place. Etc., etc. BTDT.

Instead of bouncing the bozos and doing a huge mea culpa to the offended, CAP just says "everyone out of the pool", because the latter
is easier and does not require...Vigilance.

"That Others May Zoom"

kwe1009

Quote from: Eclipse on July 17, 2017, 03:39:37 PM
I think in this particular case, CAP members have / had no business in there.  It's not what the intention is / was, and is akin to
when CAP seeks donations for other charities, with that said...

From the time where CAP members were hanging I-Vs in the field to today's reality, you can blame bad behavior / poor leadership / lack of ramifications
for the state of CAP today. Gomer Slick Sleeve from another wing decides the base where a unit meets would be "perfect for a SAREX / banquet" and wanders into
the garden unannounced and starts making demands of the base staff.  Next thing you know, the local unit is looking for a new meeting place. Etc., etc. BTDT.

Instead of bouncing the bozos and doing a huge mea culpa to the offended, CAP just says "everyone out of the pool", because the latter
is easier and does not require...Vigilance.

Unfortunately, you are absolutely correct.