Crowdfunding Guidelines - July 2017

Started by Eclipse, July 10, 2017, 06:14:55 PM

Eclipse

https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/CAP_CC_Memorandum_Crowdfunding_Guid_12776638A6524.pdf

"i. Individuals (cadets and senior members) cannot wear any USAF or CAP style
uniform in any photos promoting a fundraising activity or event, however the wear of unit
tee-shirts or unit polo shirts are authorized."

FWIW, pretty much every crowdfunding site for CAP that you can find easily on Google violates the above,
many fairly flagrantly.  It would be also interesting on a coffee-house level to know how many
actually received a Wing CC's approval.

Honestly, I don't even "get" this nonsense - Kickstarter is just a way for pre-cap companies to fund
production costs in advance of selling a product (i.e. your customer wants something so bad he
can't wait for you to raise money the "normal" way, so he helps pay for tooling, etc.), not to mention
has become the latest way for PACRIM companies to steal ideas from innovators and undercut them in both
price and time-to market, but at least that's about plastic "stuff".

But funding a building or activity cost?  Go out and sell popcorn or knock doors.

There is also the non-trivial issue of GFM getting 5% off the top, + credit card fees.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

More Googling reveals more then a few units with links to a static GFM as their "donate here" on their web page,
and humorously, a couple that were found in my original search have already been taken down today.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on July 10, 2017, 06:54:12 PM
More Googling reveals more then a few units with links to a static GFM as their "donate here" on their web page,
and humorously, a couple that were found in my original search have already been taken down today.

Instead of taking it down, why not just swap photos?
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

jeders

Quote from: etodd on July 10, 2017, 11:03:09 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on July 10, 2017, 06:54:12 PM

Instead of taking it down, why not just swap photos?

Because it probably wasn't the photos that caused them to be taken down.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Anthony@CAP

Quote from: Eclipse on July 10, 2017, 06:14:55 PM
Honestly, I don't even "get" this nonsense - Kickstarter is just a way for pre-cap companies to fund
production costs in advance of selling a product (i.e. your customer wants something so bad he
can't wait for you to raise money the "normal" way, so he helps pay for tooling, etc.), not to mention
has become the latest way for PACRIM companies to steal ideas from innovators and undercut them in both
price and time-to market, but at least that's about plastic "stuff".

But funding a building or activity cost?  Go out and sell popcorn or knock doors.

There is also the non-trivial issue of GFM getting 5% off the top, + credit card fees.

In terms of why, there is lots of reasons a unit or member might use a crowdfunding site (or any online site that can accept donations). GoFundMe, Kickstarter, PayPal, VENMO, etc... are all easily shared online and can reach a much greater audience (although, admittedly with a lower percent donating - but that can be made up for with outreach) Most units will never be able to reach as large of an audience with in-person fundraising. They are also all electronic, and in a world where less and less people carry cash, in-person requests for donations may not be as successful as they once were.

I will tell you, from a personnel perspective, if someone comes my door asking for donations I will turn them away. If I think it's a worthy cause, I'll ask for their information and make a donation online after I can verify the cause and organization.

In terms of fees, it's a question of resources and return. If you can effectively reach a larger audience with greater returns than an door-to-door campaign the 5% may be completely worth it. If you don't have the man-power, or are in a area where doing so would be unsafe, the 5% might be worth it.

That is not to say that there are not effective in-person fundraising activities, I actually think most well organized in person activities such as fill the boot or promotions with local merchants are the most effective. However, you can easily do both, why not do some extra online outreach? Crowdfunding and online donations are available 24/7 and can be done with minimal resources.

Eclipse

Quote from: Anthony@CAP on July 12, 2017, 04:15:12 PM
In terms of why, there is lots of reasons a unit or member might use a crowdfunding site (or any online site that can accept donations). GoFundMe, Kickstarter, PayPal, VENMO, etc... are all easily shared online and can reach a much greater audience (although, admittedly with a lower percent donating - but that can be made up for with outreach) Most units will never be able to reach as large of an audience with in-person fundraising.

I agree the lack of cash-on-hand is an issue for donations, but anytime I see that a recipient is losing 7% of what I give just to
fund a for-profit company, that's the end of that.

As to a "wider audience", that sounds good on paper, but for the most part reality gets in the way of the dream - looking at many of them, they rarely make what they are looking for, and most donations are from people you already know.

Unless a GFM page happens to wind up as the "Cause / Outrage of the day", it's going to reach the exact same people in their "circles"
as just a direct FB or in-person beg.

There's also the issue of the donations having to go into someone's personal bank account or similar, unless the page
is directly coordinated with WPB, that alone would be enough for me to say "nah"...

"That Others May Zoom"