Georgia State Defense Force (GSDF)

Started by etodd, July 05, 2017, 07:50:57 PM

etodd

Interesting:

QuoteThe Georgia State Defense Force (GSDF) is the all-volunteer, uniformed, unpaid branch of the Georgia Department of Defense, which includes the Army and Air National Guard. The State Defense Force allows veterans and those who have never served in the armed forces the opportunity for uniformed service to help their fellow citizens.

http://clark.com/clark-cares/georgia-state-defense-force/
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on July 05, 2017, 08:17:51 PM
Because?

Lots of states have SDFs

Interesting to me anyway, because I did not realize it was a common 'thing'.  Maybe I'm the only one. Carry on. LOL

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Jester

Mississippi has one but it's Armyish. They don't have weapons to my knowledge but have MPs, which always made me scratch my head as to how that worked.

Eclipse

Wiki says 22 states have active SDFs, with nearly all of them having laws authorizing them.  Heck, my state technically has a Navy!

I think there may also be some militias referring to themselves as SDFs without the legal connection as well.

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

New York State has a State Guard. See http://dmna.ny.gov/nyg/http://dmna.ny.gov/nyg/

If needed, they answer to the state Division of Military Affairs. They are volunteers, unpaid, and unarmed. However after 11 Sept they were armed for a short period and patrolled transportation centers with New York National Guard units.

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

KASSRCrashResearch

Yeah, I am in the process of joining the Indiana Guard Reserve because they have a funeral honors team.  That, medical support and the search and rescue unit (think CAP GT but with fewer operational restrictions) are my main interests.  I think we have to weapons qualify each year but I don't really care either way.
I have complete faith in the continued absurdity of what ever is going on.

Paul Creed III

Quote from: Eclipse on July 05, 2017, 08:55:52 PM
Wiki says 22 states have active SDFs, with nearly all of them having laws authorizing them.  Heck, my state technically has a Navy!

I think there may also be some militias referring to themselves as SDFs without the legal connection as well.

Ohio has a Navy as well.

http://navalmilitia.ohio.gov/
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

stillamarine

Quote from: etodd on July 05, 2017, 08:45:56 PM
Because?

Lots of states have SDFs

Interesting to me anyway, because I did not realize it was a common 'thing'.  Maybe I'm the only one. Carry on. LOL

You realize your state has one right?
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Ozzy

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on July 05, 2017, 10:45:22 PM
New York State has a State Guard. See http://dmna.ny.gov/nyg/http://dmna.ny.gov/nyg/

If needed, they answer to the state Division of Military Affairs. They are volunteers, unpaid, and unarmed. However after 11 Sept they were armed for a short period and patrolled transportation centers with New York National Guard units.

They can be paid, it depends on the duty they are called up for.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

Luis R. Ramos

We know. It is like other volunteer state security forces.

Not called up, they can train, but not paid. They are called up, they get paid.

I am pretty sure that other state guards are set up the same way.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

etodd

Quote from: stillamarine on July 06, 2017, 01:02:49 PM
Quote from: etodd on July 05, 2017, 08:45:56 PM
Because?

Lots of states have SDFs

You realize your state has one right?

Yes ... and No.  It was disbanded. But a small group of folks started up a different version.

QuoteAs recently as April 2013, the ASDF was still seeking applicants,[10] but as of November 2013, it was stood down.[11]

After the Alabama State Defense Force was disbanded, some of its former members formed the Alabama Volunteers as a private organization organized under the Alabama State Defense Force Association, in order to continue their volunteer service in disaster relief efforts until the ALSDF is reactivated.[12] In Southern Alabama, the U.S. National Reserve Corps was started with members from the ASDF, this national organization also consists of volunteers dedicated to service in disaster relief efforts and participated with the Red Cross in 2014 in damage assessment in Baldwin County.

PhoenixRisen

Back in California, I was looking at joining the California State Military Reserve (linky) before I relocated.  From talking to those "in the know", I've always been told that the CSMR is certainly among the "model SDFs" out there, alongside the Texas State Guard (another linky).  Both forces actively provide force multiplier support for their respective state's Army and Air Guard's, and I've met members of both who have done some awesome stuff in support of their state, such as range / firearms training support (California) and security forces support (Texas).

Phillip

A few years ago (2006), I looked into joining the NM State Defense Force.  Didn't know it existed until I saw a short news article about it in the local paper.  Looked into it a bit further and went to a meeting of the nearest unit.  The people were nice, well meaning folks with nearly all of them being prior service of some sort.  Didn't join as I found the organization as a whole to be dramatically disorganized and with nearly no official documents other than a simple page on the official state National Guard website.  A few months later, I joined CAP instead.

NM still has an SDF and it appears better organized now, but still appears to largely be an afterthought within the State Department of Military Affairs.
Captain

SAREXinNY

I called, and called, and called trying to get into the NY Guard. It was like pulling teeth trying to recruit myself.  So I joined CAP instead.  It's probably for the best.  The closest unit was an engineering unit and I can barely change a light bulb.

RRLE

Quote from: Eclipse on July 05, 2017, 08:55:52 PM

I think Wiki is counting states that authorize a SDF/State Guard etc. The State Guard Association of the US (SGAUS) only lists 17 (including PR) on its State Commanders page.

Under Florida Statute 251, Florida can have a SDF but it hasn't had one in eons. By Statute 250, it could also have a Naval Militia and Marine Corps, but it doesn't.

Many SDFs were disbanded and/or put on hiatus the last several years. NY may have been one of them. MA has been in and out of active status.

RNOfficer

Quote from: PhoenixRisen on July 06, 2017, 04:52:46 PM
Back in California, I was looking at joining the California State Military Reserve (linky) before I relocated.  From talking to those "in the know", I've always been told that the CSMR is certainly among the "model SDFs" out there, alongside the Texas State Guard (another linky).  Both forces actively provide force multiplier support for their respective state's Army and Air Guard's, and I've met members of both who have done some awesome stuff in support of their state, such as range / firearms training support (California) and security forces support (Texas).

I've heard anyone speak of the CSMR positively. It gives out Lt Colonelcies by the blushful to even minor politicians and judges. The CSMR director of the state military museum  had a fake doctoral degree, and, to my knowledge members are not permitted or trained with any weapons. I don't understand how a body could be a "military reserve" when they have  no weapons training AND they accept those with no prior military service without providing  their own boot camp. Indeed of the several Lt Cols I know, only one has any prior.

PHall

Quote from: RNOfficer on July 11, 2017, 02:26:40 AM
Quote from: PhoenixRisen on July 06, 2017, 04:52:46 PM

I've heard anyone speak of the CSMR positively. It gives out Lt Colonelcies by the blushful to even minor politicians and judges. The CSMR director of the state military museum  had a fake doctoral degree, and, to my knowledge members are not permitted or trained with any weapons. I don't understand how a body could be a "military reserve" when they have  no weapons training AND they accept those with no prior military service without providing  their own boot camp. Indeed of the several Lt Cols I know, only one has any prior.

Yeah, you might want to do a bit of research before you trash the CSMR. It may have been as you describe 20 years ago, but that's not how it is today.
Or you can ask the Commander of the 100th Troop Command, CSMR. He's here on CAPTalk, COL Ned Lee.