NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

Eclipse

Quote from: Ozzy on July 18, 2017, 02:28:47 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on July 18, 2017, 01:03:17 PM
Is your name on two lines?

One line, the other line is duty position title

Rog - congrats, I always wanted to be a Zek, just never found the time.

"That Others May Zoom"

Ozzy

Quote from: Eclipse on July 18, 2017, 03:07:07 PM
Quote from: Ozzy on July 18, 2017, 02:28:47 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on July 18, 2017, 01:03:17 PM
Is your name on two lines?

One line, the other line is duty position title

Rog - congrats, I always wanted to be a Zek, just never found the time.

Heh, Was duty position supposed to be under the name? I haven't really seen too many with a duty title

On another note, after talking with Vanguard although they haven't found out what happened to my shirt, they remember making two and that they put *two* into the package but alas one appears to have gone missing. They did say they will get a new one out to me by next week.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
GAWG Encampment 18, 19

Fubar

Quote from: Ozzy on July 18, 2017, 03:24:15 PMHeh, Was duty position supposed to be under the name? I haven't really seen too many with a duty title

This is all I could find on using a duty title:

Quote from: CAPM 39-15.2.2.3.1. Dark blue knit shirt with embroidered CAP seal. First and last name may be embroidered in white thread on the left breast. No rank designation is authorized. One CAP aviation, occupational badge, specialty track, duty title badge may be embroidered ½ inch over the name.

I dunno what a "duty title badge" is, but I think that's what you have.

Ozzy

Quote from: Fubar on July 18, 2017, 11:16:19 PM
Quote from: Ozzy on July 18, 2017, 03:24:15 PMHeh, Was duty position supposed to be under the name? I haven't really seen too many with a duty title

This is all I could find on using a duty title:

Quote from: CAPM 39-15.2.2.3.1. Dark blue knit shirt with embroidered CAP seal. First and last name may be embroidered in white thread on the left breast. No rank designation is authorized. One CAP aviation, occupational badge, specialty track, duty title badge may be embroidered ½ inch over the name.

I dunno what a "duty title badge" is, but I think that's what you have.

Should probably just be duty title... The first few paragraphs for the Polo state this:
Quote5.2.2.1.1. Dark blue knit shirt (long/short sleeves) with embroidered CAP seal on the right breast. An embroidered name (first and last name) in white thread, and one‐service badge, aviation badge, occupational badge, specialty track badge or duty title on the left breast is optional.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
GAWG Encampment 18, 19

Mustang

The profit margin on these is a little obscene. Gall's sells the same shirt for $31.99--which includes a profit of some sort but does not include the embroidered CAP seal. There is no way, however, that the embroidery costs an additional $14. Or even $10. Or $7.

Without getting into a discussion on the poor product quality,  Vanguard's prices in general have gotten out of control. Either NHQ has upped its kickback ("licensing fees"), or we're being gouged since Vanguard has a monopoly. Probably a little of both. 

Either way, it's high time that NHQ put the contract up for bidding again.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Fubar

Quote from: Mustang on July 31, 2017, 10:01:11 AM

Is there another company out there capable of handling our account?

hamburgee

*cough* government vendors *cough* (just wishful thinking, I know it'd probably never actually happen)

Jester

Quote from: Fubar on July 31, 2017, 06:49:49 PM

Maybe Ira Green. Maybe.

SarDragon

Quote from: hamburgee on July 31, 2017, 11:46:27 PM
*cough* government vendors *cough* (just wishful thinking, I know it'd probably never actually happen)

Take a guess on who the primary government vendor is. Starts with  'V'; ends with a 'd'.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Storm Chaser

The profit margin on these is a little obscene. Gall's sells the same shirt for $31.99--which includes a profit of some sort but does not include the embroidered CAP seal. There is no way, however, that the embroidery costs an additional $14. Or even $10. Or $7.

Without getting into a discussion on the poor product quality,  Vanguard's prices in general have gotten out of control. Either NHQ has upped its kickback ("licensing fees"), or we're being gouged since Vanguard has a monopoly. Probably a little of both. 

It all comes down to supply and demand. If we had 100,000 members instead of 57,300+ (only 33,200+ who are senior members), those prices would probably come down a bit. Vanguard prices for Air Force insignias are not as bad as for CAP, but the the Air Force has nearly 488,000 members. That makes a huge difference.

Now, I would be content to paying some of those prices for CAP-specific insignias if the quality and consistency was better. That's where I think CAP can and should to do a better job at developing and enforcing standards with its sole supplier.

Mustang

Quote from: Jester on August 01, 2017, 02:02:19 AM

Maybe Ira Green. Maybe.

Ira Green could absolutely do it.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

PHall

Quote from: Mustang on August 01, 2017, 10:35:58 AM
Quote from: Jester on August 01, 2017, 02:02:19 AM

Maybe Ira Green. Maybe.

Ira Green could absolutely do it.

Did they even put in a bid when the contract came up for renewal last time?

Eclipse

Back to the OP - one of my newer members showed up to Night Out last night sporting
the new shirt - it's awesome compared to what has been sold to date.

It's a very professional-looking deep midnight blue, and the material choice means
it's not going to fade to sky blue after three uses or long hours in the sun.

The arm pockets are cool, mike slots seem like they will hold up, and it has the "new"
(gray) seal and very distinct embroidery. It's much closer to the similar material of
my first Bookstore era golf shirt, and will be much more comfortable in hot climes.

Salient discussions of standardization and random, unannounced changes aside, these are a big
win and I can't wait to get mine.

With that said, if VG can just change things on their whim, that pretty much negates any
discussions about materials and vendors, and members ought to be able to find this kind of thing
locally (which they obviously already do). 

There are now probably at least 6-7 different "official" materials and colors of the gold shirt,
not to mention the different seals and inconsistent screen printing on that version.

And a row of seniors in that and gray pants >still< looks better then a gaggle in assorted
field and whites.

"That Others May Zoom"

Holding Pattern

We had an SM or two with the new polo at an activity last week and it was well received.

Adam B

There was a SM at my SLS class sporting the new Polo.
It's VERY dark, almost black.

I don't quite understand how VG can just decide that this is a new authorized item, nor do I really believe that $50+ is a fair price, but it did look pretty smashing.
I'm sure I will eventually succumb and purchase it for myself.
Adam

NIN

I'm due for a new polo shirt.  I think I got mine milliseconds before they started doing the new seal, and of course, I missed the cool new tactical shirt.

I'll wait for 39-1 to be updated, cuz thats generally how I roll, but I hope its soon.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on August 02, 2017, 10:50:54 PM
I'll wait for 39-1 to be updated, cuz thats generally how I roll, but I hope its soon.

Odds are you'll be spending your first SSI check on this shirt if you wait for a new 39-1.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Why would there need to be a reg update? It's a dark blue CAP polo.