Wheel cap chin strap

Started by Castle Bravo, July 09, 2017, 03:52:49 PM

Castle Bravo

Is the chin strap with buckle the only chin strap available/authorized for the use with the wheel cap for honor guard? I've seen people use a strap that looks like the front strap just less polished so I'm just asking for clarification.

Abby.L

Yes, it's the only one authorized. I, too, have seen people use other ones, like just pulling the front strap down and using that, having another "Front" strap, but then stowing it on the back, etc. I can't say that I noticed a difference in polish between those ones, but when you pull it to its full length it can expose a lot of usually unexposed leather, so that could be where you're seeing it.

Anywho, I digress. The strap with the buckle is supposed to be the only one authorized, though I know a lot of people/squadrons might not know any better. I had a buddy who went to the now defunct NHGA who took it pretty seriously, so our squadron wasn't one of those.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Castle Bravo

Okay, thanks for the clarification.

spaatzmom

There are actually 2 used with the authorized HG uniform.  The front strap that goes around the area above the brim and the rear chin strap that is the one that goes under the chin.  If you are going to an academy follow their items needed list and refer to the honor guard uniform regulations and manuals.

Abby.L

Quote from: spaatzmom on July 09, 2017, 05:16:37 PM
There are actually 2 used with the authorized HG uniform.  The front strap that goes around the area above the brim and the rear chin strap that is the one that goes under the chin.  If you are going to an academy follow their items needed list and refer to the honor guard uniform regulations and manuals.
Good clarification. The front strap should be there regardless and comes on all service caps, and is required for general wear of the service cap(Plus, it looks weird without it). The second one, which OP is concerned about, is the buckle style that sits on the back and is only mandatory for honor guard.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013